Subject: "RE: Agreed.." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #49878
Show all folders

KalageadonSat 08-Jun-13 04:12 PM
Member since 23rd Oct 2003
1048 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#49975, "RE: Agreed.."

I'd like to add in my perspective and I will say that I think that the hardest and most important aspect is simply getting the feel for the game. It isn't even remotely close in the realm of how other games feel.

What I mean by that is, how many other games do you move by typing directions, see via words and text, move without seeing physically where you're going? The largest hurdle in my opinion isn't prep knowledge, or item knowledge, but just getting the feel for the game, by learning how to move and where to move.

My best example of this would be to pose the question: How many of us turn on short descriptions, almost immediately?

Another good question may be, how do you set your prompt? or what damage types you like? or even if you color improves or affects?

As far as ooc knowledge is concerned, the list of items and mobs that hold them on Dio's was my best friend when I was first learning this game because I could see something, look it up, and then ask about it in game so I could find it. Sadly, I believe that this same mentality isn't taught to people. Having said that, not all people have my reaction, and they'd like nothing more than to simply read what something does, where it is, and skip interacting with people to find it, so long as it provides them with some perceived benefit. The info on Dio's was just vague enough that it acted as a carrot on a stick rather than the finishline it's self. I personally wouldn't mind seeing his list getting some sort of update feature to allow select people to throw item id's and mob names/area names in there but it really isn't needed once a person has a feel for how the game really works.

Overall, I think my point is that it is better to teach people the game, while still in the game, rather than them being able to read it somewhere. As a side effect, you get a monumental amount of ic rp to boot.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicKnowledge Gap vs. Skill Gap [View all] , Tac, Thu 06-Jun-13 09:24 PM
Reply I think you mean well. But your examples are not exactl..., Zephon, 07-Jun-13 11:50 AM, #5
Reply Really?, Homard, 07-Jun-13 06:55 AM, #1
     Reply This isn't helpful..., Tac, 07-Jun-13 11:04 AM, #2
     Reply Agreed., Swordsosaurus, 07-Jun-13 11:21 AM, #3
          Reply You have also missed my point..., Tac, 07-Jun-13 11:32 AM, #4
               Reply I'll support this statement, geenugs, 07-Jun-13 12:19 PM, #6
               Reply AMAZING POST!, Thinhallen, 08-Jun-13 07:08 AM, #9
                    Reply I'd say that the sweetspot of CF is when you play your ..., Amberion, 08-Jun-13 08:02 AM, #10
                    Reply Agreed.., Thinhallen, 08-Jun-13 12:57 PM, #12
                         Reply RE: Agreed.., Kalageadon, 08-Jun-13 04:12 PM #15
                         Reply I admit, Swordsosaurus, 08-Jun-13 04:24 PM, #16
                              Reply Agreed.., Thinhallen, 09-Jun-13 03:17 PM, #17
                    Reply Disagree, Swordsosaurus, 08-Jun-13 11:26 AM, #11
                         Reply RE: Disagree, Thinhallen, 08-Jun-13 01:04 PM, #13
                              Reply That's a good way to look at it., Swordsosaurus, 08-Jun-13 01:59 PM, #14
               Reply I guess I did., Swordsosaurus, 07-Jun-13 12:28 PM, #7
                    Reply I do remember what it is like to learn a new mud..., Tac, 07-Jun-13 01:16 PM, #8
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #49878 Previous topic | Next topic