Subject: "RE: Without going into specifics" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #50755
Show all folders

_Magus_ (Guest)Sun 10-Sep-06 04:19 PM

#50765, "RE: Without going into specifics"

Yes. People with roles that dictate them to be assholes, are in fact, assholes. There's people who defend the idea that they aren't assholes. But don't be fooled. The people who defend that ideal are assholes themselves. Brush it off your shoulders.

I don't know. I manage to run into a fair amount of one on one fights. But there are A LOT of reasons why people wouldn't want to fight one on one. And I think to most people, those reasons outweigh the reasons not to. I'll attempt to describe a few of these reasons.

Con's of fighting one vs. one:

* One on one fights tend to lead to less deaths, for either person. Most people see winning as a PK ratio. Personally, I think the Imms should do away with the PK ratio stat on the PBF. A long time ago, there used to be a webpage that showed who was the top PK'er for each tier of levels, at intervals of 10. They got rid of it because it tended to lead people to be assholes more often than not. I don't know why the hell they decided to bring it back. I guess everyone has their price. And in this case, it's a lousy $5.

* Cabal wars. What is involved in a cabal war? Cabal items and cabal members. Let's try to keep it simple. The more cabal members, the more likely they will take an enemy cabal's item, which also usually means less cabaled enemies. So when you log on and don't have your cabal item, generally you're going to be facing two or more people (generally more than two). Not very good odds. But hopefully you'll have someone who decided to stick around, despite not having a cabal item. But often, that isn't the case. And there is a huge "hold down the fort" mentallity amongst cabals. Meaning that people stick around their cabal when they're holding an enemy cabal's item so they can get a piece of the action. Or on the flip side, you'll get assholes who just want to gangbang the hell out of the lone retriever. But that isn't the standard, fortunately. Most people that the attitude of "holding the cabal item longer is good". We're winning. And that attitude doesn't really translate into "screw this retriever/s over as hard as possible". So just another reason why there are less one on one fights. Simply because it's situational.

* Excluding hero level, generally, people will be traveling in groups anyways. It is much easier to gather gear, get levels, stay alive, etc. when you have numbers. Occasionally, not always, you'll get a group of two or three that goes out with the intent to hunt down enemies. And being on the receiving end of that can probably sour someone. Again, the key here is that there is survivability, in most cases, when you have numbers. That also doesn't translate into "screw over the enemies as much/often as possible". Because generally, they're doing something else. And by happenstance, someone comes across their path, and that person gets chewed up and spit out. Also another reason why one on one fights are lessened. To avoid this one, you can simply keep up your detect invis, or whatever else, and use the where command as often as you can. Depending on the matchup, I generally don't take on groups of three or more. Occasionally you can though. But expect the worst of evils when you do. Despite populate belief, I doubt the Immortals will look down on someone walking away from a 1 vs 3 situation.

* Usually, when a person is alone, they are in a crowded place that provides some safety. Cities, cabals, the Inn, guilds, etc. This can make it difficult even getting to the person to fight them. And that is usually because that person isn't looking for a fight in the first place. I tend to see this more often when I am a mage, and a berserker dwarf is trying to call me out. Thanks, but no thanks. A lot of people just walk away, as opposed to risking their lives.

* The person is new, and is trying to learn PK. I know I didn't learn this by going out and risking my tail all the time. I did it by going around with others, watching what they do, and also reading logs. If you're new, then gathering gear isn't as easy either. Which gives them even more reason not to fly solo. And let's face it, there is always going to be less experienced people playing CF. It isn't all veterans.

Just a few reasons why people don't/wouldn't fight one on one.

Some pro's to fighting one on one:

* Generally, the one who is more prepared will "win" the fight, either by making the person run or killing them. There is a big personal reward here, in that the more time you spend practicing skills/spells, you'll benefit more from it. Also, include prep gathering time into that. There's is a big personal reward for effectively using the preps you gathered for X amount of time when you defeat/kill someone.

* You won't lose your gear as often. Mostly because there is a "respect" factor here. Sure it isn't spoken of much, but it's there. Plus, if the person does intend to loot you, they are only one person, and can only take so much before they are weighed down or can't carry anymore. You'll see this a lot during "duels".

* It's a one on one fight. You vs. Them. It's a true test of who the more crafty person is. The winner can usually pride themselves on a job well done. This can be very satisfying.

I'm sure people can add more to the list. But you get the idea. Carrion Fields doesn't really revolve around one on one fights. If you get a one on one fight, that is usually a treat, and not the norm. It takes a bit of planning, ingenuity, knowledge etc. to learn how to fight two or more people. And not everyone can effectively do so. But it is possible. There are scores of logs to prove it. I know this turned into a long post, and probably isn't that helpful. Every time I hear or read about something getting upset with the PK aspect of CF, my advice is this: Try something that focuses on roleplay. Be a character that people want to bring along with them. Learn where people go to get preparations, and how they equip themselves. I sucked for the longest time, until I played a healer and transmuter.

Warrior's tend to be a choice class for a lot of people. They can defend themselves. They have good offense. Their specializations and legacies offer them a lot of diversity. But a warrior can only do so much on their own. As a matter of fact, a lot of classes have their limitations. And you have to realize and understand these class limitations before you can truly excel.

Maybe when you began to play CF, there were more one on one fights for your character, which really only happened to be luck. CF revolves around interaction. And that means people will always have allies. And they will always have enemies. Treat one on one fights for what they are; the exception and not the rule.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Topic(last drop delete) Takrin the Battle-Scarred [View all] , Takrin (Guest), Sun 10-Sep-06 01:08 PM
Reply Damnit man!, Alavir (Guest), 10-Sep-06 11:49 PM, #10
Reply It's amazing how a simple hi can prevent an ambush, Takrin (Guest), 11-Sep-06 05:15 AM, #17
Reply That was fast, Callie (Guest), 10-Sep-06 03:45 PM, #5
Reply RE: That was fast, Takrin (Guest), 11-Sep-06 01:58 AM, #16
Reply RE: (last drop delete) Takrin the Battle-Scarred, _Magus_ (Guest), 10-Sep-06 03:19 PM, #3
Reply Without going into specifics, Takrin (Guest), 10-Sep-06 03:38 PM, #4
     Reply So basically it sounds like, eternal_elf, 10-Sep-06 03:45 PM, #6
     Reply Yes and no I guess, Takrin (Guest), 11-Sep-06 12:42 AM, #12
     Reply But..., nepenthe, 10-Sep-06 04:09 PM, #7
     Reply RE: But..., Bajula, 10-Sep-06 11:58 PM, #11
     Reply RE: Without going into specifics, _Magus_ (Guest), 10-Sep-06 04:19 PM #8
Reply RE: (last drop delete) Takrin the Battle-Scarred, Isildur, 10-Sep-06 02:56 PM, #1
     Reply Really can't, the log would still be too obvious nt, Takrin (Guest), 10-Sep-06 03:05 PM, #2
          Reply RE: Really can't, the log would still be too obvious nt, Isildur, 10-Sep-06 10:45 PM, #9
               Reply Okay, I'll try be as vague as I can, Takrin (Guest), 11-Sep-06 12:59 AM, #13
                    Reply Curiousity: How much time have you spent playing Tribs..., nepenthe, 11-Sep-06 01:06 AM, #14
                    Reply RE: Curiousity: How much time have you spent playing T..., Takrin (Guest), 11-Sep-06 01:54 AM, #15
                         Reply RE: Curiousity: How much time have you spent playing T..., JMC, 11-Sep-06 10:48 AM, #18
                    Reply RE: Okay, I'll try be as vague as I can, Isildur, 11-Sep-06 11:12 AM, #19
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #50755 Previous topic | Next topic