Subject: "RE: Assistance with roleplaying..." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #2429
Show all folders

NeltoudaWed 03-Jun-09 02:02 PM
Member since 28th Jul 2008
161 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2434, "RE: Assistance with roleplaying..."

While I'm not going to go through a run down of how to make those specific phrases sound more like role playing, I will go over a few things that I do when I make a character regarding communication.

First, I do not make a character without at least a one chapter role. Even if this role is for a "throw away" character that I only made to explore the oceans, I still have a one chapter role. I make a role with each and every one, not for extra imm xp, but because even with a "throw away" character I will interact with other characters in the MUD. I need to know how my character is going to interact with them, because I can't interact with them as the player behind it.

When I write a role, I always include phrases my character is going to say or maybe think about if it is going to have an accent. A lot of these relate to the general mood of my character. Maybe I'm upbeat so I greet people by saying "Hello there!" or maybe I'm sort of depressive so I greet people by saying "End yourself now, before the curse takes you as well." I also think about my class. For example if I'm going to be playing a shapeshifter, am I going to have a special name for my class or special names for certain skills? Maybe I call myself a shape changer or a form master, whatever. If I'm going to be playing a conjurer, maybe I call my nightgaunts my winged beasts of darkness. I could go on and on, but I highly doubt you're going to be having an OOC conversation and say, "The conjurer sent a damnable winged beast of darkness after me!".

Along with the special names, it's good to think about what your character is going to call common things. For example, if you're playing a class that relies on mana, what are you going to say when you run out of mana? A lot of people say "my mind is tired", but there's plenty of unique things that you can say about it. Maybe you're a mage and you say something like, "The magic wanes within me, we must rest for a time." What are you going to say when you're looking for a group? Telling someone, "Hey want to group with me", just doesn't do it. You don't have to think about everything, but maybe you can have a general mental list of phrases you like to use for common things in the game. The more you practice using roleplaying appropriate phrases the easier it is to recall and mondify them for each of your characters. PK isn't the only thing in CF that can take some practice.

When generating a character, I also think about stuff like special emotes. You can easily make aliases so that you laugh a certain way or sit, stand and sleep a certain way that sets you apart. They're quick and easy and you never have to type them again. It's a nice way to communicate with others while roleplaying.

I would also like to add that capitalization and punctuation really make good roleplayers stand out from the rest a lot of the time.

I hope this helps you and other budding roleplayers, good luck.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

HOT TopicAssistance with roleplaying... [View all] , Turing, Wed 03-Jun-09 09:45 AM
Reply RE: Assistance with roleplaying..., Valkenar, 09-Jun-09 09:06 AM, #26
Reply RE: Assistance with roleplaying..., Neltouda, 03-Jun-09 02:02 PM #5
Reply RE: Assistance with roleplaying..., Amberion, 03-Jun-09 10:06 AM, #1
     Reply RE: Assistance with roleplaying..., Turing, 03-Jun-09 10:12 AM, #2
          Reply Nothing seems any worse than the echos quoting movies, SuperIsisMan, 03-Jun-09 10:46 AM, #3
          Reply That one made me laugh. Plus, it's just a gecho. Theref..., Java, 03-Jun-09 04:41 PM, #7
          Reply if you have to ask, you'll never know., Aodh, 03-Jun-09 10:47 AM, #4
          Reply If you're attacked by a Hippopotamus, did you get Hippo..., Java, 03-Jun-09 04:39 PM, #6
          Reply If you get hit with a nuclear weapon do you get nuclear..., Turing, 03-Jun-09 04:44 PM, #8
               Reply Nope., Java, 03-Jun-09 04:47 PM, #9
                    Reply Verbification, Turing, 03-Jun-09 05:21 PM, #10
                    Reply Except a Nightgaunt isn't a hammer., Java, 03-Jun-09 05:30 PM, #11
                    Reply And regarding shoelaces.., Java, 03-Jun-09 05:31 PM, #12
                    Reply RE: Except a Nightgaunt isn't a hammer., Turing, 06-Jun-09 07:13 PM, #24
                         Reply From an IC perspective, it does., Java, 06-Jun-09 07:20 PM, #25
                    Reply RE: Verbification, Neltouda, 03-Jun-09 07:13 PM, #13
                    Reply Josiah 101, Theerkla, 03-Jun-09 07:20 PM, #14
                    Reply Hehe.. I thought this guy sounded familiar., Java, 03-Jun-09 07:21 PM, #15
                    Reply RE: Verbification, Turing, 03-Jun-09 08:30 PM, #17
                         Reply ...... what?!?~, Aodh, 03-Jun-09 08:50 PM, #18
                              Reply Why I hate roleplaying., Turing, 04-Jun-09 10:25 AM, #20
                                   Reply Okay, Aodh, 04-Jun-09 11:12 AM, #21
                                   Reply RE: Okay, Turing, 04-Jun-09 05:36 PM, #23
                                   Reply Well.. tough. This is a roleplaying game., Java, 04-Jun-09 03:29 PM, #22
                                   Reply Here is what I got out of this whole thread: I'm going..., Hopelessdwarf, 19-Jun-09 02:11 PM, #28
                    Reply RE: Verbification, Daevryn, 03-Jun-09 08:12 PM, #16
                    Reply I heard Java got Hampstered! nt, Stunna, 16-Jun-09 12:38 PM, #27
                         Reply Or Hamped ... n/t, Hopelessdwarf, 19-Jun-09 02:13 PM, #29
          Reply RE: Assistance with roleplaying..., DurNominator, 04-Jun-09 02:47 AM, #19
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #2429 Previous topic | Next topic