Subject: "if you have to ask, you'll never know." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #2429
Show all folders

AodhWed 03-Jun-09 10:47 AM
Member since 06th Jan 2005
352 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2433, "if you have to ask, you'll never know."

slang does not equal saying things identically to the way you would on dioxide's.

If you made a character that used current MTV/T-Pain "slang", do you see how it would not fit into CF? You could call the nightgaunt a "faceless gnome-pincher" or a "nightstealer" or a "crepuscular person-nabber". That is slang. "Don't <del>tase</del> gaunt me, bro!" just doesn't fit in CF. Does that make any sense?

>'You lucky son of a bithc.'

"son of a bitch" is a worn-out irl phrase. Make a creative insult, or just say "Lucky." and smirk. The typo is the cherry on top.

>'I'd love to nail gzur'

This sounds more like a drunk frat boy with beer goggles on at the local ####ty dance floor/meat market. You could try saying something like... "I'd love to feed (type out enemy's entire name) to a Challegha." or "(Enemy) should beware the night, and the dark things in it." (SINCE YOU'RE GOING TO TRY TO GAUNT HIM TO THE TOP OF MOUDRILAR'S CABIN LOLOLOL)

Can you see the difference at all?

>'A goddamn nexun conjurer gaunted me.'

I'm guessing you would say this, verbatim, to someone on your AIM. JUST LIKE NEP SAID. GEE, WEIRD. You could instead say "That Nexun fool dared to send a Nightgaunt after me. AFTER ME!" You can be a bit theatrical. You can roleplay your character's emotions: perhaps in this scenario an evil conjurer would be surprised and angry that a neutral conjurer would try to use his own tools against him.

>'where's your aura wand?'

"Where did you find that amber rod? I'm researching places where wards of magical protection come to rest... and be found by enterprising magi."
>
>'have my ####'

"Take my things. They won't save you when demons tear your flesh in bleeding strips and devil's jaws crunch your bones to splinters."

I'm really not sure why I bothered wasting time typing this out, since the OP is a (possibly unconscious) troll. I don't think you are able to "become" another character than your powergaming self.

(irrelevant tangent: I believe the term "powergaming" is thrown around far too often here and on qhcf.net: in a cutthroat pk environment like ours, not min-maxing your character to some degree is, at best, a conscious roleplaying decision to accept a handicap, sliding quickly toward ignorant and, at worst, stubbornly unrealistic. The type of character who would say these examples Daevryn quoted of this dude, in my mind, exemplefies the powergamer that is not immersed in the atmosphere at all)

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

HOT TopicAssistance with roleplaying... [View all] , Turing, Wed 03-Jun-09 09:45 AM
Reply RE: Assistance with roleplaying..., Valkenar, 09-Jun-09 09:06 AM, #26
Reply RE: Assistance with roleplaying..., Neltouda, 03-Jun-09 02:02 PM, #5
Reply RE: Assistance with roleplaying..., Amberion, 03-Jun-09 10:06 AM, #1
     Reply RE: Assistance with roleplaying..., Turing, 03-Jun-09 10:12 AM, #2
          Reply Nothing seems any worse than the echos quoting movies, SuperIsisMan, 03-Jun-09 10:46 AM, #3
          Reply That one made me laugh. Plus, it's just a gecho. Theref..., Java, 03-Jun-09 04:41 PM, #7
          Reply if you have to ask, you'll never know., Aodh, 03-Jun-09 10:47 AM #4
          Reply If you're attacked by a Hippopotamus, did you get Hippo..., Java, 03-Jun-09 04:39 PM, #6
          Reply If you get hit with a nuclear weapon do you get nuclear..., Turing, 03-Jun-09 04:44 PM, #8
               Reply Nope., Java, 03-Jun-09 04:47 PM, #9
                    Reply Verbification, Turing, 03-Jun-09 05:21 PM, #10
                    Reply Except a Nightgaunt isn't a hammer., Java, 03-Jun-09 05:30 PM, #11
                    Reply And regarding shoelaces.., Java, 03-Jun-09 05:31 PM, #12
                    Reply RE: Except a Nightgaunt isn't a hammer., Turing, 06-Jun-09 07:13 PM, #24
                         Reply From an IC perspective, it does., Java, 06-Jun-09 07:20 PM, #25
                    Reply RE: Verbification, Neltouda, 03-Jun-09 07:13 PM, #13
                    Reply Josiah 101, Theerkla, 03-Jun-09 07:20 PM, #14
                    Reply Hehe.. I thought this guy sounded familiar., Java, 03-Jun-09 07:21 PM, #15
                    Reply RE: Verbification, Turing, 03-Jun-09 08:30 PM, #17
                         Reply ...... what?!?~, Aodh, 03-Jun-09 08:50 PM, #18
                              Reply Why I hate roleplaying., Turing, 04-Jun-09 10:25 AM, #20
                                   Reply Okay, Aodh, 04-Jun-09 11:12 AM, #21
                                   Reply RE: Okay, Turing, 04-Jun-09 05:36 PM, #23
                                   Reply Well.. tough. This is a roleplaying game., Java, 04-Jun-09 03:29 PM, #22
                                   Reply Here is what I got out of this whole thread: I'm going..., Hopelessdwarf, 19-Jun-09 02:11 PM, #28
                    Reply RE: Verbification, Daevryn, 03-Jun-09 08:12 PM, #16
                    Reply I heard Java got Hampstered! nt, Stunna, 16-Jun-09 12:38 PM, #27
                         Reply Or Hamped ... n/t, Hopelessdwarf, 19-Jun-09 02:13 PM, #29
          Reply RE: Assistance with roleplaying..., DurNominator, 04-Jun-09 02:47 AM, #19
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #2429 Previous topic | Next topic