Subject: "Greater Undead Changes!" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Announcements Topic #2460
Show all folders

DaevrynFri 16-Sep-11 07:09 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2460, "Greater Undead Changes!"

You can see Help Greater Undead; here's more detail.

There are 20 new special greater undead; much as you could previously have only one mummy or ghoul at a time, you can still only have one greater undead at a time. Alternate greater undead each possess their own unique abilities but should overall be roughly as strong as a ghoul, even if they'll often be clearly better than a ghoul in some situations and clearly worse in others.

Each necromancer randomly gains the ability to create 4 of the 20 new greater undead. (This means that, finally, not every necromancer you make will have completely identical abilities.) Each special greater undead can be created in one or more specific graveyards. If a necromancer casts greater undead in one of these graveyards and is able to make the undead for that graveyard, they'll create this undead in place of a mummy or ghoul.

Let's illustrate with a fictitious example.

I go to Peter Rabbit's Graveyard and cast greater undead. If Bunnicula is one of the 4 greater undead I've "drawn", I'll make Bunnicula instead of a ghoul. If it's not, I'll make a ghoul as normal. If I cast greater undead at a graveyard that doesn't have a special undead associated with it, I will also always make a ghoul (or mummy).

The ability to get "extra" greater undead options is in our special reward toolkit as immortals; it probably will also be available as an edge at some point.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Greater Undead, Mad Quester (Anonymous), 22-Sep-11 07:51 PM, #13
Reply As a minimum, incognito, 23-Sep-11 08:16 AM, #14
Reply RE: Greater Undead, Daevryn, 23-Sep-11 08:15 AM, #15
Reply RE: Greater Undead Changes!, Splntrd, 18-Sep-11 08:35 PM, #8
Reply RE: Greater Undead Changes!, Daevryn, 18-Sep-11 08:38 PM, #9
     Reply ditto, Scarabaeus, 19-Sep-11 11:09 AM, #11
     Reply A little more detail:, Daevryn, 19-Sep-11 12:49 PM, #12
Reply RE: Greater Undead Changes!, Kalageadon, 18-Sep-11 08:35 PM, #7
Reply Wow!, Explosion, 17-Sep-11 11:26 AM, #3
Reply RE: Wow!, Scarabaeus, 17-Sep-11 03:06 PM, #6
     Reply Hehe ), Explosion, 19-Sep-11 12:52 PM, #10
Reply What prompted this change?, Oldril, 17-Sep-11 11:26 AM, #2
Reply RE: What prompted this change?, Daevryn, 17-Sep-11 11:31 AM, #4
     Reply Neat, thanks guys for your hard work!, Oldril, 18-Sep-11 08:35 PM, #5
Reply Peter Rabbit Died?!, Twist, 16-Sep-11 10:55 PM, #1

Mad Quester (Anonymous)Wed 21-Sep-11 03:40 PM
Charter member
#2480, "Greater Undead"
In response to Reply #0

Not sure if this is something y'all want to answer but I was just curious if in larger graveyards new undead will only be summoned in a certain room or is it just the graveyard in general.

Do they also only craft at certain ranks? Just curious if I am wasting my time trying to find every graveyard I cant.

If these are answerable questions without compromising the mystery I'd appreciate any feedback.

Thanks for the new toys fellas.

incognitoFri 23-Sep-11 07:23 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2486, "As a minimum"
In response to Reply #13

I suspect you have to be able to summon a ghoul, since they said the undead are roughly as strong as a ghoul.

So if you can currently only get mummies, I reckon you'll not have much luck.

Just an educated guess.

DaevrynFri 23-Sep-11 08:15 AM
11117 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2487, "RE: Greater Undead"
In response to Reply #13

>Not sure if this is something y'all want to answer but I was
>just curious if in larger graveyards new undead will only be
>summoned in a certain room or is it just the graveyard in
>general.

Implementation-wise, it's by room, but in practice it tends to be the whole graveyard if there's a bunch of graveyard rooms together. There could be an exception to this but I can't think of one.

>Do they also only craft at certain ranks? Just curious if I am
>wasting my time trying to find every graveyard I cant.

As soon as you can cast greater undead you're good to go.

SplntrdSat 17-Sep-11 10:59 PM
Member since 08th Feb 2004
1096 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2469, "RE: Greater Undead Changes!"
In response to Reply #0

So - just so we know before someone tries to do this - how tightly-guarded are we considering graveyard information? Is this FAQ material a la shifter forms? Or restricted material a la ABS?

Splntrd

DaevrynSun 18-Sep-11 08:38 PM
11117 posts
#2470, "RE: Greater Undead Changes!"
In response to Reply #8

What would personally make me happy is:

Kept pretty quiet for now, but then in 3 or 6 months or whenever the fun of the "experimentation period" has largely passed, more like shifter forms.

It'll show up in logs even now and that's fine, but I think a little period of "Necrodude has a Sparkle Vampire as his greater undead? Crap, I wonder what that can do to me?!" is fun for all.

ScarabaeusMon 19-Sep-11 11:09 AM
Member since 19th Feb 2011
1524 posts
#2475, "ditto"
In response to Reply #9

You took the words out of my virtual, undead mouth.

DaevrynMon 19-Sep-11 12:49 PM
11117 posts
#2477, "A little more detail:"
In response to Reply #9

Part of the reason I'm not opposed to this information being ultimately available more broadly is that, for a veteran player, I think at least a good half of it is intuitive.

e.g., if you see a necromancer tomorrow with a Dracolich greater undead (not on the real list -- and now I'm regretting that slightly) and you've been playing CF for a while, I bet you could guess one place to go get it. Maybe it's available three places and two of them aren't as obvious, but I bet you'd know one.

Not all, but I think half or more are on that level of obvious once you know what the possibilities are.

KalageadonSat 17-Sep-11 10:06 PM
Member since 23rd Oct 2003
1040 posts
#2468, "RE: Greater Undead Changes!"
In response to Reply #0

Even though I hardly ever play the class, and really don't like necros overall, it is stuff like this that you guys and gals put together that helps make this game great to play.

You all earn "A Job Well Done." from me.

ExplosionSat 17-Sep-11 02:59 AM
Member since 06th Jul 2011
381 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2463, "Wow!"
In response to Reply #0

Either I've guessed with my suggestion a month or two ago, either you really listen player's suggestion? Anyways, nice and thanks!

Btw, can they see list of their possible greater undeads somehow, like shifters can see their forms?

ScarabaeusSat 17-Sep-11 03:06 PM
Member since 19th Feb 2011
1524 posts
#2467, "RE: Wow!"
In response to Reply #3

It was rough keeping my mouth shut when you suggested a project that was already in progress.

And no--the special undead are found by exploration/testing.

ExplosionMon 19-Sep-11 06:45 AM
Member since 06th Jul 2011
381 posts
#2473, "Hehe )"
In response to Reply #6

I know the feeling, when players are suggesting something that we are already making/made. And afterwards they are boasting about how their ideas were implemented

Pity it's not the case here! But I'll keep trying, sorry if I'll guess something else again

Good work and thanks again!

OldrilSat 17-Sep-11 12:01 AM
Member since 20th Jan 2011
641 posts
#2462, "What prompted this change?"
In response to Reply #0

Bug queue was empty?

DaevrynSat 17-Sep-11 11:31 AM
11117 posts
#2465, "RE: What prompted this change?"
In response to Reply #2

Oh hell no. There's still close to 200 bugs in the queue.

This is something Valg and I talked about doing on and off for years and at some point I decided it was the next thing I wanted to work on.

Other people on staff jumped in with additional ideas; Scarabaeus in particular had a lot of things he wanted to see and Valg and my's back of the virtual napkin idea of 10 not extremely unique special undead became 20 special undead, several of which are very unique. I threw together the infrastructure and Scarabaeus and I busted it out bit by bit over the last few months.

OldrilSat 17-Sep-11 11:59 AM
Member since 20th Jan 2011
641 posts
#2466, "Neat, thanks guys for your hard work!"
In response to Reply #4

TwistFri 16-Sep-11 10:55 PM
Member since 23rd Sep 2006
3431 posts
#2461, "Peter Rabbit Died?!"
In response to Reply #0

http://dvnooooo.ytmnd.com/

Top General Discussions Announcements Topic #2460 Previous topic | Next topic