Subject: "Resource question:" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #10360
Show all folders

TheDudeTue 27-Sep-05 01:01 PM
Member since 20th Sep 2005
283 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#10426, "Resource question:"

I keep on hearing (reading) that there are no shortages of ideas that you folks have, and always have in the works, but that you lack resources for much of the heavy duty coding that these ideas require. And I tend to believe you as we all have things in our lives, hobbies, and at work that are on the proverbial plate but we just can't get to as soon as we would like.

Now I understand this completely, as I develop software, and it always seems that people think the stuff happens "automagically". Even to the point where customers sometimes seem like little kids who want their latest toy three days ago, without having any notion of what kind of strain developing that toy is going to put on the ~limited~ resources working on the project.

Anyways, I had a point somewhere here... I am curious to know - what is the process for bringing up new coders...or is there even a process? It would seem that you should have absolutely no problem getting help in this area - even free help - considering the types of people that play MUDs, and CF in particular. I mean, I would consider donating some time and energy in helping out, but don't think I have the ~MUDDING~ ability for what I am guessing it takes to get there ... (become an IMM, put in your time there, and who knows what else..?).

The major problem I see would be the trust issue. You can't just let anyone in. Also knowing where the game is headed in the eyes and minds of the Implementors has got to be key.

Well, okay, I done said enough, just was a bit curious on how, or even if, new coders are brought into the tightly-knit and highly guarded world CF has becomeover the years.

(And props to you all for the good work, by the way!!).

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicYour hardcore playerbase is erroding. Time for innovat... [View all] , Laearrist, Thu 22-Sep-05 12:58 PM
Reply This was a good read... but..., SPN, 23-Sep-05 09:32 AM, #5
Reply Nevermind, I see where you are going with this., SPN, 23-Sep-05 10:41 AM, #8
Reply RE: Your hardcore playerbase is erroding. Time for inn..., Evil Genius (Anonymous), 23-Sep-05 05:50 AM, #1
     Reply It's mostly about other game companies and genre's like..., Theerkla, 23-Sep-05 06:25 AM, #2
     Reply A little latteral thinking is neccessary... I'll explai..., Laearrist, 23-Sep-05 09:24 AM, #4
          Reply Good post (thank you) - some text, Sebeok, 23-Sep-05 09:42 AM, #6
          Reply RE: A little latteral thinking is neccessary... I'll ex..., Evil Genius (Anonymous), 23-Sep-05 10:27 AM, #7
          Reply Wasn't exactly, but your's is also a very valid point. ..., Laearrist, 23-Sep-05 11:49 AM, #9
          Reply Very Interesting Read, Kastellyn, 27-Sep-05 12:25 PM, #10
          Reply Resource question:, TheDude, 27-Sep-05 01:01 PM #11
               Reply RE: Resource question:, Valguarnera, 27-Sep-05 01:52 PM, #12
               Reply The Other Way..., Kastellyn, 27-Sep-05 04:47 PM, #13
          Reply I think I agreed with every single word in this post. ..., Catastrophic, 27-Sep-05 05:57 PM, #14
     Reply You should've read the link, Valkenar, 23-Sep-05 09:16 AM, #3
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #10360 Previous topic | Next topic