Subject: "My two cents" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #37032
Show all folders

GrudanThu 27-Jan-11 01:48 PM
Member since 21st Sep 2007
57 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#37043, "My two cents"

1. I don't have a good feel for this. My last thief only had 100 thief points and I thought he was already very powerful for what he was designed for. 120 would have gotten me another fun toy or two, like blackjack, but is 130 really that big a deal over 120? Maybe I haven't done enough of the math on the perfect thief build. I'll defer to others like you that have had better thieves on that, but I don't see the big difference.

2. Yes, giving imm xp for role entries distorts the way the role command is used. I'll argue it does make for better role-play though. First off, I never roll a guy without a role anymore. Even I'm rolling a ranger I just plan to screw around with during a slow period at work, I'll write a role for him, just because 1000 imm xp is better than nothing. If this system encourages more people to have roles than not, I think it's a positive.

Second, for me imm xp gives me an excuse to pace and add role entries. I won't lie I add more role entries purely for the xp and the odd shot at winning a role contest. However, it gives me an excuse to write down what I'm already thinking of my guy as he grows and ages. I find the act of writing it down helps crystalize it in my head and actually does make me play better.

3. I have two answers for this one.

a) Yes, tying edge points to observation/exploration motivates people to do terribly unfun, boring things, over and over. The upside is huge though, the movement points alone can be nice at mid levels, and so it is human nature to figure out the easiest way to get through repetitive tasks. People will game the system, and the people who game it best will have an advantage over those who do not.

b) This is a slippery slope to the core of CF. Obs/Explore, leveling, empowerment, Cabal induction, limited items, preps, wands, heck even minotaur slots. The principle of CF is "Yes, it's annoying, but the people who know how to do it well and are willing to do it over and over and over get an advantage."

Running obs/explore runs with every character isn't much different then leveling in the same zones with every character, or searching 52 distinct wand locations for the 6th time this year, or waiting around to get two recommendations (or an absentee leader) to a cabal you're already had 12 characters in in the past, or raising gold with yet another character to buy the same preps again and again, or checking if mob X holds the magic Y you've been looking for after every reset, etc.

What I like about the Obs/Explore timesink as opposed to almost all the others is that it can be done mostly solo. I don't need to wait for a cabal leader, or an imm, or the right leveling group, or some person to delete so I get the rare weapon he's hoarding, or wait til the merchants I can sell to have money, etc. At least when I log in and find few people on there's something I can do to at least feel like I'm progressing for a bit.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

HOT TopicDirt Nuggets [View all] , Isildur, Wed 26-Jan-11 11:30 PM
Reply Thief points, Zulghinlour, 29-Jan-11 01:58 PM, #23
Reply 3. New Command in Non Area Explore Areas, Seil Clavin (Anonymous), 27-Jan-11 08:01 PM, #14
Reply You do know that "look all" or "l a" works?, Amberion, 27-Jan-11 10:01 PM, #15
     Reply ....seriously? When did THIS happen...n/t, Same dude (Anonymous), 27-Jan-11 11:26 PM, #19
     Reply RE: You do know that , TJHuron, 28-Jan-11 09:24 AM, #20
          Reply So....L All doesn't work that way atm?, Seilclavin, 28-Jan-11 08:42 PM, #21
               Reply RE: So....L All doesn't work that way atm?, Grudan, 29-Jan-11 12:20 AM, #22
Reply RE: Dirt Nuggets, Elerosse, 27-Jan-11 05:27 PM, #13
Reply My real issue is the timesink:, UncleArzzra, 27-Jan-11 03:49 PM, #11
Reply RE: Dirt Nuggets, Tac, 27-Jan-11 03:40 PM, #10
Reply If you're talking about the heal-y sleeves, you're wron..., TMNS, 27-Jan-11 10:19 PM, #16
     Reply Maybe I'm just missing something., sorlag (Anonymous), 27-Jan-11 10:35 PM, #17
          Reply The Immortal in question can delete this post if he wan..., TMNS, 27-Jan-11 10:59 PM, #18
Reply My two cents, Grudan, 27-Jan-11 01:48 PM #9
Reply disagree on all points, laxman, 27-Jan-11 01:35 PM, #7
Reply RE: disagree on all points, sorlag (Anonymous), 27-Jan-11 04:20 PM, #12
Reply RE: Dirt Nuggets, sorlag (Anonymous), 27-Jan-11 12:53 PM, #5
Reply RE: Dirt Nuggets, Murphy, 27-Jan-11 12:20 AM, #2
Reply On 2 and 3, Artificial, 27-Jan-11 12:16 AM, #1
     Reply I sort of enjoy it and find new things every time I go ..., Lhydia, 27-Jan-11 05:51 AM, #3
     Reply I kind of enjoy it too, for a different reason, incognito, 01-Feb-11 04:00 PM, #28
     Reply I like the notion of fewer edges, lasentia, 27-Jan-11 12:08 PM, #4
     Reply What I'd prefer over this, but would probably be long-t..., sorlag (Anonymous), 27-Jan-11 01:26 PM, #6
     Reply this really exists already, laxman, 27-Jan-11 01:39 PM, #8
     Reply RE: On 2 and 3, Zulghinlour, 29-Jan-11 02:01 PM, #24
          Reply What I am suggesting, Artificial, 29-Jan-11 02:06 PM, #25
          Reply Monotony.., Thinhallen, 31-Jan-11 12:07 AM, #26
               Reply Well, player numbers have been up to 50+ most times I'm..., TMNS, 31-Jan-11 12:39 AM, #27
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #37032 Previous topic | Next topic