Subject: "Targets using 1. 2. 3. etc." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #3534
Show all folders

MeoilaxenzSat 15-Oct-11 07:53 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
80 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3534, "Targets using 1. 2. 3. etc."

Can I put in a request to your work load(which is no doubt a mile long).
Can you put in a trigger or something that will stop actions if say you go to cast blind 2. and right as you hit enter something walks into the room and you become the 2. or 3. etc

per haps say something like "That would be foolish to do that to yourself."

Just a suggestion for us perpetual morons.

Thanks

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Nope, Zulghinlour, 16-Oct-11 12:38 AM, #1
     Reply Is there some compelling reason why..., Torak, 16-Oct-11 01:19 AM, #2
     Reply I believe it came from using spells to avoid many skill..., Straklaw, 16-Oct-11 04:46 AM, #3
     Reply RE: Is there some compelling reason why..., Zulghinlour, 17-Oct-11 10:31 AM, #5
          Reply It would be nice, The Heretic, 17-Oct-11 03:19 PM, #6
          Reply RE: It would be nice, Daevryn, 17-Oct-11 03:23 PM, #7
          Reply Don't think your understanding the request..., Torak, 18-Oct-11 01:12 AM, #8
               Reply RE: Don't think your understanding the request..., Zulghinlour, 18-Oct-11 12:20 PM, #9
                    Reply If you read what I wrote..., Torak, 20-Oct-11 11:49 AM, #10
                         Reply Heh, you're funny, Tsunami, 20-Oct-11 12:09 PM, #11
     Reply Thanks, I was hoping it could have been a simple fix. ..., Meoilaxenz, 16-Oct-11 11:32 PM, #4

ZulghinlourSun 16-Oct-11 12:38 AM
9792 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3537, "Nope"
In response to Reply #0

>Can I put in a request to your work load(which is no doubt a
>mile long).
>Can you put in a trigger or something that will stop actions
>if say you go to cast blind 2. and right as you hit enter
>something walks into the room and you become the 2. or 3. etc

Because you have complete control over that.

>per haps say something like "That would be foolish to do that
>to yourself."

And, what you're asking is for us to add this to every single spell/skill/etc. in the game. And that's way more work than is reasonable.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

TorakSun 16-Oct-11 01:18 AM
Member since 15th Feb 2007
1216 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3538, "Is there some compelling reason why..."
In response to Reply #1
Edited on Sun 16-Oct-11 01:19 AM

...when you cast some spells on yourself, you lose skill percentage?

I mean, I guess you could rank by spamming blindness on yourself and remaxing it But why lose the %?

StraklawSun 16-Oct-11 04:46 AM
Member since 10th Mar 2003
1014 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#3539, "I believe it came from using spells to avoid many skill..."
In response to Reply #2

People would just cast chill touch, or afflict, etc on themselves to drop themselves to just under 90%ish hp so that things like backstab, charge, cleave, etc couldn't be used on them.

I know I still do similar things today when I go up against a thief. (Do I want to heal myself up all the way and just get backstabbed again, or go charging out at 85% hp and at least dodge that?)

ZulghinlourMon 17-Oct-11 10:31 AM
9792 posts
#3561, "RE: Is there some compelling reason why..."
In response to Reply #2

Because there are some spells that don't let you cast on yourself, and you could get your skill to 100% by casting on yourself with no real work at all. Or in the case of something like blindness, you can just go off and hide somewhere and cast on yourself repeatedly until you hit 100% without any real risk.

The HereticMon 17-Oct-11 03:19 PM
212 posts
#3570, "It would be nice"
In response to Reply #5

If you could cast spells on yourself just to see what they do. Wouldn't it be just as easy to block learning as causing a percentage loss?

DaevrynMon 17-Oct-11 03:23 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
#3571, "RE: It would be nice"
In response to Reply #6

> Wouldn't it be just as easy to block learning as causing a
>percentage loss?

Other reasons for not wanting you to cast offensive stuff on yourself aside, no, it really isn't. Not without rewriting a serious amount of code.

There are some sad moments in working with a code base that's about old enough to vote.

TorakTue 18-Oct-11 01:11 AM
1216 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3577, "Don't think your understanding the request..."
In response to Reply #5
Edited on Tue 18-Oct-11 01:12 AM

I guess what I was trying to say was is there a reason it needs to cause skill loss. I'm fine with it not improving skills or not even working at all (like typing kill self or 1. etc and it telling you you're a dumbass).

I'm against it actually lowering skill percentage and working because 99% of the time it's a slip up and a mistake and it can really screw you on some hard to improve spells.

ZulghinlourTue 18-Oct-11 12:20 PM
9792 posts
#3580, "RE: Don't think your understanding the request..."
In response to Reply #8

Did you even read my response?

Because there are some spells that don't let you cast on yourself, and you could get your skill to 100% by casting on yourself with no real work at all. Or in the case of something like blindness, you can just go off and hide somewhere and cast on yourself repeatedly until you hit 100% without any real risk.

>I guess what I was trying to say was is there a reason it
>needs to cause skill loss. I'm fine with it not improving
>skills or not even working at all (like typing kill self or 1.
>etc and it telling you you're a dumbass).

It causes skill loss because otherwise there is nothing preventing you from easily getting spells to 100% with very little risk. The amount of work to make it do what you want basically requires a change to every single spell/supplication/cabal power in the game, and that's not worth the effort when you can easily prevent this yourself.

>I'm against it actually lowering skill percentage and working
>because 99% of the time it's a slip up and a mistake and it
>can really screw you on some hard to improve spells.

And that's completely under your control. You don't have to use 1. or 2. or 3. Especially now that you can shorten names there is even less reason to use 1. or 2. or 3.

TorakThu 20-Oct-11 11:49 AM
1216 posts
#3589, "If you read what I wrote..."
In response to Reply #9

"I'm fine with it not improving skills or not even working at all"

I was assuming that going from skill loss to no % gain or a spell not working wouldn't be that difficult but apparently not.

I get that people can spam it to 100% dude, sheesh. That wasn't what I asked.

TsunamiThu 20-Oct-11 12:09 PM
Member since 25th Mar 2008
1509 posts
#3590, "Heh, you're funny"
In response to Reply #10

Quoth the Zulgh:

"The amount of work to make it do what you want basically requires a change to every single spell/supplication/cabal power in the game"

He isn't stupid. He sees what you are asking for. It's just not as simple as you would hope.

MeoilaxenzSun 16-Oct-11 11:32 PM
80 posts
#3548, "Thanks, I was hoping it could have been a simple fix. ..."
In response to Reply #1

n/t

Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #3534 Previous topic | Next topic