Subject: "(DELETED) [TRIBUNAL] Umiron the Sorcerer-Lord of Order" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #129093
Show all folders

Death_AngelSat 10-Sep-16 02:48 PM
Member since 20th Sep 2024
17170 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#129093, "(DELETED) [TRIBUNAL] Umiron the Sorcerer-Lord of Order"

Sat Sep 10 14:47:26 2016

At 10 o'clock PM, Day of Deception, 23rd of the Month of the Dragon
on the Theran calendar Umiron perished, never to return.

Race:gnome
Class:conjurer
Level:59
Alignment:Neutral
Ethos:Orderly
Cabal:TRIBUNAL, the Blood Tribunal
Hours:11943

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply My opinion, Gulromz, 17-Sep-16 09:43 PM, #37
Reply Just as I was going to roll Umiron shaman, Kstatida, 11-Sep-16 03:02 AM, #16
Reply RE: (DELETED) [TRIBUNAL] Umiron the Sorcerer-Lord of Or..., Demos, 10-Sep-16 04:12 PM, #6
Reply Thanks for being around.., Raltevio, 10-Sep-16 03:25 PM, #5
Reply You seemed so sure of your decisions, its a shame you d..., Grifter, 10-Sep-16 03:10 PM, #3
Reply RE: (DELETED) [TRIBUNAL] Umiron the Sorcerer-Lord of Or..., Umiron, 10-Sep-16 02:54 PM, #1
     Reply Thanks for all the fish!, Luthantulas, 10-Sep-16 03:02 PM, #2
     Reply Damnit., Iunna, 10-Sep-16 03:25 PM, #4
     Reply Thank you for everything., Aereglen, 10-Sep-16 04:00 PM, #7
     Reply Thanks for answering my questions, TJHuron, 10-Sep-16 04:04 PM, #8
     Reply I've agreed with most of your decisions., Doof, 10-Sep-16 05:01 PM, #9
     Reply Bummer., Whiysdan, 10-Sep-16 06:12 PM, #10
     Reply You did a great job, thank you, lasentia, 10-Sep-16 06:57 PM, #11
     Reply *thumbs up*, Warren, 10-Sep-16 07:34 PM, #12
     Reply If you could go ahead and stop talking, that'd be great..., Aereglen, 10-Sep-16 08:29 PM, #13
          Reply Well, Kstatida, 11-Sep-16 03:05 AM, #17
               Reply No., Aereglen, 11-Sep-16 11:49 AM, #19
                    Reply Gray or Grey, Warren, 13-Sep-16 10:25 AM, #23
                         Reply You asked people to help you cheat., Aereglen, 13-Sep-16 02:33 PM, #25
                              Reply That's your (narrow) POV, Warren, 13-Sep-16 04:10 PM, #26
                              Reply RE: That's your (narrow) POV, Aereglen, 13-Sep-16 08:15 PM, #28
                                   Reply Wrong., Warren, 13-Sep-16 10:50 PM, #29
                                        Reply Incorrect. , Lhydia, 14-Sep-16 06:19 AM, #30
                                             Reply lol., Warren, 14-Sep-16 10:05 AM, #31
                                             Reply Exactly., Aereglen, 14-Sep-16 10:20 AM, #32
                                                  Reply Hello Kitty - here I come!, Warren, 14-Sep-16 10:34 AM, #33
                              Reply To be fair, KaguMaru, 14-Sep-16 03:24 PM, #34
     Reply RE: (DELETED) [TRIBUNAL] Umiron the Sorcerer-Lord of Or..., Verathi, 10-Sep-16 09:23 PM, #14
     Reply Well, I agreed with your "concept" of what CF should be..., TMNS, 11-Sep-16 02:22 AM, #15
     Reply Sad Panda Face, Ysaloerye, 11-Sep-16 09:29 AM, #18
     Reply Sad to see you leaving., KoeKhaos, 12-Sep-16 04:31 AM, #20
     Reply Thanks for all your hard work., Drehir, 12-Sep-16 10:53 AM, #21
     Reply You will be missed., Akresius, 12-Sep-16 11:24 AM, #22
     Reply RE: (DELETED) [TRIBUNAL] Umiron the Sorcerer-Lord of Or..., incognito, 13-Sep-16 01:51 PM, #24
     Reply Good luck!, NoobAgain, 13-Sep-16 06:44 PM, #27
     Reply Too bad you left after a bold decision, vorian, 15-Sep-16 09:27 PM, #35
          Reply Don't conflate 2 issues , incognito, 16-Sep-16 06:56 AM, #36

GulromzSat 17-Sep-16 09:42 PM
Member since 03rd Jun 2016
4 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#129160, "My opinion"
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Sat 17-Sep-16 09:43 PM

Is that you did a lot of good, but i truly believe you were the biggest to fk up CF. I had a theory you were an imm from another mudd trying to kill off Cf.
Considering all the #### you did to players who genuinely tried to help cf.

KstatidaSun 11-Sep-16 03:02 AM
Member since 12th Feb 2015
2214 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#129109, "Just as I was going to roll Umiron shaman"
In response to Reply #0

You had to ruin this as well. Good thing though is that thanks to you, I can do it w/o you around )

P.S. I kid. GLWYN, you tried your best and we all thank you for your efforts.

DemosSat 10-Sep-16 03:56 PM
Member since 20th Apr 2003
211 posts
#129099, "RE: (DELETED) [TRIBUNAL] Umiron the Sorcerer-Lord of Or..."
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Sat 10-Sep-16 04:12 PM

I wish I could say that there was a different likely outcome. The amount of petty #### you've had thrown at you is impressive. Staggering really. Good luck with whatever comes next. Hopefully you just rock some morts. 12k hours is an incredible effort. Congratulations, and thank you.

RaltevioSat 10-Sep-16 03:25 PM
Member since 07th Jul 2015
134 posts
#129098, "Thanks for being around.."
In response to Reply #0

You were a voice of reason and entertained a lot more of my BS than most people would. I'm sorry I couldn't be around to support you guys more in recent months.

You certainly seemed, at times, to have a tremendous workload on your shoulders and I really respect all the graft you put into the MUD as a player and an Imm.

All the best, and I hope future projects go well, whatever they may be.

Ralt.

GrifterSat 10-Sep-16 03:10 PM
Member since 17th Dec 2015
13 posts
#129096, "You seemed so sure of your decisions, its a shame you d..."
In response to Reply #0

Good luck w whats next.

UmironSat 10-Sep-16 02:54 PM
Member since 29th May 2017
1497 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#129094, "RE: (DELETED) [TRIBUNAL] Umiron the Sorcerer-Lord of Or..."
In response to Reply #0

I have often told others that when it's not fun anymore it's time to quit, and with that being the case for me during the majority of this past year it is probably time I practice what I preach.

A big thanks to Scarabaeus, Valguarnera and Daevryn for all the mentoring and advice along the way.

I can be reached at umiron@hush.com as long as I remember to check it once a week.

Until next time, folks.

LuthantulasSat 10-Sep-16 03:02 PM
Member since 20th Mar 2016
9 posts
#129095, "Thanks for all the fish!"
In response to Reply #1

"Protip:" You've always got my vote for a welcome back should you have the itch.

Thank you for all the advice, and Sorry for my errant errors!

IunnaSat 10-Sep-16 03:25 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
473 posts
#129097, "Damnit."
In response to Reply #1

This sucks.

You can't please everyone, or even most people - so yeah, the best bet is to just do whatever it is that makes YOU happy.

Keep an eye on your inbox and thanks for the dolls.

AereglenSat 10-Sep-16 04:00 PM
Member since 23rd Apr 2011
476 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#129100, "Thank you for everything."
In response to Reply #1

The work you put in will help out, and I hope you play a mortal sometime if you would enjoy it. I wish you good fortune with future endeavors, and good journey.

cheers

TJHuronSat 10-Sep-16 04:04 PM
Member since 28th Nov 2007
1132 posts
#129101, "Thanks for answering my questions"
In response to Reply #1

I hope I wasn't a pain in the ass player in your eyes. I may not have agreed with all the changes made but I came around on most and I know you did it with the best intentions and that is what matters the most. And I at least tried to keep things respectable. I hope it came off that way.

I know what you did was like 90% toil and putting up with BS and 10% gratitude so you certainly deserve a lot of respect for all that you did.

DoofSat 10-Sep-16 05:01 PM
Member since 03rd Dec 2009
200 posts
#129102, "I've agreed with most of your decisions."
In response to Reply #1

I think you've always had the mud's best interests at heart, but I can also understand how the incessant bitching could be wearing.

Hope to see you back sooner rather than later. Thanks for all of the thankless hours.

WhiysdanSat 10-Sep-16 06:12 PM
Member since 04th Aug 2011
243 posts
#129103, "Bummer."
In response to Reply #1

This is a bigtime bummer. Hopefully you know how much all of your work and dedication means. You definitely didn't hear it enough.

=w=

lasentiaSat 10-Sep-16 06:57 PM
Member since 27th Apr 2010
987 posts
#129104, "You did a great job, thank you"
In response to Reply #1
Edited on Sat 10-Sep-16 06:57 PM

Thanks for the patience and support.
Sorry the playerbase of cf gets overshadowed by a few trolling ass clowns that think they know how the mud should work but never once put their asses in your shoes to know what an impossible job it isto be a high level imm and deal with the endless ####stream that they vomit forth at you for volunteering your time on their behalf.

So to all those people, kindly go #### yourselves and leave cf for good so that the few people who still enjoy this game will be able to do so, and just maybe thera will be the place we remember it as once more.

Oh, and yay margarita pitchers.

WarrenSat 10-Sep-16 07:34 PM
Member since 17th Dec 2012
396 posts
#129105, "*thumbs up*"
In response to Reply #1

Good luck! I've had very few interactions with you in game. But on the forums you were almost always objective, clear, and concise.

To quote Alliser Throne with minor modification.

Do you know what leadership means, CF'ers? It means that the person in charge (of coding) gets second-guessed by every clever little QHCF'er with a mouth. But if he starts second-guessing himself, that's the end. For him... for the clever little QHCF'ers... for everyone. This is not the end, not for us. Not if you lot do your duty for however long it takes to beat them back. And then you get to go on hating me, and I get to go on wishing Zhulg had finished the job.

AereglenSat 10-Sep-16 08:29 PM
476 posts
#129106, "If you could go ahead and stop talking, that'd be great..."
In response to Reply #12
Edited on Sat 10-Sep-16 08:29 PM

nt

KstatidaSun 11-Sep-16 03:05 AM
Member since 12th Feb 2015
2214 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#129110, "Well"
In response to Reply #13

At least Chris earnestly contributed to the future of CF while you were sitting there doing nothing.

I'm calling beront here, because it's still the case.

AereglenSun 11-Sep-16 11:49 AM
476 posts
#129113, "No."
In response to Reply #17

>At least Chris earnestly contributed to the future of CF
>while you were sitting there doing nothing.
No. That not even funny, and no.

>I'm calling beront here, because it's still the case.
Yes, because he also does so much good.

If trying to ruin the game was contributing, then you would be right.

WarrenTue 13-Sep-16 10:25 AM
396 posts
#129121, "Gray or Grey"
In response to Reply #19

I have never tried to 'ruin' the game. Clearly, this is a difference in perspective.

What I have done is:

(1) I've brought up some serious issues with empowerment, creating a huge mess on the forums. While this was completely unintentional, some/many players seemed to feel the same way. Empowerment has been changed and is no longer required.

To me, nothing has changed, because you are still limited to the 2-3 IMM's that actively empower you if you want to be competitive at hero. To some people, perhaps this doesn't matter.

(2) I've attempted to circumvent (within the rules) the onerous and time consuming requirement to obtain edge points to customize new characters _and_ remain competitive at hero. Something, mind you, which has been a point of contention within the playerbase for a _very_ long time.

This requirement has been removed, and a new "special sauce", see Jormyr, is now being contemplated by the staff to replace the old crappy sauce that (mostly) everyone hated, but was forced to use because there was no other sauce.

I don't see this as ruining the game, but the objective constructive process of improving it by pointing out glaring flaws, cutting away the unnecessary and un-fun aspects, and replacing it with more fun alternatives.

AereglenTue 13-Sep-16 02:33 PM
476 posts
#129123, "You asked people to help you cheat."
In response to Reply #23

You asked it on a public forum, and not the game's official forum. Stop trying to put a spin on it. Stop acting like you have good intentions. You wanted people to help you cheat so you could have one up on the other players.

WarrenTue 13-Sep-16 04:10 PM
396 posts
#129124, "That's your (narrow) POV"
In response to Reply #25

A POV that is completely incorrect and without merit, as I've articulated above.

If all you can manage to summon as your claim in retort is, "because I said so - so it must be true", then do us all a favor and stop hijacking Umiron's death thread and bring your petulant vitriol elsewhere.

AereglenTue 13-Sep-16 08:15 PM
476 posts
#129126, "RE: That's your (narrow) POV"
In response to Reply #26

That's not my point of view, it's not my opinion. You know there is a system in place to stop people from using scripts to farm explore and observe points. You asked people to help you do exactly what that system was implemented to stop. That's a fact. Your claims of that being constructive is "because I said so - so it must be true." So take your own advice about petulant vitriol.

WarrenTue 13-Sep-16 10:50 PM
396 posts
#129127, "Wrong."
In response to Reply #28

There are mechanics in place to stop brute force obs/exp farming.

A script would not have that issue, as you wouldn't be looking at things that aren't there.

I won't respond further, because this is a totally moot point, thanks to the staff removing the need to spend countless, endless hours farming obs/exp to customize your character.

LhydiaWed 14-Sep-16 06:19 AM
2390 posts
#129129, "Incorrect. "
In response to Reply #29

They didn't remove the need to spend countless, endless hours farming obs/exp to customize your character.

They removed the option of customizing your character. =P

...then threw the car keys into the pond.

WarrenWed 14-Sep-16 10:05 AM
396 posts
#129130, "lol."
In response to Reply #30

Or that.

I doubt that is the permanent resolution, as the destruction of EP's (or ways to get them) could possibly have unintended negative consequences affecting the longevity of the game.

AereglenWed 14-Sep-16 10:20 AM
476 posts
#129131, "Exactly."
In response to Reply #30

Nobody put a gun to anyone's head and forced them to farm obs/exp. And if anyone says they can't compete without those edge points, CF might not be the game for them, because that's a load of crap. If people always used that kind of logic, nobody would try an unempowered priest because of the penalties.

WarrenWed 14-Sep-16 10:34 AM
396 posts
#129132, "Hello Kitty - here I come!"
In response to Reply #32

nt

KaguMaruWed 14-Sep-16 03:24 PM
Member since 15th Sep 2012
805 posts
#129134, "To be fair"
In response to Reply #25

He wasn't doing it to gain an advantage over other players or he'd have kept it to PM's/AIM like everyone else has done for the last ten years. By posting it on a public forum he was giving the advantage (there was no advantage) to everyone

VerathiSat 10-Sep-16 09:23 PM
Member since 10th Dec 2014
92 posts
#129107, "RE: (DELETED) [TRIBUNAL] Umiron the Sorcerer-Lord of Or..."
In response to Reply #1

I am glad for you, to be able to relax and not have the stress of it. I am incredibly saddened for the mud though. You will be missed.

As far as everyone saying they agreed with you, well I didn't always agree with you but I got smart enough eventually to realize when I didn't I was more than likely the wrong one.

TMNSSun 11-Sep-16 02:22 AM
Member since 10th Jun 2009
2670 posts
#129108, "Well, I agreed with your "concept" of what CF should be..."
In response to Reply #1

And I enjoyed you setting things straight with people a couple times.

I will echo what someone said though. As refreshing as your posting was, I do felt you got sucked into the toxic forum drama that we all swim in. Hopefully a couple months away from CF will allow you to be refreshed and come back with a character or twelve

YsaloeryeSun 11-Sep-16 09:29 AM
Member since 09th Apr 2006
315 posts
#129112, "Sad Panda Face"
In response to Reply #1

Sorry, truly sorry to see this.
I wish all the griefers and trolls had an inkling of how much you contributed to their funstick over the years.
I guess its in the nature of some to want someone to blame for perceived injustices, I've been around long enough to see several Imms be the focus of their inane and vocal expressions.

I get it when you say, when it's not fun any more, time to move on and I'd be lying if I didn't admit I've been close a few times over the last couple of years.

This is a major loss for the game, but I wish you the best.

KoeKhaosMon 12-Sep-16 04:31 AM
400 posts
#129115, "Sad to see you leaving."
In response to Reply #1

I may have disagreed with a few of your views and decisions, but overall I think you did an excellent job as an Imm and coder. CF will definitely miss you, even those bitching.

DrehirMon 12-Sep-16 10:53 AM
Member since 19th Jul 2015
85 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#129116, "Thanks for all your hard work."
In response to Reply #1

You put in a lot of effort into being an admin of the game and making multiple game changes.
At the end of the day, you have to do what is best for you.
I hope you come back if you find that spark again.
Then again, I hope I do too.

-D

AkresiusMon 12-Sep-16 11:24 AM
Member since 15th Nov 2011
280 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#129117, "You will be missed."
In response to Reply #1

I thought you did a great job.

incognitoTue 13-Sep-16 01:51 PM
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#129122, "RE: (DELETED) [TRIBUNAL] Umiron the Sorcerer-Lord of Or..."
In response to Reply #1

>I have often told others that when it's not fun anymore it's
>time to quit, and with that being the case for me during the
>majority of this past year it is probably time I practice what
>I preach.
>
>A big thanks to Scarabaeus, Valguarnera and Daevryn for all
>the mentoring and advice along the way.
>
>I can be reached at umiron@hush.com as long as I remember to
>check it once a week.
>
>Until next time, folks.
>

Thanks for all you did. Just because I think giving more edges to the have nots is preferable to reducing edges for the haves doesn't mean I don't appreciate all the other stuff.

To be honest there is no perfect solution to edges. I just think customisation is a good thing to keep where it exists.

NoobAgainTue 13-Sep-16 06:42 PM
Member since 01st Mar 2007
411 posts
#129125, "Good luck!"
In response to Reply #1
Edited on Tue 13-Sep-16 06:44 PM

It must be a thankless job. You volunteer all of your time on a non-profit project and what you get from the community is often vitriol. For what it's worth, a lot of people (myself included) really appreciated what you did, even when sometimes we did not agree with the direction that the changes were heading.

I'll leave one substantive comment on the game. A huge amount of good/great content was created through the edges - I think most people like the idea of having them, though there is clearly disagreement on what's a good system to award them. I encourage the staff/next head coder to *quickly* (though not hastily) implement a system that would allow players to take advantage of this great edge-based customization. (Right now, with the removal of the obs/explo exp, there are very limited ways of getting them.) Speaking from personal experience only, I've been discouraged to play / roll character that rely heavily on edges (e.g. Whispers warrior that really benefits from the Four Bird Edges, etc.).

I fundamentally believe that opening up edges will increase the playerbase.

vorianThu 15-Sep-16 09:27 PM
Member since 23rd Oct 2009
212 posts
#129139, "Too bad you left after a bold decision"
In response to Reply #1

Well done with the edge system modification: I'm sure it will help improving playerbase in futur.

It's sad to see you leave after such a bold move!

incognitoFri 16-Sep-16 06:56 AM
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#129141, "Don't conflate 2 issues "
In response to Reply #35

How many edges a char is able to get and how those edge points are accrued are separate issues. For example, i would argue that even if you think obs and explore exp don't work as sources of edge points, you could just give all chars more edge points when you remove this source of them.

Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #129093 Previous topic | Next topic