Subject: "RE: Stats/Rollers/Lag" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #13
Show all folders

ValkenarSun 03-Mar-02 02:14 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
1203 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#15, "RE: Stats/Rollers/Lag"

Here's my opinion, since nobody else has posted so far.

As for the removal of the rolling, this has been discussed before and they don't like the idea (neither do I for that matter) but I believe the standard answer is "If you can come up with a better mechanism we'll think about it". Note of course, that I am resoundly not in the "we" from which that statement comes. You might want to search the archives for posts about this that have been made before, I know I've seen them.

As for the lag, if I remember correctly the word is that it doesn't exist. The mud as a whole is sparing of the machine's resources, and no amount of rolling can overwork the machine. I believe this was discussed in the context of multi-rolling and someone explained that lagging the machine is not the reason multi-rolling is illegal.

As for the crashing, this is conjecture, but I highly doubt the stat roller would cause any crashes. Since it's not crashing because it's overstraining the machine, any crashes due to rolling would have to be from bugs in the roller itself. Since the roller has been around just about forever, that doesn't seem like a likely possibility.

Note, however, that all of this completely innacurate due to my lack of *actual* knowledge on the subject.

-Valkenar the Newbie, Long-Winded Inquisitor, Poster of Uninformed Commentary.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicStats/Rollers/Lag [View all] , Eladio (Guest), Sat 02-Mar-02 11:43 PM
Reply RE: Stats/Rollers/Lag, Zulghinlour, 03-Mar-02 02:56 AM, #2
Reply RE: Stats/Rollers/Lag, Valkenar, 03-Mar-02 02:14 AM #1
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #13 Previous topic | Next topic