Subject: "The Newbie Nightmare Continues: Elm Street Sucks!" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #750
Show all folders

Psektos (inactive user)Tue 26-Apr-05 03:31 PM
Charter member
#759, "The Newbie Nightmare Continues: Elm Street Sucks!"

Hi there! You have done well, your knowledge of the main areas has grown, you have managed to get all your gear slots covered, and you feel like you are the King or Queen of the World! Then it happens... you notice that cute little capital (PK) tag by not only your name but by others.. level eleven.. hmm.. OMG what the !#@@#$, where in !#@#@ did this @$!!@#@#!@ come from!?| Hey they took all my precious stuff!!! ARRGGG.............delete... delete.. WTH?!?! I can not delete... This is NUTS! Okay I will stick it and stand by this nice cityguard... OH FWEEEEEPPPPPPPPPPPPP I was fweeepin naked!!!! CF SUCKS! etc etc.

WHOA there cowboy/cowgirl time to breath and read this list that will move you beyond the next level. So without further ado here it is:

1) First and foremost gear comes and gear goes, deal with it. That nice Sword of Absolute Death that great level 51ist guy just gave you is only going to kill one player: YOU! Don't get upset at your shinies going bye-bye... use the money you have banked and recoup and relearn. By all means use the sword on mobs and enjoy those crazy damage echoes you get!! Just remember you are going to lose it.

2) Cityguards are useless player baits that simply get you killed. You want a relatively safe city to be in? Make sure there is a Tribunal dedicated to that city on and head there. Cities go from great places for newbies to death traps, as do all the major roads, especially the East Road!!!!! A wee bit of cowering helps.

3) The only fairly safe place in Thera at low levels is the Inn of the Eternal star where the guards do assist players. So now you think "Yay the CF staff are not a bunch of savage nutjobs!!" .. WRONG.. that place is a deathtrap, one way in therefore one way out = a line to kill you outside for that Sword of Absolute Vodka.. I mean Death. It is a great place to wait to get a party and to just yack for a bit BUT it is not a hiding place.

4) Okay the veteran players are probably not going to like this, heck the Imms may not as well, but here it goes: get at least ONE of each of the following potions and keep them OUTSIDE of a container in your inventory: Recall(/Return/Homesick) and Teleportation. Even if blind you can see the potions in your inventory and use them.

5) Spam-O-Rama-Ding-Dong-DOH okay an explanation is needed for this so here: for each command you enter and is sent to CF it stacks in a cue that does them in order of received. So those twenty flees you just entered to get away and quaff won't be resolved until your fifty trips have been resolved first. There is no way to clear out previous commands, there should be in my opinion because newbies ALWAYS spam, so you have to start finding the rythm of the game. If you are unsure if a command has been done then don't send another one for a couple of combat rounds, and yes this is Easy to say but hard to do. Trust me, learn to do it, and you will be happy.

6) Finally Elm Street does suck when you are all alone, Freddy has his eye on you and therefore you are toast. Wait minute, you want to avoid getting Freddied, get a group. That is right, get a group, work with a party, you learn more, and you have protection. Also never be shy on asking where the heck you are going and for the leader to slow the heck down. Most people will understand immediately you are a newbie and hopefully NOT take your group to the death trap that is the Past.

Cheers and good luck to you too! If you are feeling bad about money or gear lost I will just say that I have recently lost over thirty gold in ready coin and twice that much in potions and gear purchased.

PS Detect invisibility and flight potions may be useful too.. think about it!

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicNewbie Guide to the Insanity. [View all] , Psektos (inactive user), Wed 20-Apr-05 02:05 PM
Reply The Newbie Nightmare Continues: Elm Street Sucks!, Psektos (Anonymous), 26-Apr-05 03:31 PM #7
Reply I just about cried when I had 100 gold sac'ed by Outlan..., Gourvae, 05-May-05 04:06 PM, #10
Reply I agree with all but this., Vandir, 21-Apr-05 06:26 PM, #2
Reply I don't know, incognito, 21-Apr-05 06:34 PM, #3
Reply The easy stuff:, Valguarnera, 21-Apr-05 07:40 PM, #4
Reply Here is a helpful hint: Merchandise! (And buy maps.), Psektos (Anonymous), 23-Apr-05 03:24 AM, #5
     Reply Woow., shamanman, 23-Apr-05 06:05 PM, #6
     Reply RE: Here is a helpful hint: Merchandise! (And buy maps...., Sandello, 01-May-05 03:05 AM, #8
Reply Damn good post, incognito, 20-Apr-05 02:17 PM, #1
     Reply From the newbie point of view, Tan, 02-May-05 07:51 PM, #9
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #750 Previous topic | Next topic