Subject: "Don't think that's quite it." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #804
Show all folders

HagglerThu 14-Jul-05 12:58 PM
Member since 30th Jun 2005
110 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#869, "Don't think that's quite it."

This idea was discussed and dismissed again and again many years before swiftstrike or even inherents were a twinkle in CF's eyes. The way I see it, is look at the backstory. Elves are supposed to be very goodly. So much so, that certain things will corrupt them unquestioningly.

Now think about the backstory of your character. Thief "I learned how to steal so that I could take the edge off of the dark one before he even knew he'd lost it." Warrior "I learned how to defend myself and if need be, make the first strike to protect the goodness around me." Assassin "I killed zounds of people so that I'd be good at killing. Oh, and I know how to kick as well."

One of these things does not belong, and I bet you can tell which. There are solid RP reasons that high elves do not become assassins. Half elves, those of less pure blood and descent, can.

The problem isn't that assassins can't be or do good, it's that they're far from the purity level of a high elf. On the note of elven purity, I've seen a handful converted to neutral and get reamed with the penalties associated for not _acting_ high elven. With the benefits of being a high elf, there is implied pureness responsibility. This conflicts with the concept of assassinations.

Note: The above is all my opinion, but answered this riddle for me years ago.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicWas thinking... [View all] , rain, Mon 30-May-05 03:37 PM
Reply Assassination is the art of death, Theerkla, 30-May-05 08:09 PM, #1
     Reply RE: Assassination is the art of death, rain, 31-May-05 12:19 AM, #2
          Reply Being good is different then the elven outlook. Like I..., Theerkla, 31-May-05 02:35 AM, #3
          Reply RE: Assassination is the art of death, Cytherea, 15-Jun-05 11:29 PM, #4
               Reply So, following that train of thought..., Enbuergo, 16-Jun-05 09:13 AM, #5
                    Reply Regardless of identical outcomes, I still see philosoph..., Theerkla, 16-Jun-05 10:35 AM, #6
                         Reply i dig it, rain, 14-Jul-05 12:17 PM, #7
                              Reply Don't think that's quite it., Haggler, 14-Jul-05 12:58 PM #8
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #804 Previous topic | Next topic