Subject: "Hang in there" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #4004
Show all folders

highbutterflyMon 11-Feb-13 07:16 AM
Member since 24th Aug 2011
364 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4014, "Hang in there"

Hmm this post sounded familiar.
Check out this link, in which I had the same experience and asked the same questions: it has a lot of good advice on it, some of it at greater length from the same people:

http://forums.carrionfields.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=5&topic_id=944&mesg_id=944&page=

Basically, this is a very typical experience on the invoker learning curve. It will happen, but there's plenty of light at the end of the tunnel, as long as you find your sleek wands or else know alternate sources (having played a hero level shifter, this part you're probably ready for).

Everything Daeveryn said, x 5.

Now, here's the weird part:
My experience with later invokers is that people rush you too fast to group/level. After a bit, I hated being constantly asked for leveling.
This will happen as soon as nova or another skill that targets elemental vulns in popular ranking areas makes you a desirable blaster for a tank. In fact, this is going to be another annoyance, because you often won't be given time to practice the spells you need to practice -- people will just demand that you nova over and over, long after you've got it mastered. So, ironically, be careful of being leveled too fast Levelsitting is often really good.

Some ideas overlooked or re-emphasized:
Kill the guys who won't group with you. If you try to be friends with everyone, you won't be having any fun at all, even if you do put a lot of effort into being an interestingly RPed character.

Consider being good aligned, if you want to level up quickly. No goodie is left behind! Not to mention, request gives you options to identify gear.

Consider joining a cabal for allies and support (of course, you have to commit to the cause and deal with their enemies also). Don't do Scion if you're still figuring out your build or having problems with standard PvP or PvE.

One ally from Nexus, Fort, Outlander, Trib, will bump you up very quickly.

Use preps liberally, healers liberally, and try to make a lot of gold.
Use mercs. It's possible to do a reasonable job leveling up in the protected cities while solo except for mercs (as long as there are two or three magistrates around).

Fundamentally, though, the game will never be fun if the mindset is avoiding death from pk instead of looking for targets that fit your "good victim" profile

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicReally trying to make a mage work [View all] , Discouraged (Anonymous), Sat 09-Feb-13 09:43 PM
Reply Hang in there, highbutterfly, 11-Feb-13 07:16 AM #5
Reply RE: Really trying to make a mage work, Daevryn, 09-Feb-13 10:41 PM, #2
Reply I agree with literally every word of this post., TMNS, 09-Feb-13 10:55 PM, #3
Reply Okay, I appreciate the advice, Discouraged (Anonymous), 11-Feb-13 07:11 AM, #4
     Reply Join a newbie friendly, active cabal, Rayihn, 11-Feb-13 08:51 AM, #6
     Reply Muter, incognito, 11-Feb-13 12:11 PM, #7
     Reply RE: Okay, I appreciate the advice, Daevryn, 11-Feb-13 07:18 PM, #8
     Reply I agree with this, Kamuela_, 12-Feb-13 12:46 AM, #9
          Reply I soloed an invoker to 25 without difficulties., TMNS, 12-Feb-13 04:41 PM, #11
     Reply I played a reviled transmuter that had 50 PKs before du..., TMNS, 12-Feb-13 04:39 PM, #10
Reply RE: Really trying to make a mage work, been there (Anonymous), 09-Feb-13 10:01 PM, #1
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #4004 Previous topic | Next topic