Go back to previous topic
Forum Name The Battlefield
Topic subject(DELETED) [FORTRESS] Caladrien the Champion of the Virtues
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=108896
108896, (DELETED) [FORTRESS] Caladrien the Champion of the Virtues
Posted by Death_Angel on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Wed May 16 15:53:39 2012

At 10 o'clock PM, Day of the Great Gods, 26th of the Month of the Heat
on the Theran calendar Caladrien perished, never to return.
Race:elf
Class:paladin
Level:51
Alignment:Good
Ethos:Orderly
Cabal:FORTRESS, the Fortress of Light
Hours:189
108950, Sorry Whiysdan for the delete
Posted by Humbert on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I had to quit because term's started, and between Uni and sport I didn't have much time for CF. I could've squeezed in a few hours a week to get by, but I didn't want to do that because I have a summer internship coming up which will require me to work in excess of 100 hours a week, which would pretty much destroy not only my hopes of CFing, but also my hopes of getting sufficient sleep and any exercise at all. :P

Made another 2h Paladin because I couldn't believe that I could not make it work in PK - unfortunately, I didn't quite succeed.

I had Faith/Fortitude as a 2h paladin. The combo was decent all throughout, with one really glaring weakness, which was bash (also bearcharge from giants). Pretty much anyone who could dual wield axe/flail/whip and bash would destroy me (orcs). Fortunately, many warriors who could have easily bashed me to death did not know they could, so I ended up with far fewer deaths than I should have. But yeah, tip for fighting (non-temperance) elf 2h paladins - just bash them to death. You might even manage it as a human, dwarf, etc. Fortitude is amazing, and is a lot more fun than Temperance (IMO Temperance is overpowered).

Role - The character was a mathematician, and most of the people Caladrien interacted with for any length of time would have heard something indicating it. I took 'Combat Statistician' for the role too, even though I ain't good at using it.

Whiysdan - you are an incredible IMM, and I had great fun with the religion and the random interactions you would suddenly throw my way when I was just exploring someplace or other. Thank you for everything, and I would definitely roll another follower, and recommend Whiysdan to anyone thinking of rolling up a religious character.

I had a very quirky role idea I really wanted to try out, but it turns out that communicating mathematical ideas in text is quite difficult, and I was trying to figure out what kind of math would a medieval world have covered, and what kind they would have not. I had wanted to write an entry for the Lyceum on the current development of maths in Thera, but I didn't get round to finishing it - and I'm not a mathematician by training, so it's even more difficult.

Suffice to say I didn't consider 'modern' things like Fourier transforms, non-Euclidean geometries, etc. suitable for Thera, but I did allow basic statistics, (Euclidean) geometry, probability, etc. Turned out that the role was a lot harder to play out than it had first seemed, because there was literally no cause for talking about maths randomly most of the time.

In the end I guess I'm more sympathetic to Twist's method of RP, which is more PK-heavy with good sportsmanship and enough RP to get through. I didn't play out my role with that kind of emotional intensity and conviction some people can manage - guess I have to write my future roles with that in mind.

Generic Fortress:

Bulquin - Try not to express such a desire for gear, even if you do like gear. Paladins are a naturally gear-inclined class simply because they don't seal kills well but they hardly ever die either, but Paladin-RP doesn't really allow for gear-loving.

Vallinane - Sorry for that screwup with wrathing someone you garrotted. I was really annoyed that I'd done that, I would think someone who played CF for more than 10 years would have known better...

Vozmuir - Really deadly, I didn't talk to you much but I liked having you beside me.

Illanthos - Superb healing from you. I think your times sort of fell off after a while, which was a pity. I liked you a lot.

Clahier - Liked having you around, just like Vozmuir. Deadly and capable.

Others:

Liralindalum - First time I met you was you gating to me and Samaiya, and looting Tirrarraeor, and leaving, and repeating the same again after I yelled for you not to. I dispelled you just to run you off, but I had no intention of killing you (and would've fled rather than have a neutral, same-religion healer on my PK list). You won't agree, but I'll say again that sportsmanship is more important than your ego or your 'RP', especially with a declining playerbase. Maybe Tirra 'deserved' it, but there's no need to be vindictive.

Kheorr - You have no idea how satisfying the kill on you (Clahier/Me vs You/Sevastyan/someone) was. You were cautious in a way that I wish I were, and I knew I had zero chance outside of a Defiance prog or Belt prog after a dispel of sanc/prot on you to kill you. Again, Paladin's kill-sealing sucks too much for my play-style. Oh, and pincer staff > Defiance except for nodisarm...

Xazzax - The kill on you was really satisfying too. Double vuln mithril and phoenix brand wrath and Fordurn. You were definitely very skilled, I'm pretty sure I know the player behind the character.

Krunk - Hated fighting you. Every single time I'm in the same room as an orc, I run a very significant risk of dying with 0 commands entered. It's worse when the orc is a Shig-Ru.
108951, RE: Sorry Whiysdan for the delete
Posted by Rayihn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Loved this character. Really wanted you for leader actually and then your times dropped, so that was a shame.

You were competent, the RP schtick was interesting, all good stuff.

You *should* have been Baer pal tho.
108953, On my list of things to do!
Posted by Humbert on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Playing a good Baer follower. Everyone about on the forums has said very good things about Baer but I've never had a Baer follower before!
108933, Boo!
Posted by Whiysdan on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Man! This seemed like such a fun character at the beginning, but then your time kind of fell off. Really liked the role and your take on the religion.

=w=