Go back to previous topic
Forum Name The Battlefield
Topic subject(DELETED) [TRIBUNAL] Umiron the Sorcerer-Lord of Order
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=129093
129093, (DELETED) [TRIBUNAL] Umiron the Sorcerer-Lord of Order
Posted by Death_Angel on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Sat Sep 10 14:47:26 2016

At 10 o'clock PM, Day of Deception, 23rd of the Month of the Dragon
on the Theran calendar Umiron perished, never to return.
Race:gnome
Class:conjurer
Level:59
Alignment:Neutral
Ethos:Orderly
Cabal:TRIBUNAL, the Blood Tribunal
Hours:11943
129160, My opinion
Posted by Gulromz on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Is that you did a lot of good, but i truly believe you were the biggest to fk up CF. I had a theory you were an imm from another mudd trying to kill off Cf.
Considering all the #### you did to players who genuinely tried to help cf.
129109, Just as I was going to roll Umiron shaman
Posted by Kstatida on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You had to ruin this as well. Good thing though is that thanks to you, I can do it w/o you around :))

P.S. I kid. GLWYN, you tried your best and we all thank you for your efforts.
129099, RE: (DELETED) [TRIBUNAL] Umiron the Sorcerer-Lord of Order
Posted by Demos on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I wish I could say that there was a different likely outcome. The amount of petty #### you've had thrown at you is impressive. Staggering really. Good luck with whatever comes next. Hopefully you just rock some morts. 12k hours is an incredible effort. Congratulations, and thank you.
129098, Thanks for being around..
Posted by Raltevio on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You were a voice of reason and entertained a lot more of my BS than most people would. I'm sorry I couldn't be around to support you guys more in recent months.

You certainly seemed, at times, to have a tremendous workload on your shoulders and I really respect all the graft you put into the MUD as a player and an Imm.

All the best, and I hope future projects go well, whatever they may be.

Ralt.
129096, You seemed so sure of your decisions, its a shame you didnt stick around to seem them bear fruit.
Posted by Grifter on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Good luck w whats next.

129094, RE: (DELETED) [TRIBUNAL] Umiron the Sorcerer-Lord of Order
Posted by Umiron on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I have often told others that when it's not fun anymore it's time to quit, and with that being the case for me during the majority of this past year it is probably time I practice what I preach.

A big thanks to Scarabaeus, Valguarnera and Daevryn for all the mentoring and advice along the way.

I can be reached at umiron@hush.com as long as I remember to check it once a week.

Until next time, folks.
129095, Thanks for all the fish!
Posted by Luthantulas on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
"Protip:" You've always got my vote for a welcome back should you have the itch.

Thank you for all the advice, and Sorry for my errant errors!
129097, Damnit.
Posted by Iunna on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
This sucks.

You can't please everyone, or even most people - so yeah, the best bet is to just do whatever it is that makes YOU happy.

Keep an eye on your inbox and thanks for the dolls.
129100, Thank you for everything.
Posted by Aereglen on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
The work you put in will help out, and I hope you play a mortal sometime if you would enjoy it. I wish you good fortune with future endeavors, and good journey.

cheers
129101, Thanks for answering my questions
Posted by TJHuron on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I hope I wasn't a pain in the ass player in your eyes. I may not have agreed with all the changes made but I came around on most and I know you did it with the best intentions and that is what matters the most. And I at least tried to keep things respectable. I hope it came off that way.

I know what you did was like 90% toil and putting up with BS and 10% gratitude so you certainly deserve a lot of respect for all that you did.
129102, I've agreed with most of your decisions.
Posted by Doof on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I think you've always had the mud's best interests at heart, but I can also understand how the incessant bitching could be wearing.

Hope to see you back sooner rather than later. Thanks for all of the thankless hours.
129103, Bummer.
Posted by Whiysdan on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
This is a bigtime bummer. Hopefully you know how much all of your work and dedication means. You definitely didn't hear it enough.

=w=
129104, You did a great job, thank you
Posted by lasentia on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Thanks for the patience and support.
Sorry the playerbase of cf gets overshadowed by a few trolling ass clowns that think they know how the mud should work but never once put their asses in your shoes to know what an impossible job it isto be a high level imm and deal with the endless ####stream that they vomit forth at you for volunteering your time on their behalf.

So to all those people, kindly go #### yourselves and leave cf for good so that the few people who still enjoy this game will be able to do so, and just maybe thera will be the place we remember it as once more.

Oh, and yay margarita pitchers.
129105, *thumbs up*
Posted by Warren on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Good luck! I've had very few interactions with you in game. But on the forums you were almost always objective, clear, and concise.

To quote Alliser Throne with minor modification.

Do you know what leadership means, CF'ers? It means that the person in charge (of coding) gets second-guessed by every clever little QHCF'er with a mouth. But if he starts second-guessing himself, that's the end. For him... for the clever little QHCF'ers... for everyone. This is not the end, not for us. Not if you lot do your duty for however long it takes to beat them back. And then you get to go on hating me, and I get to go on wishing Zhulg had finished the job.
129106, If you could go ahead and stop talking, that'd be great.nt
nt
129110, Well
Posted by Kstatida on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
At least Chris earnestly contributed to the future of CF while you were sitting there doing nothing.

I'm calling beront here, because it's still the case.
129113, No.
>At least Chris earnestly contributed to the future of CF
>while you were sitting there doing nothing.
No. That not even funny, and no.

>I'm calling beront here, because it's still the case.
Yes, because he also does so much good.

If trying to ruin the game was contributing, then you would be right.
129121, Gray or Grey
I have never tried to 'ruin' the game. Clearly, this is a difference in perspective.

What I have done is:

(1) I've brought up some serious issues with empowerment, creating a huge mess on the forums. While this was completely unintentional, some/many players seemed to feel the same way. Empowerment has been changed and is no longer required.

To me, nothing has changed, because you are still limited to the 2-3 IMM's that actively empower you if you want to be competitive at hero. To some people, perhaps this doesn't matter.

(2) I've attempted to circumvent (within the rules) the onerous and time consuming requirement to obtain edge points to customize new characters _and_ remain competitive at hero. Something, mind you, which has been a point of contention within the playerbase for a _very_ long time.

This requirement has been removed, and a new "special sauce", see Jormyr, is now being contemplated by the staff to replace the old crappy sauce that (mostly) everyone hated, but was forced to use because there was no other sauce.

I don't see this as ruining the game, but the objective constructive process of improving it by pointing out glaring flaws, cutting away the unnecessary and un-fun aspects, and replacing it with more fun alternatives.

129123, You asked people to help you cheat.
You asked it on a public forum, and not the game's official forum. Stop trying to put a spin on it. Stop acting like you have good intentions. You wanted people to help you cheat so you could have one up on the other players.
129124, That's your (narrow) POV
A POV that is completely incorrect and without merit, as I've articulated above.

If all you can manage to summon as your claim in retort is, "because I said so - so it must be true", then do us all a favor and stop hijacking Umiron's death thread and bring your petulant vitriol elsewhere.
129126, RE: That's your (narrow) POV
That's not my point of view, it's not my opinion. You know there is a system in place to stop people from using scripts to farm explore and observe points. You asked people to help you do exactly what that system was implemented to stop. That's a fact. Your claims of that being constructive is "because I said so - so it must be true." So take your own advice about petulant vitriol.
129127, Wrong.
There are mechanics in place to stop brute force obs/exp farming.

A script would not have that issue, as you wouldn't be looking at things that aren't there.

I won't respond further, because this is a totally moot point, thanks to the staff removing the need to spend countless, endless hours farming obs/exp to customize your character.

129129, Incorrect.
Posted by Lhydia on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
They didn't remove the need to spend countless, endless hours farming obs/exp to customize your character.

They removed the option of customizing your character. =P

...then threw the car keys into the pond.
129130, lol.
Or that.

I doubt that is the permanent resolution, as the destruction of EP's (or ways to get them) could possibly have unintended negative consequences affecting the longevity of the game.

129131, Exactly.
Nobody put a gun to anyone's head and forced them to farm obs/exp. And if anyone says they can't compete without those edge points, CF might not be the game for them, because that's a load of crap. If people always used that kind of logic, nobody would try an unempowered priest because of the penalties.
129132, Hello Kitty - here I come!
nt
129134, To be fair
Posted by KaguMaru on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
He wasn't doing it to gain an advantage over other players or he'd have kept it to PM's/AIM like everyone else has done for the last ten years. By posting it on a public forum he was giving the advantage (there was no advantage) to everyone
129107, RE: (DELETED) [TRIBUNAL] Umiron the Sorcerer-Lord of Order
Posted by Verathi on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I am glad for you, to be able to relax and not have the stress of it. I am incredibly saddened for the mud though. You will be missed.

As far as everyone saying they agreed with you, well I didn't always agree with you but I got smart enough eventually to realize when I didn't I was more than likely the wrong one.
129108, Well, I agreed with your "concept" of what CF should be.
Posted by TMNS on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
And I enjoyed you setting things straight with people a couple times.

I will echo what someone said though. As refreshing as your posting was, I do felt you got sucked into the toxic forum drama that we all swim in. Hopefully a couple months away from CF will allow you to be refreshed and come back with a character or twelve :)
129112, Sad Panda Face
Posted by Ysaloerye on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Sorry, truly sorry to see this.
I wish all the griefers and trolls had an inkling of how much you contributed to their funstick over the years.
I guess its in the nature of some to want someone to blame for perceived injustices, I've been around long enough to see several Imms be the focus of their inane and vocal expressions.

I get it when you say, when it's not fun any more, time to move on and I'd be lying if I didn't admit I've been close a few times over the last couple of years.

This is a major loss for the game, but I wish you the best.
129115, Sad to see you leaving.
Posted by KoeKhaos on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I may have disagreed with a few of your views and decisions, but overall I think you did an excellent job as an Imm and coder. CF will definitely miss you, even those bitching.
129116, Thanks for all your hard work.
Posted by Drehir on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You put in a lot of effort into being an admin of the game and making multiple game changes.
At the end of the day, you have to do what is best for you.
I hope you come back if you find that spark again.
Then again, I hope I do too.

-D
129117, You will be missed.
Posted by Akresius on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I thought you did a great job.
129122, RE: (DELETED) [TRIBUNAL] Umiron the Sorcerer-Lord of Order
Posted by incognito on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
>I have often told others that when it's not fun anymore it's
>time to quit, and with that being the case for me during the
>majority of this past year it is probably time I practice what
>I preach.
>
>A big thanks to Scarabaeus, Valguarnera and Daevryn for all
>the mentoring and advice along the way.
>
>I can be reached at umiron@hush.com as long as I remember to
>check it once a week.
>
>Until next time, folks.
>

Thanks for all you did. Just because I think giving more edges to the have nots is preferable to reducing edges for the haves doesn't mean I don't appreciate all the other stuff.

To be honest there is no perfect solution to edges. I just think customisation is a good thing to keep where it exists.
129125, Good luck!
Posted by NoobAgain on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
It must be a thankless job. You volunteer all of your time on a non-profit project and what you get from the community is often vitriol. For what it's worth, a lot of people (myself included) really appreciated what you did, even when sometimes we did not agree with the direction that the changes were heading.

I'll leave one substantive comment on the game. A huge amount of good/great content was created through the edges - I think most people like the idea of having them, though there is clearly disagreement on what's a good system to award them. I encourage the staff/next head coder to *quickly* (though not hastily) implement a system that would allow players to take advantage of this great edge-based customization. (Right now, with the removal of the obs/explo exp, there are very limited ways of getting them.) Speaking from personal experience only, I've been discouraged to play / roll character that rely heavily on edges (e.g. Whispers warrior that really benefits from the Four Bird Edges, etc.).

I fundamentally believe that opening up edges will increase the playerbase.

129139, Too bad you left after a bold decision
Posted by vorian on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Well done with the edge system modification: I'm sure it will help improving playerbase in futur.

It's sad to see you leave after such a bold move!

129141, Don't conflate 2 issues
Posted by incognito on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
How many edges a char is able to get and how those edge points are accrued are separate issues. For example, i would argue that even if you think obs and explore exp don't work as sources of edge points, you could just give all chars more edge points when you remove this source of them.