Subject: "RE: After my one time shifter experiment..." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #13958
Show all folders

AlenysiThu 27-Jul-06 06:41 PM
Member since 31st Mar 2006
23 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#13970, "RE: After my one time shifter experiment..."

>Two facts that make me think they need help.

First of all, one shifter isn't usually enough to say much. I have had several shifters and each was better then the previous one, and not because of forms.

>1. The random forms and choices are fun. But in the end, the forms >make or break your character in terms of ability. You cannot make a >shifter and think 'solo exploration', 'killer pk!' or 'a great >Acolyte'.

You are right that the random forms make it fun(it always gave me a real incentive to rank!), but the forms will not break your character unless you let them. For a solo exploration you might want to do defense/offense, defense/utility, or even defense/defense. For killer pk, well most of the utility forms and offense forms will do well with an air form. And for an acolyte, well if you are focusing on the more shield aspect, then defense in general should do very well in this type of role.

Yes, you are correct that you may not get the exact forms you want, but all forms are useful in their right. No class gets the damage reduction of an armadillo for example with no preps or magical help. Of course, understandably, you aren't going to kill anyone with an armadillo, and thats what your other form is for.

>You can increase the chances of a useful combo - if you cripple >yourself holding a focus choice until near Hero. But its that >random it hurts any specific RP or PK plans people make. This is a >great disadvantage to rolling one.

You are also right that if you are roleplaying a shifter who wants to learn how to fight foes as a shark and instead you learn to shift into a dolphin, but thats a highly specific role. Most folks can have a role based on their foci. I had a shifter that was a nutcase about birds for example(no smacking arials, no eating turkey, the whole thing). He had air as a focus, but it didn't matter so much what he learned.

PK plans can be hurt, if you were expecting a lion/porcupine combination or something close. You might end up with a tiger/crocodile instead. In either case, both combinations can work well.

>2. They are the least versatile of all the mage classes. Despite a >wide variety of possible forms - they are very predictable once >said forms are known. Its not even comparable to knowing a warriors >specs. Each form has one/two tasks it performs exceptionally well - >usually above any other classes ability in that area. Picking 'two' >of these is not versatility. Even if you can switch between the >two. Sure, no two are alike but its not as if they shuffle forms >each time you meet them again.

Agreed they are not very versatile, you are stuck with your forms. The best way to use a shifter is to figure out what form to be in and when. Its not a complicated system, but it works.

>3. Not being able to speak is possibly the worst set back to any >classes power. Ever.

Its a major setback, I agree. It makes perfect sense for shifters to not be able to speak, though. I think its fine as is, but as a player its up to you if the negatives outweigh the positives or not. Personally I am a silent ranker, so it gives me a good excuse not to talk at all

>4. While their strengths/weaknesses vary with combo's, this remains >true - Shifters have more vulnerabilities tactically than any other >class. For someone who only gains tactical choices/power at Hero, >thats rough. There's lots of niggles, like having haste+slow on a >stick. Except haste becomes a necessity. A hasted opponent negates >that as much as one dispel.
>
>90% of the vulns are from not being able to speak/heal and not >being able to use items/wands without losing -all- your ability >reverting. Even if you're lucky enough to get a regen form (not >even guaranteed for defensive shifters) there is no compare.

The controls offset losing haste/stone skin/etc when you shift and revert. I find that certain wands and preps make the shifters very powerful even with the risk of certain spells falling if you revert. Not being able to heal in form at a healer is a drawback, but often times you might be able to figure out a way to revert and heal, or at least run very fast.

Regeneration forms are always useful. I know that running around in circles with your sand lizard is always a good time. I also had a crocodile that got into a fight with an assassin. Even though he ran to healers to heal himself and come back to fight, there was no way I was going to die in that fight.

>There are many other drawbacks/advantages. Many of the advantages
> the best mentioned above, in No.2) do warrant big drawbacks.
>
>The thing that killed the shifter, is that more and more drawbacks >were added as they went along. Todays shifters, usually require >cabals and good (random) shape combo's to succeed. Few other cabals >have powers that do much at all to help and Scion shifters simply >have cabal powers perfect for them. Little things like this add up >into a nasty picture I discovered with my experiment.

You also have to take into account you don't have to be in form in fights. I know it sounds like a death sentence, but if you are ready for it, you can usually wands and staves to an advantage. So even if you get a combination or a form that most folks consider less then perfect, you can still utilize other skills of the class.

Shifters can do well uncaballed and I would say most, if not all, forms are good. Harkan is a good example in this respect(in many ways other then actual PK). He did well with his forms eagle/dolphin uncaballed. Perhaps he is one of the exceptions, but anyone can do what he did with the right amount of planning and understanding the strengths/weaknesses of the classes. Any cabal that shifters are welcomed in can do well. Can you imagine a falcon/cobra justiciar(or even vindicator for that fact)?

Another advantage of shifters is that even naked they have the same output of damage. Can your warrior say he can hit as hard as a naked lion?

The drawback of this, of course, is that gear doesn't help you as much as a warrior. But with efficient use of gear, the shifter can easily play up to their strengths. With +HP gear(which is fairly easy to find), you make him that much heartier. You don't have to focus on balancing gear. You can ignore saves vs spells, strength, damage roll, hit rolls, etc. Makes lazy people like myself have a much easier time.

>Every single class out there bar healers, has the ability to >cripple a shifter. Knowing their forms, complete avoidance can be >possible (even if you sacrificed a focus for an airform). I'd whip >up a list for this but it'd be long and boring. I don't think any >other class can claim as much vulnerability as that.
>
>Except Brundlebin, but he was in a class of his own.

Several forms have ways to hide from the playerbase. Wildcat camos and creeps. It might be difficult to avoid that if you didn't know the shifter was watching you for the last ten minutes. Tiger and dolphin has pounce. Granted you have to be in the fight for this to happen and it won't always succeed, but it still does the job against unprepared foes. Air forms have flyto and most(if not all, I can't remember) water forms have swimto. Dolphin(and other water forms) has underwater camoflauging too. Naturally a prepared foe will do better against you, but this is the case with any class.

Certain forms aren't as affected by maledictions then others. Crocodiles for example usually sit and take the punishment(and a fully prepared crocodile can be very hard to kill, with maledictions or not).

>I'm very interested to see how this Hyzin character plays out, >because as far as I can see he's the first shifter to gain 3 foci. >That's something I suggested once, but was shot down. Mainly >because some of the very difficult to get (probability wise) >combo's such as owl/tiger/croc were deemed overpowered. I don't >think such a combo would be invincible but sure, it'd be hella >tough. I'd also bet people would learn that having the option to >shift for another advantage (fly/pounce/regen) - and actually >shifting to use every single ability - is a hell of a lot harder >than you think.

Hyzin is doing well(I won't say too much about him, but from what I have heard/seen of him, he's awesome). In terms of the "overpoweredness" of the owl/tiger/croc, I think it would be(I can be wrong on this account though). Its not so much if people would use all their resources, but if people could use it. It may be difficult to shift to use all your abilities, but you can still use it.

>My essay, complete. I apologise for ranting, this is one of the >only subjects I'm nearly convinced I'm right in (we all have one I >guess).

No need to apologize for posting something that could facilitate a meaningful debate/discussion. If people didn't discuss what they think of certain classes/races/etc then we wouldn't have anything to go on when we change things for the betterment of the MUD.

>Edit - If you've read it all the way through, you're amazing. Well >done. I barely managed to do it once myself.

I guess I am amazing then

-Alenysi

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

HOT TopicWhy not.. [View all] , Gaenlin, Wed 26-Jul-06 11:46 PM
Reply RE: Why not.., nepenthe, 27-Jul-06 10:45 AM, #7
Reply RE: Why not.., Grurk Muouk, 27-Jul-06 08:16 AM, #1
     Reply Not to agree with the poster..., Kamuela_, 27-Jul-06 08:33 AM, #2
          Reply RE: Not to agree with the poster..., Grurk Muouk, 27-Jul-06 08:47 AM, #3
               Reply RE: Not to agree with the poster..., Gaenlin, 27-Jul-06 09:09 AM, #4
               Reply Though they are weaker than any mage class..., Lightmage, 27-Jul-06 09:21 AM, #5
                    Reply I don't agree with that. (n/t), nepenthe, 27-Jul-06 10:43 AM, #6
                         Reply After my one time shifter experiment..., GinGa, 27-Jul-06 05:34 PM, #8
                              Reply RE: After my one time shifter experiment..., Alenysi, 27-Jul-06 06:41 PM #9
                              Reply RE: After my one time shifter experiment..., nepenthe, 28-Jul-06 12:52 AM, #10
                              Reply Something people would like..., GinGa, 28-Jul-06 04:13 AM, #11
                                   Reply Addendum., GinGa, 28-Jul-06 07:33 AM, #12
                                        Reply RE: Addendum., nepenthe, 28-Jul-06 08:16 AM, #13
                                             Reply I'm not looking to overpower., GinGa, 28-Jul-06 08:44 AM, #14
                                             Reply DASH? txt, Larcat, 28-Jul-06 09:05 AM, #15
                                             Reply RE: DASH? txt, nepenthe, 28-Jul-06 09:31 AM, #16
                                                  Reply Partly because of the syntax, incognito, 28-Jul-06 10:06 AM, #19
                                                  Reply Agreed TXT, Larcat, 28-Jul-06 11:15 AM, #20
                                                  Reply Lore isn't broken, Tac, 28-Jul-06 01:18 PM, #23
                                                       Reply RE: Lore isn't broken, nepenthe, 28-Jul-06 02:48 PM, #24
                                                       Reply I beleive the point of that post was different, Tac, 28-Jul-06 03:09 PM, #28
                                                       Reply RE: I beleive the point of that post was different, Karel, 28-Jul-06 03:24 PM, #31
                                                            Reply Fair point, Tac, 28-Jul-06 03:36 PM, #32
                                                                 Reply RE: Fair point, Karel, 28-Jul-06 03:38 PM, #34
                                                                      Reply Hardly..., Tac, 28-Jul-06 03:52 PM, #36
                                                                      Reply RE: Hardly..., Karel, 28-Jul-06 04:03 PM, #39
                                                                      Reply Well..., Tac, 28-Jul-06 04:44 PM, #43
                                                                      Reply RE: Well..., Karel, 28-Jul-06 05:01 PM, #45
                                                       Reply Haha! Classic! n/t, Sandello, 31-Jul-06 11:20 PM, #49
                                                       Reply Har Har /nt, Rodriguez, 02-Aug-06 09:06 AM, #50
                                                       Reply RE: Lore isn't broken, Karel, 28-Jul-06 02:49 PM, #25
                                                            Reply This post is near enough the truth., GinGa, 28-Jul-06 03:00 PM, #27
                                                            Reply RE: This post is near enough the truth., Karel, 28-Jul-06 03:20 PM, #29
                                                            Reply RE: This post is near enough the truth., nepenthe, 28-Jul-06 03:50 PM, #35
                                                                 Reply One shifter isn't fearsome., GinGa, 28-Jul-06 04:08 PM, #40
                                                            Reply RE: Lore isn't broken, Tac, 28-Jul-06 03:23 PM, #30
                                                            Reply RE: Lore isn't broken, Karel, 28-Jul-06 03:37 PM, #33
                                                            Reply RE: Lore isn't broken, nepenthe, 28-Jul-06 03:56 PM, #37
                                                                 Reply RE: Lore isn't broken, Tac, 28-Jul-06 04:33 PM, #41
                                                            Reply RE: Lore isn't broken, nepenthe, 28-Jul-06 04:44 PM, #42
                                                                 Reply RE: Lore isn't broken, Karel, 28-Jul-06 04:52 PM, #44
                                                                 Reply I think this is the answer I wanted., GinGa, 29-Jul-06 06:45 AM, #46
                                                                 Reply Will a couple two-fours of Coors Light do?, Gaenlin, 29-Jul-06 11:43 AM, #48
                                             Reply RE: Addendum., Gaenlin, 28-Jul-06 12:17 PM, #21
                                                  Reply RE: Addendum., incognito, 28-Jul-06 12:25 PM, #22
                                                  Reply RE: Addendum., nepenthe, 28-Jul-06 02:56 PM, #26
                              Reply RE: After my one time shifter experiment..., DurNominator, 28-Jul-06 09:39 AM, #17
                                   Reply Awesome., GinGa, 28-Jul-06 10:01 AM, #18
                                        Reply RE: Awesome., Karel, 28-Jul-06 04:00 PM, #38
                                             Reply The reason I play alot of shifters...., Lightmage, 29-Jul-06 08:10 AM, #47
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #13958 Previous topic | Next topic