Subject: "Objective definitions on good, neutral, and evil?" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #3421
Show all folders

Align Puzzled (Anonymous)Sun 28-Aug-11 07:33 PM
Charter member
#3421, "Objective definitions on good, neutral, and evil?"

What are the objective definitions of good, evil, and neutral?
They are constantly referred to by admins/immortals on the forums, but the Academy didn't really delineate what they WERE. I understand this is probably to keep people thinking and roleplaying, but there's obviously an evolved group concept that I am clueless about.

I've been reading a lot of forum posts to understand the standards of RP (vs game culture, vs playability, and others) on Carrion Fields.

In particular this post stands out:
http://forums.carrionfields.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=6&topic_id=4174&mesg_id=4175&page=

For example, on some other post, the role of a character who goes around killing other good characters/mobs is discussed. The answer is that while there are particular roles that might justify this to an extent (good ragers killing elfish invokers), the final decision would be based on objective nature of the character's actions, not whether it thought it was "good" in its own mind.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ScarabaeusWed 31-Aug-11 07:11 PM
Member since 19th Feb 2011
1524 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3428, "RE: Objective definitions on good, neutral, and evil?"
In response to Reply #0

I confess that the Cult of the Great Wild Beast has probably muddied a fraction of the waters a bit, as well. (Fortunately, we make up a slice of the player pie that requires a label and and arrow to identify...)

DurNominatorTue 30-Aug-11 09:22 AM
Member since 08th Nov 2004
2018 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3427, "RE: Objective definitions on good, neutral, and evil?"
In response to Reply #0

-Good aligned characters should not kill good aligned mobs. You have request to get their gear and you lose xp for killing them, so there should be no mechanical reason to kill them either.

-Good aligned characters should avoid killing good aligned PC's. Good aligned PC's fighting to death should be rare. A Fortress member should never kill another good aligned character.

-Good aligned PCs should not mass murder neutral mobs for selfish reasons (ranking, getting coins).

-Neutrals have more leeway, but generally they shouldn't be acting consistently evil. Neutrals are allowed to do evil things, but they should be feeling a bit uneasy about it, enough so that they don't do them frequently.

the-me (Anonymous)Mon 29-Aug-11 03:23 PM
Charter member
#3423, "RE: Objective definitions on good, neutral, and evil?"
In response to Reply #0

Yeah its from the general consensus, the things in the academy at the start tell you all about your align and whats expected of you, seems pretty clear, wish I'd paid more attention to the academy Old dogs, new tricks...

highbutterflyTue 30-Aug-11 03:26 AM
Member since 24th Aug 2011
364 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3425, "RE: Objective definitions on good, neutral, and evil?"
In response to Reply #1

Yes, but the Academy doesn't do an excellent job of laying out the objective definitions of good, neutral, and evil. Sp does anyone have an answer to the question?

It does do a GREAT job of explaining what the traditional roles and cultures are.

Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #3421 Previous topic | Next topic