Subject: "Self-awareness" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #1923
Show all folders

LyedenWed 19-Sep-07 11:22 AM
Member since 05th Aug 2007
49 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1923, "Self-awareness"

Is it reasonably viable that a character might not be particularly aware of their ethos, a la spheres?

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Yes, and ditto morals., Valguarnera, 19-Sep-07 06:38 PM, #2
Reply Almost all my Imperials are like this..., Twist, 19-Sep-07 08:33 PM, #4
Reply RE: Almost all my Imperials are like this..., Lyeden, 19-Sep-07 09:12 PM, #5
Reply RE: Yes, and ditto morals., Isildur, 23-Sep-07 03:49 PM, #6
     Reply Agreed (txt), Twist, 23-Sep-07 08:50 PM, #7
Reply RE: Self-awareness, Daevryn, 19-Sep-07 05:12 PM, #1
     Reply RE: Self-awareness, Lyeden, 19-Sep-07 06:45 PM, #3

ValguarneraWed 19-Sep-07 06:38 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
6904 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1925, "Yes, and ditto morals."
In response to Reply #0

I generally argue that a large fraction of evil characters shouldn't consider themselves evil.

If I'm the Emperor, maybe I'm conquering the ignorant heathens because I think they don't know what's good for them, and the only way they're going to learn is at the point of a sword. I'm just trying to lift them out of their misery.

If I'm an evil Outlander, maybe I just don't see a line between humans and animals-- they're all animals to me, and I wantonly murder humans to protect my territory or establish myself as someone to be feared rather than enslaved. Maybe I unconsciously project my worldview onto others and assume that if I don't try to murder them, they'll surely try to murder me.

In any event, I don't think most characters should be more aware of their ethos than modern people are. If you're a habitual felon, you probably know that the rule of law doesn't mean much to you, but you don't introduce yourself to people as "I'm Bob, the Chaotic." It usually sounds awkward in 'live' conversation, compared to something like "Travel with Joe Tribunal? I've had too many run-ins with his kind. All their 'system' ever did was screw me over..."

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

TwistWed 19-Sep-07 08:33 PM
Member since 23rd Sep 2006
3431 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1927, "Almost all my Imperials are like this..."
In response to Reply #2

Hunsobo was evil as all hell. He liked slavery - got him some fine slavegirl action whenever he wanted it. He was greedy with coinage - gained him prestige in the Imperial ranks and made him more powerful since he could buy more preppage. He was greedy with shinies too...if you had something better than what he had, he was likely to take it. He simply wasn't aware of those as "evil" traits. They were just normal.

As for the Empire, he truly believed it was the "right" thing to do. Order in all the lands was good for everyone, he figured (and hey, if it was really, REALLY good for him, so much the better). The "darkness" part was simply practicality - no way are you truly ever going to have Order if you aren't a harsh bastard about it. Don't kick enough people in the junk, and they'll start muttering about you behind your back, and pretty soon they are doing more than muttering.

LyedenWed 19-Sep-07 09:12 PM
49 posts
#1928, "RE: Almost all my Imperials are like this..."
In response to Reply #4

...Yeah, yeah, he does sound pretty evil. I kinda figured no one goes around thinking about how evil they are (especially the empires as they say, "We're building a better world" with shining eyes, heh heh). Ethos was a bit more blurry, at least when you're not in an ethos-aligned cabal and it isn't determined for you, but you three have clarified it nicely.

IsildurSun 23-Sep-07 03:49 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
5969 posts
#1939, "RE: Yes, and ditto morals."
In response to Reply #2

>I generally argue that a large fraction of evil characters
>shouldn't consider themselves evil.

They should, however, recognize that there's a difference between the way they operate and, say, your typical Fortress guy. There are things they're willing to do that the Fort guy isn't.

And they should probably be aware of the fact that the majority of the rest of Thera views them as being "evil", even if they don't think the term is being accurately applied.

TwistSun 23-Sep-07 08:50 PM
Member since 23rd Sep 2006
3431 posts
#1941, "Agreed (txt)"
In response to Reply #6

Hunsobo had several conversations with folks about how they just didn't understand that the occasional rape or other heinous act, along with general oppression and "keeping the people down" was necessary to facilitate Order. He realized that society in general viewed these sorts of things as evil. He'd debate back and forth for a fairly long while with some folks.

And then he'd decide "dem guys stupid." and go smash them.

DaevrynWed 19-Sep-07 05:12 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
#1924, "RE: Self-awareness"
In response to Reply #0

Sure, assuming they don't have some kind of alignment/ethos detection as part of their class skills, and assuming there isn't an ethos inherent in their race. It'd make sense to me that, for example, that most wood-elves would know, more or less, that compared to other peoples they weren't Orderly.

LyedenWed 19-Sep-07 06:43 PM
49 posts
#1926, "RE: Self-awareness"
In response to Reply #1
Edited on Wed 19-Sep-07 06:45 PM

>Sure, assuming they don't have some kind of alignment/ethos
>detection as part of their class skills, and assuming there

If one has such a skill, but never turned it inward (or thought to?)?

On that note...Out of curiosity, would the same apply to alignment, assuming the same conditions (No detection, not racially inherent) and they aren't actively working to further one side?

Edit: Just saw Valg's post, I think that covers it. Thank you both.

Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #1923 Previous topic | Next topic