Subject: ""Fail fast, fail often, fail everywhere"" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #65311
Show all folders

NoobAgainTue 15-Nov-16 11:39 AM
Member since 01st Mar 2007
408 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#65311, ""Fail fast, fail often, fail everywhere""

Greetings fellow players and immortals of Carrion Fields! I've been an avid CFer for decades. There is hardly anything about CF that I dislike - it's a unique treasure in today's broad gaming experience.

I recently attended executive training in Silicon Valley and one particular motto (I hope not too much of a cliche by now) that truly stuck with me is "fail fast, fail often and fail everywhere". In the innovation community this motto is used to try new things, test the market and immediately adjust if the market responds negatively. It is typically not the first idea that succeeds, or the second... but often the third or the forth and so on. The trick is to take failure as part of doing business and not to be defensive about it. It's the whole "we tried, it didn't work, let's try something different" way of thinking. In today's fast-paced environment, it is crucial to bear this in mind to survive.

This brings me to an attempt to revive a dead horse that's been beaten too many times - *EDGES*. I've followed the debate for a long time and have not opined much on the subject. So please allow me to offer a perspective. I think very few people will disagree that "edges are fun". It's customization, it's new content, who doesn't like that? I hope we can use that as a common ground. Now, "implementation of edges" has been the subject of much debate. However, smarter people than me can come up with a system of implementing edges that's objective to minimize controversy - the system that I saw posted that I really liked was 1/ categorize edges into cheap, medium, expensive categories and 2/ award such edges at objective pass marks (every 5 levels, certain hours played, etc.)

Let me take a deep breath and say - taking away edges (which has happened - even though of course you can still get a couple here and there) was a "failure" in the sense of the word that was used in my introduction. (You may disagree with me, but I simply ask that you pause and reflect on that for a moment.) And let's learn from that "failure" and readjust quickly.

The numbers are down. I, personally, am not incentivized to login when a lot of content which I thought was fun and quirky is taken away. Let's bring it back, and maybe (just maybe) the numbers will go up.

Transition from edges to some other "unfun" changes. Is it really a good idea to take away fly from fully empowered healers? The only class which makes exploration truly possible. It hampers said exploration. "Fly" is an integral part of "keeping your group alive". Another aspect of CF which may not happen as often as people would like because of this change. Why not "consider" (I'm not actually saying do it) reverting it using the "fail fast, fail often, fail everywhere" mantra?

I think the main point is that there is nothing wrong with saying "well, that didn't work so well", making an adjustment, and moving on. That does not make us or portray us as weak or indecisive or frivolous; rather, it shows that we are smart and can make adjustments where necessary.

Some adjustments need to be made to keep CF vibrant; I hope the immortal community sees and understands that fact. I'm simply offering a few ideas and examples where "failing fast" and making "fast adjustments" can really revive a few things.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Topic"Fail fast, fail often, fail everywhere" [View all] , NoobAgain, Tue 15-Nov-16 11:39 AM
Reply Not how CF was envisioned., Murphy, 16-Nov-16 07:33 AM, #3
Reply That was one opinion., Lhydia, 16-Nov-16 08:44 AM, #4
     Reply RE: That was one opinion., NoobAgain, 16-Nov-16 11:28 AM, #5
          Reply RE: That was one opinion., Retan, 16-Nov-16 01:01 PM, #6
               Reply And it's Macho NT, Kstatida, 16-Nov-16 03:37 PM, #7
Reply We're more Dostoevsky style, Kstatida, 16-Nov-16 07:23 AM, #2
Reply Yeah, yeah, yeah..., NoobAgain, 16-Nov-16 07:00 PM, #8
Reply I completely agree with all of this..., Wasted, 15-Nov-16 01:58 PM, #1
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #65311 Previous topic | Next topic