Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #394
Show all folders

incognitoTue 06-Apr-04 04:31 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#397, "a sensible post"

OK. Basically the secret to rp is to flesh out your character in your mind. e.g. what kind of person are they? What background do they have?

It doesn't have to be a background that fits cf, really. You can come from an imaginary elven village that isn't actually in cf.

Once you know what sort of "person" you are, and your past experiences, you have an idea of how you'd react to certain things. The secret to rp is really just to act as your character would. For example, if you really want to uphold law and order, because you have been the victim of crime in the past, would you go around killing cityguards? No. However, if you really want to uphold law and order, because you want the power that comes with it, you might well be willing to kill guards in a city that doesn't give you any benefits.

I don't like the multi-charring thing at all. There is no reason you can't approach a higher level character, explain you are looking to learn from them (don't mention rp or being a newb). Most will then take an interest in you and "take you under their wing" so to speak. In doing so, you'll probably get to learn a bit from them.

However, the golden rule is "act as your character would". RP is not about elaborate emotes that aren't consistent with the world (e.g. emotes that force other people to do things). RP isn't about always talking in the same voice (unless that is consistent with how your character really would talk in all circumstances). It's just about acting how your character would act.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicRole playing help [View all] , Laghail, Tue 06-Apr-04 01:10 AM
Reply If I might add..., Bajula, 10-Apr-04 12:57 PM, #8
Reply Comprehensive RP Help (LONG), Zefarah, 09-Apr-04 09:13 PM, #6
Reply This is an excellent post. Stickied! (n/t), Valguarnera, 09-Apr-04 10:10 PM, #7
Reply Great post, that., nepenthe, 10-Apr-04 10:05 PM, #9
Reply Yay, someone mentioned one of my favorite char developm..., Meladori, 10-Apr-04 10:24 PM, #10
Reply RE: Role playing help, Straklaw, 06-Apr-04 05:39 AM, #4
Reply a sensible post, incognito, 06-Apr-04 04:31 AM #3
Reply RE: Role playing help, Romanul, 06-Apr-04 03:30 AM, #2
Reply My tips., Cerunnir, 06-Apr-04 02:04 AM, #1
     Reply RE: My tips., Laghail, 08-Apr-04 12:23 PM, #5
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #394 Previous topic | Next topic