Subject: "Silent Tower Miscellanea" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Announcements Topic #1109
Show all folders

DaevrynWed 17-Jan-07 11:39 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1109, "Silent Tower Miscellanea"

Just a PSA that I've been of creative mood lately to do more than maintenance tinkering with Ye Olde Quiet Tower Of Full Looting (tm).

As of the next reboot or so, a handful of things got easier or more forgiving, a few things got meaner, and extra descriptions and some new and, in my opinion, very cool items are around for the taking. Probably, this will continue to some degree for a while.

Also, a semi-rethinking of my attitude/policy. It's a living area, and things you know and have come to rely upon will always be changing. There's no getting around that and I wouldn't want to get around that. That being said, in the future when people are being ####heads and posting puzzle solutions and the like, I'm going to try to punish those people a whole lot more and everyone else a whole lot less, the latter in the form of not changing stuff for that reason if I can help it.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: Silent Tower Miscellanea, Mort, 19-Jan-07 08:41 PM, #8
Reply RE: Silent Tower Miscellanea, Daevryn, 19-Jan-07 08:48 PM, #14
     Reply Do they have pimp gear? nt, Larcat, 21-Jan-07 01:05 PM, #15
          Reply They do, too., Daevryn, 21-Jan-07 01:06 PM, #17
Reply RE: Silent Tower Miscellanea, (NOT Graatch), 19-Jan-07 12:18 AM, #2
Reply RE: Silent Tower Miscellanea, Daevryn, 19-Jan-07 12:27 AM, #5
     Reply I'd love to try that quest, but..., GinGa, 19-Jan-07 08:41 PM, #7
     Reply RE: I'd love to try that quest, but..., Daevryn, 19-Jan-07 08:46 PM, #13
     Reply You probably got to 2. nt, Larcat, 21-Jan-07 01:05 PM, #16
     Reply RE: Silent Tower Miscellanea, (NOT Graatch), 19-Jan-07 08:41 PM, #9
     Reply What did I do this time? (n/t), Daevryn, 19-Jan-07 08:44 PM, #12
          Reply RE: What did I do this time? (n/t), (NOT Graatch), 24-Jan-07 01:42 PM, #18
     Reply just out of curiosity concerning the automated quest, laxman, 19-Jan-07 08:41 PM, #10
          Reply RE: just out of curiosity concerning the automated ques..., Daevryn, 19-Jan-07 08:43 PM, #11
Reply Should I still unconditionally phe4r the treasure room?, GinGa, 18-Jan-07 04:44 PM, #1
     Reply That is the exact spot/change, eternal_elf, 19-Jan-07 12:18 AM, #3
     Reply I'm right there, soiling myself with you buddy. nt, GinGa, 19-Jan-07 08:41 PM, #6
     Reply It's not quite what it was., Daevryn, 19-Jan-07 12:21 AM, #4

MortFri 19-Jan-07 09:53 AM
Member since 23rd Jan 2006
194 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1122, "RE: Silent Tower Miscellanea"
In response to Reply #0

What of us who have managed to piss the entire tower off so that everything attacks on sight, should I just wait for my next character, or could I actually get something done again?

DaevrynFri 19-Jan-07 08:48 PM
11117 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1128, "RE: Silent Tower Miscellanea"
In response to Reply #8

>What of us who have managed to piss the entire tower off so
>that everything attacks on sight, should I just wait for my
>next character, or could I actually get something done again?
>

It depends on what you want to accomplish.

If you seek a peaceful way, forgiveness is not wholly out of the question and need be sought from the logical source.

On the other hand, if war on the Tower is what you seek (either for principle or because, damn it, those archmages have pimp gear), then, yeah, sooner or later you're looking at fighting a war and should be ready to mow through some stuff to get around. At least there are no Styx Devils in there.

LarcatFri 19-Jan-07 11:04 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
495 posts
#1129, "Do they have pimp gear? nt"
In response to Reply #14

nt

"New payment options w/ Iron Realms"

DaevrynSun 21-Jan-07 01:06 PM
11117 posts
#1131, "They do, too."
In response to Reply #15

Not half as pimp as I often hear it is, though. People with so much creativity should write their own areas instead of reimagining mine.

Graatch (inactive user)Thu 18-Jan-07 06:01 PM
Charter member
In response to Reply #0

One of the few things that make me wish I weren't such a big battle player is the seeming inability to go to or explore the silent tower. I have been here since its inception obviously, and I have never, not once, with any character, stepped foot into this place. Everyone and their mother talks about how terrific it is, and I have never, ever been. It upsets me.

And you know I've played plenty of non-battle during this period - communers, a few melee classes, the rare mage (since Diarmuid) - but somehow those non-battle chars never get invited to join anyone to go explore or visit the silent tower.

Having said all that, could you honestly say that a group of ragers would have much success there? And would it be worth it from a utility standpoint? Meaning, the coolness would be enough of a reason, yes, but would any of the things they find or information they learn be useable by a battlerager?

Anyway, all of this is by way of saying it's always sounded like a kick ass area and I wish I'd gone and experienced it already, even a little.

DaevrynFri 19-Jan-07 12:27 AM
11117 posts
#1119, "RE: Silent Tower Miscellanea"
In response to Reply #2

>Having said all that, could you honestly say that a group of
>ragers would have much success there? And would it be worth
>it from a utility standpoint? Meaning, the coolness would be
>enough of a reason, yes, but would any of the things they find
>or information they learn be useable by a battlerager?

I'm speculating because I've yet to see it tried in force, but I'd like to say yes to both counts.

Based on seeing Dhaevor's Battle group in Hell some years ago, I know that the right Battle group CAN clean up even very high-end high-danger areas.

Also, I had Battle in mind in constructing the area, which both helps and hurts. It does play a little different depending on how you approach it. One valid approach is "we need to smash all the magic stuff." Certain traps have alternate solutions for Battle, and some things where spellbane or resist wouldn't normally be big helps are. Conversely, some of the 'help' that's in the area for characters/groups that will use magic is obviously off limits for Battle. Does that all balance out? I think so, but I'm not really sure.

There's a lot of great, great magic gear in the area that Battle has to avoid, but there's also a great automated quest reward (that to the best of my knowledge has never gone out) that I'd wish to have for nearly all characters, but especially Battle. Again, does that balance out? I think so, but it's hard to say.

GinGaFri 19-Jan-07 05:40 AM
996 posts
#1121, "I'd love to try that quest, but..."
In response to Reply #5

I've only found one damn archmage to date. And I promptly did the whimper emote and discovered I couldn't escape.

I just don't think I'm the kind of guy who can take on these huge mobs with unreal powers. Dragons in distant caves that throw out evil maledicts? No probs! Trothon without a healer? Very possible! Hell down to the third level? As long as someone else leads...

The silent tower? I'm awaiting the discovery of how to insta-kill a lvl 60 mob and run Pwk ftw!

PS - If I did kill one of said (apparently) unescapable archmages, would I mystically be returned or am I basically looking at celebrating with suicide?

Yhorian.

DaevrynFri 19-Jan-07 08:46 PM
11117 posts
#1127, "RE: I'd love to try that quest, but..."
In response to Reply #7

>PS - If I did kill one of said (apparently) unescapable
>archmages, would I mystically be returned or am I basically
>looking at celebrating with suicide?

Only one that I can think of falls in that category, and the answer is, celebrating with suicide.

No, seriously, that's not how that's supposed to work, but I never finished that part. I always put it off because no one had ever really come close and I figured it could slide another year. I'll get on that soon.

LarcatFri 19-Jan-07 11:06 PM
495 posts
#1130, "You probably got to 2. nt"
In response to Reply #7

nt

"New payment options w/ Iron Realms"

Graatch (inactive user)Fri 19-Jan-07 11:00 AM
Charter member
In response to Reply #5

I hate you.

DaevrynFri 19-Jan-07 08:44 PM
11117 posts
#1126, "What did I do this time? (n/t)"
In response to Reply #9

Graatch (inactive user)Wed 24-Jan-07 12:28 PM
Charter member
#1133, "RE: What did I do this time? (n/t)"
In response to Reply #12

You made me want to go, that's what.

laxmanFri 19-Jan-07 12:04 PM
Member since 18th Aug 2003
1867 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#1124, "just out of curiosity concerning the automated quest"
In response to Reply #5

I know where it is started and my questionis do you have to do eveything the dude asks to see the reward or is their incremental rewards for accomplishing the individual things he asks?

also does being in a group hurt you when your doing it.

DaevrynFri 19-Jan-07 08:43 PM
11117 posts
#1125, "RE: just out of curiosity concerning the automated ques..."
In response to Reply #10

>I know where it is started and my questionis do you have to
>do eveything the dude asks to see the reward or is their
>incremental rewards for accomplishing the individual things he
>asks?

Depending on which quest you're asking about, it could be either. If it's the one I think you're thinking of, the bulk of it is definitely at the end.

>also does being in a group hurt you when your doing it.

In terms of quest completion it shouldn't. I want to say if you're there fighting when something dies that's good enough.

GinGaThu 18-Jan-07 04:06 PM
996 posts
#1115, "Should I still unconditionally phe4r the treasure room?"
In response to Reply #0

Or is that more forgiving when I invariable eff-up?

Honestly, I'm surprised I am not trying to bill you for the hair loss that place causes! Let alone the hundreds I spend on new keyboards and monitors

Yhorian.

eternal_elfThu 18-Jan-07 09:57 PM
Member since 25th Feb 2005
59 posts
#1117, "That is the exact spot/change"
In response to Reply #1

That has stopped me from going back to ST.

I'm a wimp.

GinGaFri 19-Jan-07 05:34 AM
996 posts
#1120, "I'm right there, soiling myself with you buddy. nt"
In response to Reply #3

nt

DaevrynFri 19-Jan-07 12:21 AM
11117 posts
#1118, "It's not quite what it was."
In response to Reply #1

But it's still a hit to the groin.

Let's say if you know what you're doing and you just happen to bone it (I've done that, FYI), you're probably less bad off than before, but if you have no clue what you're doing life is still pretty bad.

Top General Discussions Announcements Topic #1109 Previous topic | Next topic