Subject: "(AGE DEATH) [OUTLANDER] Oaneewke the Lady of Nature, Pa..." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #114473
Show all folders

Death_AngelFri 26-Apr-13 10:44 PM
Member since 26th Sep 2024
17185 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#114473, "(AGE DEATH) [OUTLANDER] Oaneewke the Lady of Nature, Passionate Observer of Portents"

Fri Apr 26 20:40:30 2013

At 8 o'clock PM, Day of Freedom, 11th of the Month of the Shadows
on the Theran calendar Oaneewke perished, never to return.

Race:human
Class:druid
Level:41
Alignment:Neutral
Ethos:Chaotic
Cabal:OUTLANDER, the Outlanders of Thar-Eris
Hours:513

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Ding Dong., Oaneewke (Anonymous), 01-May-13 12:35 PM, #17
Reply I guess I can accept that, Splntrd, 01-May-13 02:22 PM, #21
Reply RE: Ding Dong., Bell (NOT Oryntohr), 01-May-13 05:42 PM, #22
Reply Oryn, Oaneewke (Anonymous), 02-May-13 01:42 PM, #26
     Reply RE: Oryn, Illanthos, 02-May-13 04:05 PM, #29
          Reply Logs, Oaneewke (Anonymous), 02-May-13 07:11 PM, #30
Reply I totally agree about one point, incognito, 02-May-13 04:13 AM, #24
Reply Some people do, Splntrd, 02-May-13 07:56 AM, #25
Reply Very well done!, Whiysdan, 02-May-13 02:21 PM, #27
Reply The best RPed mortal char I have encountered, Leyras (Anonymous), 30-Apr-13 01:34 PM, #16
Reply Drama!, Oaneewke (Anonymous), 01-May-13 12:40 PM, #18
Reply One of my favorites to have played around. You will be..., Ekaerok (Anonymous), 29-Apr-13 02:02 PM, #15
Reply Solid, Oaneewke (Anonymous), 01-May-13 12:42 PM, #19
Reply I don't think future Oaneewke's should be encouraged., Splntrd, 28-Apr-13 10:30 PM, #9
Reply Evidently distention wasn't doing it's job. nt, Scrimbul, 29-Apr-13 05:38 AM, #11
Reply Distention is really only a problem if you have enemies..., Quixotic, 29-Apr-13 08:26 AM, #12
     Reply Pretty much this, Splntrd, 29-Apr-13 08:29 AM, #13
     Reply This is logically flawed, highbutterfly, 03-May-13 12:23 PM, #32
          Reply Let me clarify, Quixotic, 05-May-13 12:58 PM, #34
Reply Don't be a scrub., highbutterfly, 03-May-13 12:24 PM, #31
     Reply RE: Don't be a scrub., Splntrd, 05-May-13 10:06 AM, #33
Reply Another one of my favorites., J Foote (Anonymous), 28-Apr-13 07:49 PM, #8
Reply The Wild howl the name Jawn Foote!, Oaneewke (Anonymous), 01-May-13 12:44 PM, #20
Reply How did this happen?, Aereglen (NOT Curious), 28-Apr-13 12:30 PM, #6
Reply On the contrary, incognito, 28-Apr-13 12:52 PM, #7
Reply Your confusion, Splntrd, 28-Apr-13 10:35 PM, #10
     Reply this is my confusion, Aereglen, 29-Apr-13 10:27 AM, #14
Reply You were great., Nyst (Anonymous), 27-Apr-13 09:50 AM, #5
Reply Grouchy Cat, Oaneewke (Anonymous), 02-May-13 02:29 PM, #28
Reply Argh I still owed you, Madoc (Anonymous), 27-Apr-13 04:43 AM, #4
Reply Udgaard, Oaneewke (Anonymous), 01-May-13 09:54 PM, #23
Reply I had tons of fun playing with you as Gembu., Amberion, 27-Apr-13 03:09 AM, #3
Reply Whoa., Beer, 27-Apr-13 12:42 AM, #2
Reply RE: (AGE DEATH) [OUTLANDER] Oaneewke the Lady of Nature..., Spiorra (Anonymous), 26-Apr-13 11:48 PM, #1

Oaneewke (Anonymous)Wed 01-May-13 12:35 PM
Charter member
#114529, "Ding Dong."
In response to Reply #0

Can't say enough good things about some of the people I interacted with over the life span of this char. Its refreshing to see other people who completely embrace their roles and offsets all the other 'crap' that goes on.
I rolled Oa-nee-wke (that's how her name was pronounced) with a solid backstory in mind, and interactions with quite a few people, including Whiysdan, spurred me on and helped me throw myself wholeheartedly into the poor broken-minded soul.

I came close to deleting in the 30s after a series of absolutely crappy mob deaths (solo ranking can be the pits), but then made the decision that I would forego any more 'ranking' and just play. It was the best decision I made and totally saved the char. I found that by just doing fun things like exploring, counter-raiding, gathering preps, fighting and the odd quest I was able to slowly gain ranks without risking those ####ty 100xp tnl deaths.

Part of what I wanted to achieve with Oan was to get a solid handle on lower and mid-rank pk. I am usually one to power up to hero and then get bored with the same humdrum pk match ups. Suddenly I found that there were always new people to contest with, except some others around who seemed to have the same levelling plan as me, which was also good for having longstanding arch-enemies.

There are some who have griped, I don't get your issues, its not like I was murder druid who indescriminately killed everyone I came across. Trust me my PK stats would have been way higher if I had. There were numerous times I passed someone by sleeping in the woods, or ignored the cb call of 'so and so is here in XYZ' just because I had recently gotten a kill on them, or they were not an enemy in Oan's eyes. Trust me also when I say if I had 200 more hours on this char I would have played them and would have continued to rank up, distension or no. Its funny to me how people in the absense of the truth apply their own sensibilities to a situation, because those are the reasons YOU would do X obviously it must mean everyone would do the same. I play this game for enjoyment like everyone else, but my enjoyment is not in being an ass to people, it's to enhance the game and experience for them, which I hope I did for anyone to took the time to interact. Yeah it probably sucked to have me show up and wade into your ranking party constantly, but if you had taken the time or initiative you might have gotten something out of it. Some people did, other people threw some petulant comment my way and logged off. Their loss.

Anyway:
Whiysdan, thanks for the religion bit, it really added something to this char. Your quest just fit so beautifully with her role I had tons of fun thinking through it. Also for the flying bartender visits, so many of them were well timed when I was out of booze and beginning to loose control. The RC stuff was also spot on and really amped up the role.

Others if you post/posted something I'll respond. I had some great 'friends' (Oan was too paranoid and unbalanced to have true friends) and great enemies.

SplntrdWed 01-May-13 02:22 PM
Member since 08th Feb 2004
1096 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#114533, "I guess I can accept that"
In response to Reply #17

Your side of the story seems legit, and your friends loved you.

I love midranges and I'm glad you made conscious effort to play them.

As an enemy who died from you a couple of times and spent a number of logins fighting/running away from/avoiding you - I never got even a hint that you were roleplaying more than what you needed to maintain cabal membership/empowerment. I think I even hung around next to my corpse for awhile after a particularly stupid death on my part, waiting for you to initiate some interaction that I could latch on to to convince me you weren't a tool - and I got nothing. Maybe you thought I was raging or something and didn't want to poke the butthurt bear.

If you'd like to avoid that perception in the future - maybe make an effort to drop a tell or an emote or something. 9/10 of your enemies might not respond favorably - but then that's them not being fun, not you.

Splntrd

Bell (NOT Oryntohr)Wed 01-May-13 05:42 PM
Charter member
In response to Reply #17

Awesome char, you crazy ass. I liked that I never really knew what to expect out of you, even after I sort-of understood the concept. I don't imagine that was easy to pull off, but I totally enjoyed it.

Ignore the haters.

GLWYN

Oaneewke (Anonymous)Thu 02-May-13 01:42 PM
Charter member
#114545, "Oryn"
In response to Reply #22

Simply loved your char, our interactions were always great.
Oan had a sliding scale of madness depending on her alcohol intake. The more sober the more her visions would overwhelm here and the more erratic her behavior. Its probably the only character I have ever had my sobriety status in my prompt (having never played a bard) and many things were keyed off of it.
I remember leading someone across thera for some reason Oan started off tipsy and by the time we got near where we were headed she had sobered up and was out of alcohol, so she suddenly started screaming at the other char demanding to know why he was following her. The poor guy!

IllanthosThu 02-May-13 04:05 PM
Member since 14th Oct 2011
274 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#114548, "RE: Oryn"
In response to Reply #26

Its kind of funny. I let a character with a similar concept auto not too long ago.

Care to post any RP logs, if you have them?

Oaneewke (Anonymous)Thu 02-May-13 07:11 PM
Charter member
#114556, "Logs"
In response to Reply #29

I think I have 90% of her life logged, so I will did out some. This goes for any fights if people are interested.

incognitoThu 02-May-13 04:13 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#114540, "I totally agree about one point"
In response to Reply #17

The fact that some people assume that everyone is motivated by the same things as them, when in fact it's often not the case.

Also one of the reasons I think that people that hate a cabal should try it at least once.

SplntrdThu 02-May-13 07:55 AM
1096 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#114543, "Some people do"
In response to Reply #24
Edited on Thu 02-May-13 07:56 AM

But I don't think either of these statements are reasonable and fair assumptions to make about her criticizers.

So, hey, maybe we're all making unfair assumptions.

Splntrd

WhiysdanThu 02-May-13 02:21 PM
Member since 04th Aug 2011
243 posts
#114546, "Very well done!"
In response to Reply #17

I really enjoyed everything I saw with this character and appreciated the different take on staying at a lower rank instead of powering to hero. I have to say, I watched very carefully just to make sure this didn't turn into murder druid (because I've dealt with that in the past), but Oan certainly wasn't that indiscriminate killer. Very well done, again.

=w=

Leyras (Anonymous)Tue 30-Apr-13 01:31 PM
Charter member
#114525, "The best RPed mortal char I have encountered"
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Tue 30-Apr-13 01:34 PM

And you pretty much kicked ass and took names on all fronts, also.
Unlike many strong pkers, you were completely willing to play support roles when the Tree needed you. You were unafraid to try extremely hard match ups, like a completely prepared Vhateel. (remember that day I took the Scepter and you tried on Vhateel with about 7 level difference? I think you barely scratched him after throwing the kitchen sink at him). All around just awesome.

Leyras always thought of you as his completely crazy bad-ass little sister who was a lot wiser and shrewder than he was. You definitely enriched his life tremendously. You also changed his direction for the better in a few important conversations. Absolutely loved this character.

GLWYN!!

Oaneewke (Anonymous)Wed 01-May-13 12:40 PM
Charter member
#114530, "Drama!"
In response to Reply #16

Heh there was so many drama storylines, we had some great interactions and you caught on pretty quick as to Oan's 'state-of-mind'.

Ekaerok (Anonymous)Mon 29-Apr-13 02:02 PM
Charter member
#114516, "One of my favorites to have played around. You will be..."
In response to Reply #0

n/t

Oaneewke (Anonymous)Wed 01-May-13 12:42 PM
Charter member
#114531, "Solid"
In response to Reply #15

Boy can you bring the pain!
You are a great presence in the Tree, keep it up. Good mix of badassness and solid RP. People like you make the game still fun to play after all these years.

SplntrdSun 28-Apr-13 10:29 PM
1096 posts
#114505, "I don't think future Oaneewke's should be encouraged."
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Sun 28-Apr-13 10:30 PM

I'm not saying don't do it, but let's not pretend what this guy did was admirable/to be emulated.

I mean, unless we admire positioning ourselves perfectly to beat up the underdog, and then not deleting for 500 hours. But, I think most competent players would pwn pretty hard with an empowerment class against a weak group of enemies and a 100-400 hour advantage over nearly every character they could fight. I guess if that's what we think makes a model citizen, I don't agree.

If I had to say just one thing positive, I'd say: Good job sticking it out and playing druid really well.

If I had to summarize my negative feelings, I'd say: Good job, asshole.

>justifying my butthurt

Splntrd

ScrimbulMon 29-Apr-13 05:38 AM
Member since 22nd Apr 2003
884 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM Click to send message via ICQ
#114508, "Evidently distention wasn't doing it's job. nt"
In response to Reply #9

QuixoticMon 29-Apr-13 08:26 AM
Member since 09th Feb 2006
837 posts
#114509, "Distention is really only a problem if you have enemies..."
In response to Reply #11

Fortress and Outlander dominated the hero ranks for so long, I doubt the threat of distention was much of an issue.

SplntrdMon 29-Apr-13 08:29 AM
1096 posts
#114510, "Pretty much this"
In response to Reply #12

If Oaneewke distended, it wouldn't have mattered.

Her enemies above her were minimal, and the character might as well have been designed to keep it that way. Even facing a respectable range of hero evils, we're still talking about a druid, which has a lot of options for surviving/getting away from/avoiding/choosing fights.

Splntrd

highbutterflyFri 03-May-13 12:23 PM
Member since 24th Aug 2011
364 posts
#114581, "This is logically flawed"
In response to Reply #12

For example, if I were Zmias, I'd be much more likely as a solo evil hero to go after a distended level 40 druid than Oshui or Rydell.
Being outnumbered makes it more likely a solo evil hero will go after the distended character.

What really happened is that the character, like all CF chars, is a trade off. Distention isn't so bad for humans but their lifespan is shorter.

This reaction to the char is at best, unfair. When every human anti-pal, conjurer, and nec who spends hundreds of hours cleaning out their midbie pk range is lambasted, then maybe I'd concede there's some sort of moral highground for indicting this druid.

QuixoticSun 05-May-13 12:58 PM
Member since 09th Feb 2006
837 posts
#114610, "Let me clarify"
In response to Reply #32

If the hero range is filled with outlanders and maran and you are a level 38-42 druid, what heroes are going to hunt you should you distend?

If there are heroes who would hunt you, is it inconceivable Oanweeke might have had friends to help deal with them?

highbutterflyFri 03-May-13 12:14 PM
Member since 24th Aug 2011
364 posts
#114580, "Don't be a scrub."
In response to Reply #9
Edited on Fri 03-May-13 12:24 PM

http://www.sirlin.net/articles/playing-to-win-part-1.html

This is just thinly veiled rage at being killed twice by the same char?

Frankly, this was a well done character, and it sounds like you're trying to "get back" at them on the death thread because you couldn't in the game. Moreover, and seriously, the game doesn't start at hero.

If you think distention should be harsher, bring it up on gameplay.

SplntrdSun 05-May-13 10:06 AM
1096 posts
#114609, "RE: Don't be a scrub."
In response to Reply #31

I acknowledged this character was well done.

I agreed distention didn't affect this character (except to make its mission easier by not doing much) - I didn't recommend any changes.

I said I was glad the player took the time to play the midranges.

I also acknowledged (with some humor!) that I was butthurt, so it's not exacly thinly veiled rage either.

Battlefield threads are for thoughts/criticisms/reflections.

I don't know why you posted. I don't know why you posted without reading. But I'm rolling my eyes a lot.

Splntrd

J Foote (Anonymous)Sun 28-Apr-13 07:49 PM
Charter member
#114504, "Another one of my favorites."
In response to Reply #0

Loved your RP. Loved your esays. Loved pretty much everything about you.

I always wondered why you didn't level up, but I figured you had your reasons and I respected the hell out of you, so I never even asked.

You will be sorely missed.

Oaneewke (Anonymous)Wed 01-May-13 12:44 PM
Charter member
#114532, "The Wild howl the name Jawn Foote!"
In response to Reply #8

Love it, long time presence in the tree makes for great interactions. You have outlived two of my chars now! It will be a sad day when you are gone, I hope you make the totem!

Aereglen (NOT Curious)Sun 28-Apr-13 12:28 PM
Charter member
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Sun 28-Apr-13 12:30 PM

Human or not, you should have had more time than that before you age died. Were you wearing certain equipment to speed it up? What's the deal. This sort of makes me not want to ever play a cabaled human again.

incognitoSun 28-Apr-13 12:52 PM
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#114499, "On the contrary"
In response to Reply #6

A human lives 511 hours on average.

SplntrdSun 28-Apr-13 10:35 PM
1096 posts
#114506, "Your confusion"
In response to Reply #6

Stems from the fact that most high-profile age deaths are leaders, who get leader-aging (leadercon!), so they last longer. Oaneewke had standardaging on a short-lived race.

Splntrd

AereglenMon 29-Apr-13 10:27 AM
Member since 23rd Apr 2011
476 posts
#114512, "this is my confusion"
In response to Reply #10

I'm well aware of leader-con and leader-aging. I was under the impression cabaled characters age slightly slower as well, nothing near leader-aging, but I thought they still got some extension to their aging. I see now it was a myth, and to be honest I always had a feeling I was wrong about it. Now I know for sure, and knowing if half the battle.

Nyst (Anonymous)Sat 27-Apr-13 09:50 AM
Charter member
#114484, "You were great."
In response to Reply #0

Very competent ally with an instinct for the Hunt, perfectly roleplayed.

Your death took me by surprise, at the beginning I didn't quite understand
what was going on, because in my mind you were still young! thus my
confusing cb tells.

Hope you play another outlander.

Oaneewke (Anonymous)Thu 02-May-13 02:29 PM
Charter member
#114547, "Grouchy Cat"
In response to Reply #5

Your growling presence around in the woods always had an ominous feel to it. Just the ring of venom for nightreaver, I hope you stay around for times to come.

To be honest I was half way through Barovia heading to get the fetish back before I realized something was up. I scrolled back and was "DOH! Well well I seem to be rather dead!" Glad someone was around at least to say good-bye to!

I will probably roll another Outlander at some point, this experience will be hard to top as we really had some top notch RP people during Oan's lifespan.

Madoc (Anonymous)Sat 27-Apr-13 04:43 AM
Charter member
#114481, "Argh I still owed you"
In response to Reply #0

I would dearly have loved to have killed you, especially after basically having done so that time in Udgaard before Pegnir came in and took the final hit. My OOC rage from getting looted after that AFK death has subsided somewhat, you were definitely a worthy foe. I was terrified of druids for a while after you one-rounded me in Balator but then I realised it was you that was bringing the pain, not the class.

Oaneewke (Anonymous)Wed 01-May-13 09:53 PM
Charter member
#114539, "Udgaard"
In response to Reply #4
Edited on Wed 01-May-13 09:54 PM

Man it was a close one, I had called Windwalk while scouting in birdform and didn't take time to check that I was flying (you lose the fly part of windwalk when called in birdform) so you had me rocked when you were able to trip. Add to that my herbsets had all expired and the fight was yours, then in walks Pegnir. It was kinda a double edged sword, him being there and calling the fiend killed me and took your chance for charges, but if he hadn't my flee and bolt south would have let me get the forest haven in and I would have gotten out. Never the less it was a good scrap. You got more and more of a handful as you started to understand your skillset, but were never afraid to try it on.

That last kill in Imperial lands, I know you were upset, but really had no idea you were AFK, there were two of us raiding for the fetish against 4 or 5 (wasn't sure which other shadows were there) all I saw was you pull into the guild, were you sleeping up, wanding up I had know idea, I just knew I couldn't leave you to come charging in us at the vanquisher. I am pretty sure the giant laid into you with a bash pretty early (I'll check the log) and the fight wasn't long enough to figure out you were not there. I took your wands because Obaki had run out of preps, I took my wooden black hammer and your unholy which was empty of charges. Sorry you thought I did you wrong It was nothing horrendous, I don't think I ever looted more than one or two things, except poor Pegnir who was the first one I caught after they had ganked me down and stripped me, and I think even then I didn't take much. I think I pretty much had the same set of gear from like 28 till death, bar a few things. 90% of it was Noteworthy at best, with maybe the odd famous or legendary piece..

I know you've had it a bit raw, but having gone through the pain of an Imperial AP I'll say stick with it. Con dieing an AP is the best way to really learn the class, I learned tons despite being a whipping boy.

AmberionSat 27-Apr-13 03:09 AM
Member since 06th Jun 2007
945 posts
#114479, "I had tons of fun playing with you as Gembu."
In response to Reply #0

Glad to see that you lasted. Great char! Great RP! When I see people like this still in the game, it makes me miss CF a bit. 3.5 months without CF! WOAW!

Always shoot first and then call whatever you hit the target.

BeerSat 27-Apr-13 12:42 AM
322 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#114478, "Whoa."
In response to Reply #0

Didn't know you were there for so long! One of the few I liked in this cabal. You seemed like you had an interesting RP! A druid of 92 years old who killed me? Oh for shame!

GLWYN!

Spiorra (Anonymous)Fri 26-Apr-13 11:48 PM
Charter member
#114475, "RE: (AGE DEATH) [OUTLANDER] Oaneewke the Lady of Nature..."
In response to Reply #0

Bah, you were around forever. Why not hero?

Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #114473 Previous topic | Next topic