Subject: "Yes, and ditto morals." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #1923
Show all folders

ValguarneraWed 19-Sep-07 06:38 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
6904 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1925, "Yes, and ditto morals."

I generally argue that a large fraction of evil characters shouldn't consider themselves evil.

If I'm the Emperor, maybe I'm conquering the ignorant heathens because I think they don't know what's good for them, and the only way they're going to learn is at the point of a sword. I'm just trying to lift them out of their misery.

If I'm an evil Outlander, maybe I just don't see a line between humans and animals-- they're all animals to me, and I wantonly murder humans to protect my territory or establish myself as someone to be feared rather than enslaved. Maybe I unconsciously project my worldview onto others and assume that if I don't try to murder them, they'll surely try to murder me.

In any event, I don't think most characters should be more aware of their ethos than modern people are. If you're a habitual felon, you probably know that the rule of law doesn't mean much to you, but you don't introduce yourself to people as "I'm Bob, the Chaotic." It usually sounds awkward in 'live' conversation, compared to something like "Travel with Joe Tribunal? I've had too many run-ins with his kind. All their 'system' ever did was screw me over..."

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicSelf-awareness [View all] , Lyeden, Wed 19-Sep-07 11:22 AM
Reply Yes, and ditto morals., Valguarnera, 19-Sep-07 06:38 PM #2
Reply Almost all my Imperials are like this..., Twist, 19-Sep-07 08:33 PM, #4
Reply RE: Almost all my Imperials are like this..., Lyeden, 19-Sep-07 09:12 PM, #5
Reply RE: Yes, and ditto morals., Isildur, 23-Sep-07 03:49 PM, #6
     Reply Agreed (txt), Twist, 23-Sep-07 08:50 PM, #7
Reply RE: Self-awareness, Daevryn, 19-Sep-07 05:12 PM, #1
     Reply RE: Self-awareness, Lyeden, 19-Sep-07 06:45 PM, #3
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #1923 Previous topic | Next topic