Subject: "(DELETED) [FORTRESS] Caladrien the Champion of the Virt..." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #108896
Show all folders

Death_AngelWed 16-May-12 05:56 PM
Member since 29th Sep 2024
17191 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#108896, "(DELETED) [FORTRESS] Caladrien the Champion of the Virtues"

Wed May 16 15:53:39 2012

At 10 o'clock PM, Day of the Great Gods, 26th of the Month of the Heat
on the Theran calendar Caladrien perished, never to return.

Race:elf
Class:paladin
Level:51
Alignment:Good
Ethos:Orderly
Cabal:FORTRESS, the Fortress of Light
Hours:189

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

HumbertSun 20-May-12 07:29 AM
Member since 13th Jun 2009
179 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#108950, "Sorry Whiysdan for the delete"
In response to Reply #0

I had to quit because term's started, and between Uni and sport I didn't have much time for CF. I could've squeezed in a few hours a week to get by, but I didn't want to do that because I have a summer internship coming up which will require me to work in excess of 100 hours a week, which would pretty much destroy not only my hopes of CFing, but also my hopes of getting sufficient sleep and any exercise at all.

Made another 2h Paladin because I couldn't believe that I could not make it work in PK - unfortunately, I didn't quite succeed.

I had Faith/Fortitude as a 2h paladin. The combo was decent all throughout, with one really glaring weakness, which was bash (also bearcharge from giants). Pretty much anyone who could dual wield axe/flail/whip and bash would destroy me (orcs). Fortunately, many warriors who could have easily bashed me to death did not know they could, so I ended up with far fewer deaths than I should have. But yeah, tip for fighting (non-temperance) elf 2h paladins - just bash them to death. You might even manage it as a human, dwarf, etc. Fortitude is amazing, and is a lot more fun than Temperance (IMO Temperance is overpowered).

Role - The character was a mathematician, and most of the people Caladrien interacted with for any length of time would have heard something indicating it. I took 'Combat Statistician' for the role too, even though I ain't good at using it.

Whiysdan - you are an incredible IMM, and I had great fun with the religion and the random interactions you would suddenly throw my way when I was just exploring someplace or other. Thank you for everything, and I would definitely roll another follower, and recommend Whiysdan to anyone thinking of rolling up a religious character.

I had a very quirky role idea I really wanted to try out, but it turns out that communicating mathematical ideas in text is quite difficult, and I was trying to figure out what kind of math would a medieval world have covered, and what kind they would have not. I had wanted to write an entry for the Lyceum on the current development of maths in Thera, but I didn't get round to finishing it - and I'm not a mathematician by training, so it's even more difficult.

Suffice to say I didn't consider 'modern' things like Fourier transforms, non-Euclidean geometries, etc. suitable for Thera, but I did allow basic statistics, (Euclidean) geometry, probability, etc. Turned out that the role was a lot harder to play out than it had first seemed, because there was literally no cause for talking about maths randomly most of the time.

In the end I guess I'm more sympathetic to Twist's method of RP, which is more PK-heavy with good sportsmanship and enough RP to get through. I didn't play out my role with that kind of emotional intensity and conviction some people can manage - guess I have to write my future roles with that in mind.

Generic Fortress:

Bulquin - Try not to express such a desire for gear, even if you do like gear. Paladins are a naturally gear-inclined class simply because they don't seal kills well but they hardly ever die either, but Paladin-RP doesn't really allow for gear-loving.

Vallinane - Sorry for that screwup with wrathing someone you garrotted. I was really annoyed that I'd done that, I would think someone who played CF for more than 10 years would have known better...

Vozmuir - Really deadly, I didn't talk to you much but I liked having you beside me.

Illanthos - Superb healing from you. I think your times sort of fell off after a while, which was a pity. I liked you a lot.

Clahier - Liked having you around, just like Vozmuir. Deadly and capable.

Others:

Liralindalum - First time I met you was you gating to me and Samaiya, and looting Tirrarraeor, and leaving, and repeating the same again after I yelled for you not to. I dispelled you just to run you off, but I had no intention of killing you (and would've fled rather than have a neutral, same-religion healer on my PK list). You won't agree, but I'll say again that sportsmanship is more important than your ego or your 'RP', especially with a declining playerbase. Maybe Tirra 'deserved' it, but there's no need to be vindictive.

Kheorr - You have no idea how satisfying the kill on you (Clahier/Me vs You/Sevastyan/someone) was. You were cautious in a way that I wish I were, and I knew I had zero chance outside of a Defiance prog or Belt prog after a dispel of sanc/prot on you to kill you. Again, Paladin's kill-sealing sucks too much for my play-style. Oh, and pincer staff > Defiance except for nodisarm...

Xazzax - The kill on you was really satisfying too. Double vuln mithril and phoenix brand wrath and Fordurn. You were definitely very skilled, I'm pretty sure I know the player behind the character.

Krunk - Hated fighting you. Every single time I'm in the same room as an orc, I run a very significant risk of dying with 0 commands entered. It's worse when the orc is a Shig-Ru.

RayihnSun 20-May-12 10:15 AM
Member since 08th Oct 2006
1147 posts
#108951, "RE: Sorry Whiysdan for the delete"
In response to Reply #2

Loved this character. Really wanted you for leader actually and then your times dropped, so that was a shame.

You were competent, the RP schtick was interesting, all good stuff.

You *should* have been Baer pal tho.

HumbertSun 20-May-12 02:08 PM
Member since 13th Jun 2009
179 posts
#108953, "On my list of things to do!"
In response to Reply #3

Playing a good Baer follower. Everyone about on the forums has said very good things about Baer but I've never had a Baer follower before!

WhiysdanFri 18-May-12 06:58 PM
Member since 04th Aug 2011
243 posts
#108933, "Boo!"
In response to Reply #0

Man! This seemed like such a fun character at the beginning, but then your time kind of fell off. Really liked the role and your take on the religion.

=w=

Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #108896 Previous topic | Next topic