Subject: "Or its cousin:" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #1281
Show all folders

ValguarneraTue 16-May-06 08:00 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
6904 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1288, "Or its cousin:"

The reasons for it are several and left as an exercise to the reader. That's a damn funny parody of scientific literature. I can't remember how many time I've seen that in Physics books or lecture notes.

Or its less instructive cousin: "... the reasons for which should be intuitively obvious to the reader." I had a professor who would use that during lecture, and just stare down anyone who dared raise their hand and claim otherwise. (He liked to move fast, and actually doing intermediate steps in derivations hindered that, so he just proclaimed them all not worth doing explicitly.)

As for "left as an exercise", I think it's often the better answer in terms of 'growing' better players, but it's often an unpopular answer, and I could see why people would avoid it, especially if they're busy.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicEvasion [View all] , Liston, Mon 15-May-06 05:39 AM
Reply RE: Evasion, nepenthe, 15-May-06 06:29 AM, #1
     Reply RE: Evasion, Liston, 16-May-06 04:17 AM, #2
          Reply Hehe, Dwoggurd, 16-May-06 05:20 AM, #3
               Reply I'll one-up this., Haggler, 16-May-06 08:56 AM, #4
                    Reply Aahhahhahah! That's hilarious., DurNominator, 16-May-06 09:20 AM, #5
                         Reply Or its cousin:, Valguarnera, 16-May-06 08:00 PM #6
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #1281 Previous topic | Next topic