Subject: "RE: about cabals" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #576
Show all folders

AmarantheFri 14-Jan-05 02:47 PM
Member since 17th Mar 2003
536 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#579, "RE: about cabals"

As an observing imm, I generally like to see a mortal make some kind of effort to retrieve. That doesn't necessarily mean launching themselves into a suicidal situation, but perhaps an attempt to recruit allies, just popping over to assess the situation, or whatever. Sure there are times when a retrieval isn't really a realistic option. When this happens, occasionally I will even see mortals think out loud (via emotes) or say something over cabal channel to the cabal NPCs about their thought process, which while not entirely necessary, I think is a really nice touch to RP rather than just shrugging your shoulders as you return to killing lesser trolls for experience, or whatever. And as an observing imm, I really like to see that, because otherwise it lets me know the mortal is giving it some thought, as opposed to just ignoring. i.e. Sure, perhaps *I* can see it would be suicide to retrieve, but is the mortal not acting because of that, or just because they are a dunce who doesn't care? I'm not going to reprimmand anyone who doesn't retrieve in that case, but a little roleplayed effort can go a long way to show me at least it's on someone's mind.

I have occasionally gotten on the case of, often new-player mortals, who make no effort to retrieve when there is no resistance whatsoever. Often it is because they presume they are too low level to retrieve, but when nudged a little by a voice on the wind or whatnot, they give it a try and are pleasantly surprised that they are capable of retrieving after all. So I would say if you just lack the ability to assess your capability to retrieve without any hard knowledge, at least give it a try and see. You may be surprised, or at least learn something.

And of course, as it has been said, individual character roles come into play as well. Some characters will be more bold or reckless, while others may be more selfish and cowardly. But also keep in mind, in either case there may be consequences. There's nothing wrong with being selfish and cowardly Imperial for example, but also keep in mind you have an Emperor that may also decide to flail you to the Nine Hells for being a coward, too. Having a legitimate role never excuses you from negative IC consequences. That doesn't make you a bad roleplayer to RP that way, just have your character remember consequence too.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Topicabout cabals [View all] , john, Fri 31-Dec-04 06:18 PM
Reply RE: about cabals, Amaranthe, 14-Jan-05 02:47 PM #3
Reply I'd say give it the old college try., Enbuergo, 11-Jan-05 04:27 PM, #2
Reply on the other side of the coin, incognito, 01-Jan-05 08:09 PM, #1
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #576 Previous topic | Next topic