Subject: "Was thinking..." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #804
Show all folders

rainMon 30-May-05 03:37 PM
Member since 20th Jul 2004
13 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#804, "Was thinking..."

Why cant high elves be assassins. If it's a questions of goodness, they can be theives can't they? Doesn't make any senes to me.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Assassination is the art of death, Theerkla, 30-May-05 08:09 PM, #1
     Reply RE: Assassination is the art of death, rain, 31-May-05 12:19 AM, #2
          Reply Being good is different then the elven outlook. Like I..., Theerkla, 31-May-05 02:35 AM, #3
          Reply RE: Assassination is the art of death, Cytherea, 15-Jun-05 11:29 PM, #4
               Reply So, following that train of thought..., Enbuergo, 16-Jun-05 09:13 AM, #5
                    Reply Regardless of identical outcomes, I still see philosoph..., Theerkla, 16-Jun-05 10:35 AM, #6
                         Reply i dig it, rain, 14-Jul-05 12:17 PM, #7
                              Reply Don't think that's quite it., Haggler, 14-Jul-05 12:58 PM, #8

TheerklaMon 30-May-05 08:09 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
1055 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#805, "Assassination is the art of death"
In response to Reply #0

Elves love life to dearly to focus on such. Do a forum search, the imms have answered this more eloquently than me on more than one occassion.

rainTue 31-May-05 12:18 AM
13 posts
#806, "RE: Assassination is the art of death"
In response to Reply #1
Edited on Tue 31-May-05 12:19 AM

Then shouldn't high elves be too classy to steal? And I've seen a fair share of good assassins.

TheerklaTue 31-May-05 02:35 AM
1055 posts
#807, "Being good is different then the elven outlook. Like I..."
In response to Reply #2

This one has been fairly well discussed.

CythereaWed 15-Jun-05 11:29 PM
Member since 13th May 2005
67 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#828, "RE: Assassination is the art of death"
In response to Reply #2

From my little point of view, and trust me, it's not much, these are my thoughts. A elf can steal, nothing wrong with that. As for a practice for pure death, that is far from the life of an elf. They are suppose to be the most goodly of races, and dealing in only death, well, I just don't see it.

cytherea@carrionfields.com

EnbuergoThu 16-Jun-05 09:13 AM
150 posts
#829, "So, following that train of thought..."
In response to Reply #4

Chopping someone up slowly and painfully (elf warrior), causing horrific and fatal skin/bone/flesh mutations (elf trannie) arepreferable to killing someone quickly and painlessly (nonexistent elf assassin)? I don't really buy it either. If it's done in the service of the light, who cares the means you employ.

TheerklaThu 16-Jun-05 10:35 AM
1055 posts
#830, "Regardless of identical outcomes, I still see philosoph..."
In response to Reply #5

If you don't you don't, and that's fine, in your line of thinking there isn't any reason elves can't be assassins. But I do see a different mindset required in training to learn how to assassinate someone, and traing to learn how to be a warrior. It is the former that just doesn't fit with my view of the way elves think.

rainThu 14-Jul-05 12:15 PM
13 posts
#868, "i dig it"
In response to Reply #6
Edited on Thu 14-Jul-05 12:17 PM

I understand that a pure elf would probably be frowned upon wallowing in the likes of assassins; (and though I have seen very good assassins) I can see what you mean that elves wouldn't stoop so low. But I see the same thing for thieves, then. If we're preventing high elves from becomming assassins then why not prevent them from the greedy life of a thief? And still, I wouldn't shocked by seeing a elven fortress thief, but it would be even less shocking then an elven fortress assassin...

By lack of imm response I take it it has to do with overpowering... swiftstrike plus assassins already high dex... they'd be pretty bad ass... until you got hit with iron

burrrn

HagglerThu 14-Jul-05 12:58 PM
Member since 30th Jun 2005
110 posts
#869, "Don't think that's quite it."
In response to Reply #7

This idea was discussed and dismissed again and again many years before swiftstrike or even inherents were a twinkle in CF's eyes. The way I see it, is look at the backstory. Elves are supposed to be very goodly. So much so, that certain things will corrupt them unquestioningly.

Now think about the backstory of your character. Thief "I learned how to steal so that I could take the edge off of the dark one before he even knew he'd lost it." Warrior "I learned how to defend myself and if need be, make the first strike to protect the goodness around me." Assassin "I killed zounds of people so that I'd be good at killing. Oh, and I know how to kick as well."

One of these things does not belong, and I bet you can tell which. There are solid RP reasons that high elves do not become assassins. Half elves, those of less pure blood and descent, can.

The problem isn't that assassins can't be or do good, it's that they're far from the purity level of a high elf. On the note of elven purity, I've seen a handful converted to neutral and get reamed with the penalties associated for not _acting_ high elven. With the benefits of being a high elf, there is implied pureness responsibility. This conflicts with the concept of assassinations.

Note: The above is all my opinion, but answered this riddle for me years ago.

Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #804 Previous topic | Next topic