Go back to previous topic
Forum Name New Player Q&A
Topic subjectEvasion
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=1281
1281, Evasion
Posted by Liston on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I've just one quick question: Why would you use Evasion instead of Feint (in which you would probably have a much higher skill)?
Or is there some hidden bonus to using evasion?

That's actually two questions...
1282, RE: Evasion
Posted by nepenthe on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
1) Given equal skill, evasion has a much higher success rate.
2) Evasion has advantages against multiple opponents that feint doesn't.
1283, RE: Evasion
Posted by Liston on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Thanks!
1284, Hehe
Posted by Dwoggurd on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Luckly for you Nepenthe has changed. :)
Years ago he used to answer this question in a following way:
"There is something about evasion that makes it somewhat more useful than feint ( but you are to lazy to figure it on your own! )"
1285, I'll one-up this.
Posted by Haggler on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Even his roles were this way.

"The choice made, Istendil tortured and eventually killed his own
mother and father. The exact method of their demise is unimportant.
The reasons for it are several and left as an exercise to the reader."

There are things about evason that could make it more appropriate to use than feint, in some circumstances. I know how I would use it, but I will leave this as an exercise for the reader.

I love that ####.
1286, Aahhahhahah! That's hilarious.
Posted by DurNominator on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
The reasons for it are several and left as an exercise to the reader.

That's a damn funny parody of scientific literature. I can't remember how many time I've seen that in Physics books or lecture notes.
1288, Or its cousin:
Posted by Valguarnera on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
The reasons for it are several and left as an exercise to the reader. That's a damn funny parody of scientific literature. I can't remember how many time I've seen that in Physics books or lecture notes.

Or its less instructive cousin: "... the reasons for which should be intuitively obvious to the reader." I had a professor who would use that during lecture, and just stare down anyone who dared raise their hand and claim otherwise. (He liked to move fast, and actually doing intermediate steps in derivations hindered that, so he just proclaimed them all not worth doing explicitly.)

As for "left as an exercise", I think it's often the better answer in terms of 'growing' better players, but it's often an unpopular answer, and I could see why people would avoid it, especially if they're busy.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com