Subject: "Server Move 18 JUN, 9pm PST" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Announcements Topic #2808
Show all folders

ScarabaeusMon 17-Jun-13 07:13 PM
Member since 19th Feb 2011
1524 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2808, "Server Move 18 JUN, 9pm PST"

On Tuesday, June 18th, we will shut down the current server at 9pm PST and move over the necessary data to the new machine before booting up on the new server. We will try to minimize the downtime, but will post updates here to let everyone if there are any issues.

Cross your fingers!

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: Server Move 18 JUN, 9pm PST, Cerunnir, 09-Aug-13 07:47 PM, #20
Reply ETC on fixing poison thieves? nt, Poizoner (Anonymous), 21-Jun-13 09:21 AM, #10
Reply the issue, Scarabaeus, 21-Jun-13 09:26 AM, #11
     Reply LET'S JUST DO THIS SACER, Poizoner (Anonymous), 21-Jun-13 10:23 AM, #12
     Reply 32bit process on 64bit kernel is possible on Linux, OSX..., -flso, 21-Jun-13 01:28 PM, #13
     Reply possible, but not currently cooperative nt, Scarabaeus, 21-Jun-13 01:39 PM, #14
     Reply RE: 32bit process on 64bit kernel is possible on Linux,..., Vilhazarog, 23-Jun-13 08:37 PM, #15
          Reply Big thanks for your blood sweat and tears here., vargal, 24-Jun-13 06:43 AM, #17
          Reply This issue should be fixed now, Vilhazarog, 25-Jun-13 01:36 PM, #18
               Reply RE: This issue should be fixed now, Eskelian, 27-Jun-13 12:35 AM, #19
          Reply Please don't ever apologize for coding for free., TMNS, 16-Aug-13 11:26 AM, #21
               Reply RE: Please don't ever apologize for coding for free., Daevryn, 16-Aug-13 04:09 PM, #22
                    Reply That's only second best. Tops is when your 'right' mirr..., Leaf, 09-Sep-13 06:12 AM, #23
     Reply RE: the issue, Isildur, 23-Jun-13 08:37 PM, #16
Reply 1.5 HR update, Scarabaeus, 19-Jun-13 12:30 AM, #2
Reply Could you edit the post above with the new settings? , Zephon, 19-Jun-13 12:19 PM, #4
Reply sure thing, Scarabaeus, 19-Jun-13 12:21 PM, #5
     Reply Just as random question, Torak, 19-Jun-13 09:30 PM, #6
          Reply that is odd, Scarabaeus, 19-Jun-13 09:33 PM, #9
Reply Sent you an email. My password no longer works. NT , Ruosti (Anonymous), 19-Jun-13 09:30 PM, #7
     Reply replied, Scarabaeus, 19-Jun-13 09:31 PM, #8
Reply 1 HR update, Scarabaeus, 19-Jun-13 12:00 AM, #1
     Reply RE: 1 HR update, Isildur, 19-Jun-13 12:19 PM, #3

CerunnirThu 18-Jul-13 10:32 AM
Member since 21st Oct 2003
294 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#2835, "RE: Server Move 18 JUN, 9pm PST"
In response to Reply #0

Thanks for this server move. It lowered my ping response time (130 now, vs 200 on old) considerably, and now I can actually consider returning to the game. I find that playing this game become annoying at around 160 ms, since then im constantly one round behind the people playing from the US. With 150 or lower I can input a command and have it go through the next time the combat "ticks". With higher than 160 I have to input commands one round before to make them go through when I want.

Poizoner (Anonymous)Fri 21-Jun-13 09:15 AM
Charter member
#2820, "ETC on fixing poison thieves? nt"
In response to Reply #0

nt

ScarabaeusFri 21-Jun-13 09:26 AM
1524 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2821, "the issue"
In response to Reply #10

With the server move we went from a 32-bit system to 64-bit. This means that some data types have changed size (esp. pointers); unfortunately, that has impacted multi-stage skills that involve a target (the target goes away, mid-way through operation). It doesn't crash us, but it does mean the skill will fail. There aren't a lot of skills impacted, but poisoner thieves are hit the hardest.

A single fix will most likely fix all the impacted skills, but it's also not a trivial "let's just do this" fix. It's being looked at, but we don't have an answer quite yet.

Poizoner (Anonymous)Fri 21-Jun-13 10:08 AM
Charter member
#2822, "LET'S JUST DO THIS SACER"
In response to Reply #11

BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE

thanks bud. imma hug you big time

-flsoFri 21-Jun-13 12:39 PM
Member since 02nd Oct 2007
296 posts
#2825, "32bit process on 64bit kernel is possible on Linux, OSX..."
In response to Reply #11

You simply need to have the 32bit dependent libraries (libc plus whatever else you need) and you can continue running CF as a 32bit
compiled binary while you're transitioning to 64bit.

ScarabaeusFri 21-Jun-13 01:39 PM
1524 posts
#2826, "possible, but not currently cooperative nt"
In response to Reply #13

ΑΛΛΑ ΜΕΝ ΒΟΥΛΑΙ ΑΝΘΡΩΠΩΝ ΑΛΛΑ ΔΕ ΘΕΟC ΚΕΛΕΥΕΙ

VilhazarogSat 22-Jun-13 11:11 PM
Member since 30th Aug 2012
192 posts
#2828, "RE: 32bit process on 64bit kernel is possible on Linux,..."
In response to Reply #13

So, first off, I want to apologize for not getting this fixed faster.

I've had a number of personal stuff going on as of late so I haven't had a lot of time to get to this.

The real issue is that there is a complicated memory allocation algorithm, that appears to be buggy. The bugginess was causing issues on the old server as well. Moving to a 64 bit system made it worse, since pointers and integers are no longer the same size.

I tried to compile in 32 bit just to get back to possibly the old buggy state, but the mysql libraries are not cooperating. I jumped through a bunch of hoops to get the 32 bit libraries and install them without screwing up our 64 bit mysql, but it's still picking up the 64 bit ones for some reason, even when I explicitly set the path, and I spent a lot of time messing around with that until I decided it would be better to just fix the stupid memory issues.

So that's where we are at, for the momement.

vargalSun 23-Jun-13 11:11 PM
Member since 07th Apr 2004
384 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2830, "Big thanks for your blood sweat and tears here."
In response to Reply #15

Are you getting a cut of PBF donations for beer?

VilhazarogTue 25-Jun-13 01:00 PM
Member since 30th Aug 2012
192 posts
#2832, "This issue should be fixed now"
In response to Reply #17

Found an int that needed to be a long.

EskelianWed 26-Jun-13 10:18 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
2023 posts
#2834, "RE: This issue should be fixed now"
In response to Reply #18

Wow, I suddenly lost all my C nostalgia from one sentence.

TMNSFri 16-Aug-13 09:10 AM
Member since 10th Jun 2009
2670 posts
#2838, "Please don't ever apologize for coding for free."
In response to Reply #15

As someone who came from a game where the head coder asked players to "donate" 500 dollars to him so he "could have more time to code", I appreciate the #### out people like you, Zulg, Sacer, and even poor ole Nepenthe (when he isn't wrong about cranial).

DaevrynFri 16-Aug-13 04:09 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
#2840, "RE: Please don't ever apologize for coding for free."
In response to Reply #21

Hey! I was technically right, which as you know is the best kind of right.

LeafSat 17-Aug-13 10:46 AM
186 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#2841, "That's only second best. Tops is when your 'right' mirr..."
In response to Reply #22

Ignorance is bliss, and I know too many happy people.

IsildurSun 23-Jun-13 08:24 AM
5969 posts
#2829, "RE: the issue"
In response to Reply #11

Well, on the bright side, you get to fix a bunch of poorly-written code that assumes 32bit. It'll be that much easier 20 years from now when you have to move to a 128bit server.

ScarabaeusWed 19-Jun-13 12:30 AM
1524 posts
#2810, "1.5 HR update"
In response to Reply #0

We should be open for business on the new server. Until we can update the DNS entry, you will have to use the IP address:

208.117.43.240 4449

ZephonWed 19-Jun-13 12:17 PM
Member since 21st Mar 2007
488 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2812, "Could you edit the post above with the new settings? "
In response to Reply #2

The one posted by Yanoreth that is pinned to the top. Whenever I have to manually go in and type the IP address it is nice that is always there in the same place.

ScarabaeusWed 19-Jun-13 12:21 PM
1524 posts
#2813, "sure thing"
In response to Reply #4

Thanks for catching that.

TorakWed 19-Jun-13 04:36 PM
Member since 15th Feb 2007
1216 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2814, "Just as random question"
In response to Reply #5

Shutdown NOW due to system reboot! Saving...
Goodbye.

Kinda odd, no warning or anything?

ScarabaeusWed 19-Jun-13 09:33 PM
1524 posts
#2817, "that is odd"
In response to Reply #6

Don't have an answer at this time. It wasn't me, however!

Ruosti (Anonymous)Wed 19-Jun-13 07:28 PM
Charter member
#2815, "Sent you an email. My password no longer works. NT "
In response to Reply #2

NT

ScarabaeusWed 19-Jun-13 09:31 PM
1524 posts
#2816, "replied"
In response to Reply #7

Your pfile was corrupted; it has been restored from backup.

ScarabaeusWed 19-Jun-13 12:00 AM
1524 posts
#2809, "1 HR update"
In response to Reply #0

Transfer going well; still moving some files over to the new machine.

IsildurWed 19-Jun-13 11:14 AM
5969 posts
#2811, "RE: 1 HR update"
In response to Reply #1

Should probably updated the anchored post on this board that has the old IP Address in its Subject.

Top General Discussions Announcements Topic #2808 Previous topic | Next topic