Subject: "Trip/Bash...lag moves" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #46254
Show all folders

The HereticMon 02-Jul-12 02:31 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
212 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#46254, "Trip/Bash...lag moves"

By the numbers this isn't something that is broken. But from a player's point of view there is something disheartening about not getting a command off in a fight. To make the game more interesting I'd like to see a change made to lag moves.

Bash and trip work the way they have always. They do two things, command denial and flee denial. These are two separate things. There are moves that only do one, entwine and cutoff for the warriors and these are potent skills. Command denial can be seen in things like forget or deafen. When trip/bash lands it does both. A very effective bash being the most potent.

My understanding is that the code behind the mud is much different than it was when these things were created. It is possible to do much more these days. What if lag moves were tweaked a bit so that each of these parts were broken up?

The system I'm imagining would work something like this:

Lag moves would prevent fleeing as they have always. But, there would be different parts. First you are knocked to the ground. Second you regain your bearings and put your feet under you. The third part is getting to your feet and recovering fully.

The first part, on the ground you can do nothing and commands are denied. During the second part sufficiently martial classes should be able to execute combat moves. And finally at the third part, when you're recovered you can flee. Attempting to flee before then will cause a wait period for full recovery and it would be exactly like fleeing when bashed now. The difference here is you can chose to fight back instead of fleeing.

I would also like to see some level effectiveness to bash. A mage/communer caught without protective shield after they have the ability should recover from bashes just like they do now. They should be screwed for the tactical error. But until that rank, lag moves are slightly less powerful and they can execute commands as described above. I think this would be completely fair because casters are weak having little damage reduction or output before having bash protection. Standing and casting will probably still get them killed. But, it may give them a chance and it will make things not seem so hopeless.

Lag moves are worst in two on one. Something like this would give the one the choice to execute some commands since he probably will not be fleeing. It is two against one, so the two should win. This probably will not change the outcome but it will make things seem not so hopeless.

Some changes to Greeting the Avalanche might be required, and this ability could be improved. Maybe offer edges extending the command denial or flee denial part. If the flee denial was extended to four rounds the warrior could then have the ability to execute combos. Instead of bash for 12 consecutive rounds they would get to use some of the other skills they have perfected. Bash > cross > bash > jab > jab > bash. Both sides are now executing commands, but as before fleeing is not an option.

For a change to lag like this, word of recall, vanish, scatter...anything that ends combat would need to require the user be fully recovered.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

HOT TopicTrip/Bash...lag moves [View all] , The Heretic, Mon 02-Jul-12 02:31 PM
Reply I quasi-regularly get tooled by lag (like most of us)., Homard, 02-Jul-12 03:10 PM, #1
     Reply An addition, Tsunami, 02-Jul-12 03:27 PM, #2
          Reply A double-edges sword, The Heretic, 02-Jul-12 05:18 PM, #3
               Reply Too simple, Tsunami, 02-Jul-12 05:36 PM, #4
               Reply I'm not worried about lowbie mages..., The Heretic, 02-Jul-12 08:51 PM, #5
                    Reply ah, I see., Tsunami, 02-Jul-12 11:26 PM, #6
               Reply RE: A double-edges sword, GoTeamUnderdog, 03-Jul-12 02:43 AM, #7
                    Reply I have to disagree, lasentia, 03-Jul-12 07:52 AM, #8
                         Reply RE: I have to disagree, KrunkTheOrc (Anonymous), 03-Jul-12 08:53 AM, #9
                         Reply One command?, The Heretic, 03-Jul-12 09:24 AM, #10
                         Reply So you wait for echos to land when fighting a bard?, KrunkTheOrc (Anonymous), 03-Jul-12 10:01 AM, #12
                              Reply RE: So you wait for echos to land when fighting a bard?, The Heretic, 03-Jul-12 10:19 AM, #14
                                   Reply RE: So you wait for echos to land when fighting a bard?, Daevryn, 03-Jul-12 10:25 AM, #15
                                        Reply Chance?, The Heretic, 03-Jul-12 10:32 AM, #16
                                             Reply RE: Chance?, Daevryn, 03-Jul-12 12:09 PM, #19
                                                  Reply RE: Chance?, The Heretic, 03-Jul-12 01:25 PM, #21
                                                       Reply RE: Chance?, GoTeamUnderdog, 03-Jul-12 01:30 PM, #22
                                                       Reply RE: Chance?, The Heretic, 03-Jul-12 01:56 PM, #23
                                                       Reply RE: Chance?, Daevryn, 03-Jul-12 02:03 PM, #24
                                                            Reply No chance, The Heretic, 03-Jul-12 02:23 PM, #25
                                                                 Reply Are you talking straight melee with no commands entered..., Homard, 03-Jul-12 02:32 PM, #26
                                                                 Reply Decent warrior, The Heretic, 03-Jul-12 02:42 PM, #28
                                                                 Reply Incorrect, Tsunami, 03-Jul-12 02:41 PM, #27
                                                                 Reply Run the numbers, The Heretic, 03-Jul-12 02:45 PM, #29
                                                                      Reply And roll for initiative..., The Heretic, 03-Jul-12 02:48 PM, #30
                                                                           Reply I've played both, Tsunami, 03-Jul-12 03:00 PM, #31
                                                                           Reply Are you aware there isn't an initiative roll in the gam..., Alston, 06-Jul-12 09:43 PM, #50
                                                                           Reply RE: Are you aware there isn't an initiative roll in the..., Daevryn, 06-Jul-12 10:06 PM, #51
                                                                           Reply Unless you are me. When I surprise people, Alston, 07-Jul-12 07:49 AM, #52
                                                                 Reply RE: No chance, Daevryn, 03-Jul-12 03:13 PM, #32
                                                                      Reply Invokers are OP, The Heretic, 03-Jul-12 03:53 PM, #33
                                                                           Reply Complete command denial., Homard, 03-Jul-12 04:16 PM, #34
                                                                           Reply RE: Complete command denial., The Heretic, 04-Jul-12 08:09 AM, #39
                                                                           Reply What are you thinking needs to be done., Homard, 04-Jul-12 09:07 AM, #40
                                                                           Reply That's fair,, Tsunami, 04-Jul-12 01:51 PM, #44
                         Reply Krunk is a fine example., lasentia, 03-Jul-12 09:25 AM, #11
                              Reply My last since Krunk is still an active char..., KrunkTheOrc (Anonymous), 03-Jul-12 10:13 AM, #13
                                   Reply Fair enough, lasentia, 03-Jul-12 10:58 AM, #17
                         Reply RE: I have to disagree, GoTeamUnderdog, 03-Jul-12 11:10 AM, #18
                              Reply RE: I have to disagree, Daevryn, 03-Jul-12 12:16 PM, #20
                              Reply So baffld, Valkenar, 03-Jul-12 08:33 PM, #35
                              Reply I agree with this. I'm confused., Zephon, 03-Jul-12 09:25 PM, #36
                              Reply It's a numbers game, spend 40 hours at rank 20, laxman, 03-Jul-12 11:28 PM, #37
                              Reply Explanation, GoTeamUnderdog, 03-Jul-12 11:45 PM, #38
                              Reply Elf or dark-elf, Tsunami, 04-Jul-12 01:58 PM, #45
                              Reply RE: So baffld, Daevryn, 04-Jul-12 09:11 AM, #41
                                   Reply Every time I try this, Artificial, 04-Jul-12 09:57 AM, #42
                                   Reply 10 affinity, Scrimbul, 04-Jul-12 07:11 PM, #46
                                   Reply I can see it, TJHuron, 04-Jul-12 10:27 AM, #43
                              Reply I do this on occassion..., Akresius, 05-Jul-12 09:10 AM, #47
                                   Reply Me too :) I had an arial invoker recently..., TMNS, 05-Jul-12 01:52 PM, #49
                              Reply Cranial killed me more than bash, but yeah...., TMNS, 05-Jul-12 01:50 PM, #48
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #46254 Previous topic | Next topic