Subject: "Don't really care to debate this" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #44636
Show all folders

TorakTue 27-Mar-12 06:49 PM
Member since 15th Feb 2007
1216 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#44659, "Don't really care to debate this"

Last response on this:

>- 17 STR means you are probably going to be at max carry
>weight almost all the time, especially with wands and preps in
>the inventory. Also, their average size and low STR (which
>means low weight) means bashing is generally going to suck,
>which leaves trip as your option to keep people in a
>fight...good luck there at hero.

If you're bashing, you're doing it wrong. You can keep plenty of people there other ways (curse, deafen, trip, vault lag, morosa lag, crippling strike, etc). I assure you, even dark-elf APs do fine and that 17str is not that big of an issue at all.

>- The "sweet spot" size you say they are at isn't really sweet
>at all. Sure they can shrink/enlarge, but so can non-rager
>giants. The ensuing bash-down by a giant sword spec would be
>brutal.

Again, if you're getting bashed, you're doing it wrong. If you're that worried about bash, either get the wraithform prep or friends or don't fight - what a concept! I assure you there are a lot of other classes out there that don't bash. Nor would you care if some idiot is bashing you when you have 100 charges - he's impaling himself on you. I said the best, not the easiest.

>- Until they reach critical mass (and who really knows how
>many charges that might be with a felar - it's uncharted
>territory), there are many, many things that should be able to
>beat one fairly easy imho.

I had a pretty high amount on my felar and I was already starting to get there but it ended tragically. When you're hitting for ***DEMO/OBLIT with claw hits, you'll see how quickly it could become strong. I never said it was easy...

>- A felar AP can't use an orb of travel if they are using a
>spear (and I am pretty damn sure you'd want to use a spear or
>other 2-handed weapon), and it's a lifesaver in so many
>situations that people will engineer to bring down an AP.

Have you read my FAQ? I know this better than probably anyone. You can always excision a wand, invoke a strange opal, bring friends, don't fight in dumb places, etc. Being an AP is all about knowing when to fight. Any AP can die, orb or not if you don't play well and get lucky.

>- Bards will theoretically rip you a new one. You won't be
>able to lag them. If they have semi-decent saves, good luck
>with deafen. And, if it lands, they will just run. If they
>fiend you, you're pretty screwed.

Fiends aren't that bad as a felar. There are a lot of uber gears that can easily give you a ton of -mental saves, plus there's always resist mental preps. With haste, claw+weapon attacks, ABS, etc fiends weren't an issue. Fiends eat up unprepared people or villagers.

>To sum it all up, I predict a huge let down from this build. I
>think it has _potential_ in the way that everything has
>potential under the perfect circumstances. Feel free to try,
>but don't be pissed if it doesn't go at all the way you
>imagine it will. I believe bash will be your #1 enemy, and
>Ragers will eat you alive. Rager bards even moreso.
>Additionally, you aren't going to have an easy time keeping
>anyone in combat. You'll have to do some extremely tedious
>prep-juggling due to your weight-carry restrictions from being
>so pathetically weak. So, lots of running around, lots of near
>kills without sealing them, and lots of bashdown deaths.
>Sounds fun.

Until you get an AP with 150+ charges, you don't have much experience to stand on. Not trying to be mean here, but this build was never suggested for people who think unability to bash will be a problem. I assure you, plenty of APs do not just bash people down. All your arguments are even more slanted against drows and yet they have been some of the strongest APs - and now felars have their sleep capability *and* insane combat with better bonuses/stats/etc.

It's not easy but it has the potential to easily be the best. 100+ charges on a fire giant vs felar, I'd take the felar every time.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

HOT TopicIs Catnap edge assigned at an unusually high level or i... [View all] , FelarAP (Anonymous), Tue 27-Mar-12 12:12 PM
Reply By design., Daevryn, 27-Mar-12 12:24 PM, #1
     Reply Oh, super sad face, FelarAP (Anonymous), 27-Mar-12 01:02 PM, #2
          Reply So...., Torak, 27-Mar-12 01:12 PM, #3
               Reply or its something like, laxman, 27-Mar-12 01:48 PM, #4
                    Reply Not sure if serious...., Torak, 27-Mar-12 02:01 PM, #5
                         Reply While I somewhat agree with Laxman about depleted con, FelarAP (Anonymous), 27-Mar-12 02:20 PM, #6
                         Reply Pretty sure the imms just made a change..., Gaplemo, 27-Mar-12 02:52 PM, #7
                              Reply RE: Pretty sure the imms just made a change..., Daevryn, 27-Mar-12 03:17 PM, #8
                         Reply Why is felar the strongest?, laxman, 27-Mar-12 03:39 PM, #9
                              Reply I've also wondered the same..., Tac, 27-Mar-12 03:51 PM, #10
                                   Reply Let's see..., Torak, 27-Mar-12 04:30 PM, #11
                                        Reply I could have sworn felar can't wear that belt. , TMNS, 27-Mar-12 05:14 PM, #12
                                        Reply They can't use it. It's too hot to wear. ~, _Magus_, 27-Mar-12 05:32 PM, #13
                                             Reply This new?, Torak, 27-Mar-12 06:00 PM, #14
                                                  Reply When did they get unblock able attacks?, laxman, 27-Mar-12 06:13 PM, #15
                                                       Reply RE: When did they get unblock able attacks?, Torak, 27-Mar-12 06:17 PM, #16
                                        Reply I'm telling you, fist-law, 27-Mar-12 06:27 PM, #17
                                        Reply Don't really care to debate this, Torak, 27-Mar-12 06:49 PM #18
                                             Reply Who was your 150+ charge AP?, Oldril, 27-Mar-12 07:27 PM, #19
                                             Reply I can answer this: He's never had one., TMNS, 27-Mar-12 07:58 PM, #20
                                             Reply Bzz wrong nt, Torak, 27-Mar-12 09:17 PM, #25
                                                  Reply I'm sorry, what was your AP with over a 100 charges the..., TMNS, 27-Mar-12 09:27 PM, #27
                                                       Reply lets not forget that more than half of big charge AP's ..., laxman, 28-Mar-12 06:18 AM, #40
                                             Reply I've actually had two, Torak, 27-Mar-12 09:08 PM, #23
                                                  Reply I am not trolling, Oldril, 27-Mar-12 09:21 PM, #26
                                                  Reply I agree with Oldril. What is the world coming to :(, TMNS, 27-Mar-12 09:28 PM, #28
                                                  Reply Ugh, Torak, 27-Mar-12 09:29 PM, #29
                                                       Reply Well, Oldril, 27-Mar-12 09:31 PM, #30
                                                            Reply RE: Well, Torak, 27-Mar-12 09:45 PM, #31
                                                                 Reply Now I'm an imbecile?, Oldril, 27-Mar-12 09:47 PM, #32
                                                                 Reply He could always post an ID of the weapon....oh wait., TMNS, 27-Mar-12 10:08 PM, #34
                                                                 Reply RE: Well, Daevryn, 28-Mar-12 11:55 AM, #41
                                                  Reply Torak math two is in reality one., Oldril, 27-Mar-12 09:51 PM, #33
                                                  Reply Who was your hero-range felar AP? nt, DurNominator, 27-Mar-12 11:32 PM, #35
                                                       Reply Rawvos, Torak, 28-Mar-12 12:48 AM, #36
                                                            Reply You never hit 51 and you deleted hrs after hitting hero..., TMNS, 28-Mar-12 01:16 AM, #37
                                                            Reply PS I never gave you your deserved props for playing Mub..., TMNS, 28-Mar-12 01:30 AM, #38
                                                            Reply Not a hero and you deleted fairly early., DurNominator, 29-Mar-12 02:45 AM, #42
                                                                 Reply I've had a few, Torak, 29-Mar-12 12:20 PM, #43
                                                                      Reply RE: I've had a few, Daevryn, 29-Mar-12 12:34 PM, #44
                                                                           Reply this post is pwnsauce, Oldril, 29-Mar-12 01:38 PM, #45
                                                                           Reply Wait,, Tsunami, 29-Mar-12 03:18 PM, #48
                                                                           Reply One of those requirements has a tough PK win requiremen..., DurNominator, 30-Mar-12 12:12 AM, #49
                                                                           Reply Fair enough, Torak, 29-Mar-12 12:44 PM, #46
                                                                                Reply RE: Fair enough, Daevryn, 29-Mar-12 01:00 PM, #47
                                             Reply RE: Don't really care to debate this, Daevryn, 27-Mar-12 08:41 PM, #22
                                             Reply Yes, I have, Torak, 27-Mar-12 09:06 PM, #24
                                             Reply Basically, all your points are wrong., tongni12, 08-Apr-12 09:04 AM, #53
                                        Reply RE: Let's see..., Daevryn, 27-Mar-12 08:37 PM, #21
                                        Reply Dammit Daev quit trolling you know that Aether doesn't ..., Lhydia, 28-Mar-12 05:39 AM, #39
                                        Reply What is he talking about?, DurNominator, 01-Apr-12 11:04 AM, #51
                                             Reply RE: What is he talking about?, Daevryn, 01-Apr-12 12:31 PM, #52
                                        Reply This is the best post ever., Shapa, 01-Apr-12 08:28 AM, #50
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #44636 Previous topic | Next topic