Subject: "RE: newbie rant" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #171
Show all folders

IsildurSun 06-Jul-03 09:57 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
5969 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#178, "RE: newbie rant"

You describe two main problems. The first is dying too much. The second is not being able to regear as a low-ranked character. Some thoughts on each-

Dying-

Death happens when you get into a fight and lose. So two ways to avoid dying are to not get into fights or to just win them all. The first is much easier than the second, but (at low ranks) usually requires that you play a race/class combo that can see both hidden and invis. As far as I'm concerned it's not feasible for low-ranking characters to generate enough cash to keep "detect invis" up at all times. I'm guessing that's inentional on the part of the staff.

Some ways to not getting into fights you don't want to get into: keep detects up all the time, keep aware of your surroundings (i.e. throw in a "whe" fairly often) and keep means of escape on hand (i.e. return *and* teleport potions). If you don't have a return and teleport on you then your first priority should be to amass enough money to buy one.

Regearing-

A little social engineering goes a long way. Try to think of people whose role-play demands that they help you out. Paladins, goodies, etc. I'd advise you to roll a good-aligned character that is "sought after" as far as ranking. An arial assassin would work. Make him good or neutral. As you start ranking make a *point* of noticing what other fighter-type characters are wearing. If a piece of gear is foreign to you, ask them what it does. Does it help them hit harder? More accurately? Does it make them stronger? More agile? Etc. If you don't know where it comes from (what mob, area, etc.) ask the person. Once you get over rank 15 you'll be able to see your hit/dam roll values, allowing you to tell when a piece of gear alters one of those values.

As far as 5th to 15th rank gear goes you can pretty much suit up using only a small handful of areas. Aldevari, Feanwyn Weald, The Lumberyard, Tabershaw's Keep, Velkyn Oloth, Eryn Galen, Keep of the Righteous, etc.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Topicnewbie rant [View all] , mortis, Thu 03-Jul-03 09:24 AM
Reply galadon law SUCKS, mortis, 15-Jul-03 05:18 PM, #8
Reply RE: galadon law SUCKS, incognito, 15-Jul-03 05:31 PM, #9
Reply RE: newbie rant, Isildur, 06-Jul-03 09:57 PM #7
Reply Equipping yourself at a low level., Valguarnera, 03-Jul-03 01:13 PM, #3
Reply damn good advice, and some more, incognito, 03-Jul-03 04:25 PM, #4
Reply RE: Equipping yourself at a low level., Ululari, 04-Jul-03 10:45 AM, #5
     Reply This happens all the time on the newbie channel:, Valguarnera, 04-Jul-03 02:15 PM, #6
Reply RE: newbie rant, Circuits Edge (Anonymous), 03-Jul-03 10:36 AM, #2
Reply RE: newbie rant, Quislet, 03-Jul-03 10:16 AM, #1
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #171 Previous topic | Next topic