Subject: "RE: (DEL) Martinian the Honest Warrior, Lonesome Exile" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #8640
Show all folders

Martinian (Guest)Mon 19-Aug-02 08:09 PM

#8642, "RE: (DEL) Martinian the Honest Warrior, Lonesome Exile"

Pretty much nothing went right from day one with this character but I kept steaming on, kept playing him, mostly because it's not so easy to hero a storm warrior rager and get your skills up and all that. But let me explain.

I wanted a rager trabryn follower. I was neutral good, since you can't be lawful as a rager. Trabryn then tells me I can't be a tattooed follower because I'm not orderly enough. Then they change the system and it's not "lawful" ethos but "orderly". I asked them to switch it so I could be what I'd always intended, and played, etc., but never really heard back. So, that went wrong.

Then, legacies. Both of mine were screwed up. Balance of the sisters was very buggy. It wouldn't let me dual wield weapons of less than or equal weight, if they weren't the same weapon. Which, of course, defeats the purpose of the legacy. So I had to find really light flails and really heavy maces to dual wield them.

Flow of Shadows. I didn't even know it could avoid spells until I saw it on the logboard today. It never did that for me, whether I had spellbane up or not. And it went off about five times total in pk's. Total. It pretty much never worked, and my bringing it up on the bug board is what got the helpfile changed to reflect that.

So, a legacy that doesn't work for you and one that is broken for most of your time with it. (It got changed this past weekend, for the most part. Still a bit buggy though.)

So no religion as wanted, neither legacy working as predicted (though when I could wield mace and flail, it was great. A super combo and very good concept by you imms. I'm not getting down on you all here, the legacies are the whole reason these days to make warriors. I just wish I'd been able to work as intended, or switch from flow to something else. I'd have never chosen Flow if the helpfile said then what it says now, of ocurse) and then the recent problem with Huraz and all that.

Martinian's role, which I will post below, was such that he always had to be better than everyone else, because he was born a runt. Always had to work harder, do better, all that, just to keep up. And, he wasn't your usual storm giant in that he was betrayed by his people - in his eyes, though they wouldn't call it that - and so he felt no ties to them at all. He did what he thought was right, and helped people, but was not goodie goodie as some thought he should be just because of his race. He was never evil and he always was upset when a good aligned mob had to die for the cause, but he wasn't about to go helping little goodies just for the fun of it, either.

As for why delete now, Martinian wasn't going to change his attitude (he didn't think he should have to, being a villager isn't about love or being liked, it's about doing duty and respect and trusting you can fight when needed, which I always believed he did) and so either he would be exile forever, or he would change and break his role and get reinducted. Neither seemed fun. And in the end it's a game and if it's not fun, don't play.

Anyway, I'll post more about him later, there's a bunch to say but I'm not in the mood right now. Just a few quick shout outs.

Bryvac and Barponrye - we did a lot of practicing. As we got older I thought worse and worse of Barponrye as a character, seemed very newbie-ish, though I now know he isn't, but always liked him as a person. Bryvac on the other hand I didn't like so much at the start but by the end liked and respected tremendously.

Valarath - I couldnt believe you were still a villager every time I logged on. I hope it's in your role to do really absurd things, or say really wacky things. Yes or no, though, you were always fun to have around. Knew something unexpected was going to happen.

Huraz - I think you're a fine leader, contrary to what many probably think. The two issues at the end, suicide and victory, are things I think should be addressed. I think suicide, given the right circumstances, is perfectly valid. Come on, entire warrior cultures (Japanese, for instance) have grown and included suicide and honor and being a fine warrior. It is even more appropriate in a world where such suicide isn't even permanent! It should never be done lightly, or without real understanding, but it shouldn't just be a blanket rule either. I can think of several situations where it would be preferable to suicide, ghost, unghost rather than wait to die and prolong it all. Anyway you are a good leader and I have a lot of respect for you, the end notwithstanding.

Yror - You're the only one who really surprised me. Our last conversation was disturbing. And I think you were desperate to come up with a real justification and finally latched onto the morale thing. Whatever. Aside from that I liked that you went with an unusual race/class/weapon/villager path combo and you did it pretty well. We had fun on the mountain levelling. And the battle I posted on the logboard was really great fun.

Birota - you impressed me. Constantly.

Owagwyn - you also impressed me, though I had a hard time getting a real grasp of your role or who you were trying to be. Could be I just didn't talk to you enough.

I'm sure I'm forgetting people. Sorry. I'll post again later or tomorrow or something.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Topic(DEL) Martinian the Honest Warrior, Lonesome Exile [View all] , Death_Angel, Mon 19-Aug-02 07:52 PM
Reply RE: (DEL) Martinian the Honest Warrior, Lonesome Exile, Owagwyn (Guest), 19-Aug-02 10:48 PM, #3
Reply RE: (DEL) Martinian the Honest Warrior, Lonesome Exile, Martinian (Guest), 19-Aug-02 08:09 PM #1
     Reply My role (sorry about all the role+'s), Martinian (Guest), 19-Aug-02 08:12 PM, #2
     Reply So does this mean you were a midget? N/T, Someone (Guest), 21-Aug-02 01:06 AM, #9
     Reply RE: My role (sorry about all the role+'s), Ol ranger (Guest), 23-Aug-02 01:38 AM, #12
          Reply RE: My role (sorry about all the role+'s), Me (Guest), 25-Aug-02 12:27 PM, #13
     Reply RE: (DEL) Martinian the Honest Warrior, Lonesome Exile, Intronan, 20-Aug-02 06:26 AM, #4
     Reply RE: (DEL) Martinian the Honest Warrior, Lonesome Exile, Finduthilas (Guest), 20-Aug-02 07:23 AM, #5
     Reply RE: (DEL) Martinian the Honest Warrior, Lonesome Exile, Jelraak (Guest), 20-Aug-02 12:22 PM, #6
     Reply RE: (DEL) Martinian the Honest Warrior, Lonesome Exile, Zulghinlour, 20-Aug-02 12:59 PM, #7
     Reply Goodbye then, Jareiah (Guest), 20-Aug-02 07:35 PM, #8
     Reply RE: (DEL) Martinian the Honest Warrior, Lonesome Exile, Bryvac, 21-Aug-02 12:06 PM, #10
          Reply RE: (DEL) Martinian the Honest Warrior, Lonesome Exile, Martinian (Guest), 21-Aug-02 07:06 PM, #11
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #8640 Previous topic | Next topic