Subject: "(last drop delete) Takrin the Battle-Scarred" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #50755
Show all folders

Takrin (Guest)Sun 10-Sep-06 01:08 PM

#50755, "(last drop delete) Takrin the Battle-Scarred"

Everytime I come back to see why I love this game so much, someone reminds me of why I hate it so much. Being your assholish self won't get you new players. I'm curious to see how much fun you're still going to have when there's only like five of you playing.

Thanks go to the people who do make this game fun. For Takrin specifically Callie and Eilrenya come to mind.

Anyone else I traveled, fought, had fun with, thanks. Leave a reply if you like and I'll respond.

Takrin, signing off

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Damnit man!, Alavir (Guest), 10-Sep-06 11:49 PM, #10
Reply It's amazing how a simple hi can prevent an ambush, Takrin (Guest), 11-Sep-06 05:15 AM, #17
Reply That was fast, Callie (Guest), 10-Sep-06 03:45 PM, #5
Reply RE: That was fast, Takrin (Guest), 11-Sep-06 01:58 AM, #16
Reply RE: (last drop delete) Takrin the Battle-Scarred, _Magus_ (Guest), 10-Sep-06 03:19 PM, #3
Reply Without going into specifics, Takrin (Guest), 10-Sep-06 03:38 PM, #4
     Reply So basically it sounds like, eternal_elf, 10-Sep-06 03:45 PM, #6
     Reply Yes and no I guess, Takrin (Guest), 11-Sep-06 12:42 AM, #12
     Reply But..., nepenthe, 10-Sep-06 04:09 PM, #7
     Reply RE: But..., Bajula, 10-Sep-06 11:58 PM, #11
     Reply RE: Without going into specifics, _Magus_ (Guest), 10-Sep-06 04:19 PM, #8
Reply RE: (last drop delete) Takrin the Battle-Scarred, Isildur, 10-Sep-06 02:56 PM, #1
     Reply Really can't, the log would still be too obvious nt, Takrin (Guest), 10-Sep-06 03:05 PM, #2
          Reply RE: Really can't, the log would still be too obvious nt, Isildur, 10-Sep-06 10:45 PM, #9
               Reply Okay, I'll try be as vague as I can, Takrin (Guest), 11-Sep-06 12:59 AM, #13
                    Reply Curiousity: How much time have you spent playing Tribs..., nepenthe, 11-Sep-06 01:06 AM, #14
                    Reply RE: Curiousity: How much time have you spent playing T..., Takrin (Guest), 11-Sep-06 01:54 AM, #15
                         Reply RE: Curiousity: How much time have you spent playing T..., JMC, 11-Sep-06 10:48 AM, #18
                    Reply RE: Okay, I'll try be as vague as I can, Isildur, 11-Sep-06 11:12 AM, #19

Alavir (Guest)Sun 10-Sep-06 11:49 PM

#50771, "Damnit man!"
In response to Reply #0

You deleted before I had a chance to fight you again. I should never have come out of the woods that time, still getting to grips with the class.

Some people on this game are ruthless and generally bad sports, whatever happened don't let it sour your experience. You seemed successful pk-wise from logs posted. Just remember, there are always people out there like you solo pking or trying toand just wanting to enjoy things without taking them over-seriously.

I digress.

Take Care and (hopefully) good luck with the next.

Takrin (Guest)Mon 11-Sep-06 05:15 AM

#50779, "It's amazing how a simple hi can prevent an ambush"
In response to Reply #10

Which was ofcourse what I didn't want to happen.

I hadn't noticed my moves were drained as much as they were, so I was like 'Huh? Where did my moves go? Oh .. right, entangle'

That was a fight that if I had bad luck, could have gone either way. Lucky for me it went exactly my way Fun fight.

> Some people on this game are ruthless and generally bad sports, whatever happened don't let it sour your experience. You seemed successful pk-wise from logs posted. Just remember, there are always people out there like you solo pking or trying toand just wanting to enjoy things without taking them over-seriously.

Yeah, I rather 'quit while I'm ahead' and indeed not let the experience get sour for anyone, or play the blame game. That serves no one in the end.

I guess the itch will be back at some time (always has) and then I'm full of ideas again of what to try. Maybe until then!

Callie (Guest)Sun 10-Sep-06 03:45 PM

#50762, "That was fast"
In response to Reply #0

Had some fun things planned for us. Then you go and die. Argh. Anyhow, you were cool. I liked our travels.

Takrin (Guest)Mon 11-Sep-06 01:58 AM

#50777, "RE: That was fast"
In response to Reply #5

Competent friends are nice to have, especially as evils.

You have a cool thing going. Good luck.

_Magus_ (Guest)Sun 10-Sep-06 03:19 PM

#50760, "RE: (last drop delete) Takrin the Battle-Scarred"
In response to Reply #0

Generally, I consider myself one of the non-assholish players, just because I'm suave like that. I see threads all the time about people getting completely and utterly pissed off/disgusted/sad/mad/etc. etc., and I sit there and think to myself, what the hell could have been so bad to make this person so emotional? We (the majority the CF community) often invest a lot of time, patience, personality, soul and whatnot to make our characters strong and elaborate, so that we may try and reap benefits of all sorts, to include but not limited to: Immortal interaction, player to player interaction, PVP, more game knowledge, quests, etc. Carrion Fields is capable of a lot of diversity, and that is mostly because of the unique crowd in which this game draws. You have everyone on the spectrum. Assholes, roleplayers, pkillers, mixes of everything, nice people, newbies, etc. I find that most people get upset over the PK aspect of Carrion Fields. PK is why I personally play, and to throw in a decent mix of RP to reap some benefits (i.e. cabals, immteraction, meeting other players, etc.). I have no clue what happened to you, and what your whole situation is that has you so emotional. But I find the players who have more elaborate roles and focus on the roleplaying more, while still remaining PK oriented, are often less affected by PK. Meaning this: when they lose, they can fall back on their role, the people they've met, more interaction with immortals, and really focus on a part of CF that you can't find anywhere else: Roleplay. Period. And then they climb their way back up to where they were. Because let's face it, what comes around goes around. And that is something I have learned about CF. And it is definitely true.

So you should at least brief us about what happened. If you do not talk about it, then how are we supposed to help you (given that you want advice or help). It's painful to see people leave CF upset. That is definitely not a good thing.

Takrin (Guest)Sun 10-Sep-06 03:38 PM

#50761, "Without going into specifics"
In response to Reply #3

reasons for me to leave:

- People hiding behind role. Yes, it's rp if your role allows you to be an asshole. Yes that still means you're an asshole.

- One vs one fights are rare. They're generally the best, but they're rarely seen. Either people hide within spire towns or behind gangs.

I just can't be bothered to care anymore

PS: good post

eternal_elfSun 10-Sep-06 03:45 PM
Member since 25th Feb 2005
59 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#50763, "So basically it sounds like"
In response to Reply #4

Somebody stuck to their role and used a tool in their arsenal to turn combat to their advantage. You lost, and now you're sore about it.

Is that about right?

Not meant to be a flame, but thats what it sounds like to me.

Takrin (Guest)Mon 11-Sep-06 12:42 AM

#50773, "Yes and no I guess"
In response to Reply #6

I don't mind losing when I'm soundly beaten. I can regear quickly, and I killed way more than I was killed, that's not the problem.

I just found the way it was done utterly disrespectful towards me as a player. Particularly seeing how brutal it was executed without me ever provocing such treatment.

I made sure I always fought in fair circumstances (except for one 2 vs 1 which did not allow to fight alone) and then to, totally out of the blue, get total crap for it in return, that leaves me bitter.

In the end the conclusion is simple: I really can't be bothered to care anymore.

nepentheSun 10-Sep-06 04:09 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
3430 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#50764, "But..."
In response to Reply #4

You killed more than you died, and all of your deaths were solo.

At first blush, it seems like you were unhappy that you weren't winning by enough.

BajulaSun 10-Sep-06 11:58 PM
929 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#50772, "RE: But..."
In response to Reply #7

Seriously listen to nep. I was spam killing an orc of mine in frustration at how easily I died, and thrak comes out (because I had been assaulting his shaman ... alot. and sort of lets me know I killed as much as I died. It put a whole new perspective on things. (I did end up deleting him later but rolled another character later)

In any case the characters I had the most fun with were Dimion and Nimelerion anyone here who knew them knew exactly how badly they got ass raped and full looted. My most "successful" pk'ing character to date would have to be feichin where I got to feeling bad about killing half the people I did. (and the other half I was astonished at how quickly they killed ME!)

I started out with a 100% pure rp character and ended up with pretty much pkers. I took a few months off and now I couldn't pk dimion!
hehe. Anyway that's not what the deal is. Just roll with the knocks and you'll come out fine. Try a different angle on things and do a pure RP character.. maybe something that you know is totally unable to survive. Like someone who never under any circumstances retreats, and attacks all his enemies on sight (include mobs that kill you in 1 round in this.) and just have a blast. Then go back to a more normal style of play and you'll feel like you are Mr. sooperwhoopass.

anyway there's my 2 cents. You can MAKE the game fun for you even with what you feel are assholes around you.

_Magus_ (Guest)Sun 10-Sep-06 04:19 PM

#50765, "RE: Without going into specifics"
In response to Reply #4

Yes. People with roles that dictate them to be assholes, are in fact, assholes. There's people who defend the idea that they aren't assholes. But don't be fooled. The people who defend that ideal are assholes themselves. Brush it off your shoulders.

I don't know. I manage to run into a fair amount of one on one fights. But there are A LOT of reasons why people wouldn't want to fight one on one. And I think to most people, those reasons outweigh the reasons not to. I'll attempt to describe a few of these reasons.

Con's of fighting one vs. one:

* One on one fights tend to lead to less deaths, for either person. Most people see winning as a PK ratio. Personally, I think the Imms should do away with the PK ratio stat on the PBF. A long time ago, there used to be a webpage that showed who was the top PK'er for each tier of levels, at intervals of 10. They got rid of it because it tended to lead people to be assholes more often than not. I don't know why the hell they decided to bring it back. I guess everyone has their price. And in this case, it's a lousy $5.

* Cabal wars. What is involved in a cabal war? Cabal items and cabal members. Let's try to keep it simple. The more cabal members, the more likely they will take an enemy cabal's item, which also usually means less cabaled enemies. So when you log on and don't have your cabal item, generally you're going to be facing two or more people (generally more than two). Not very good odds. But hopefully you'll have someone who decided to stick around, despite not having a cabal item. But often, that isn't the case. And there is a huge "hold down the fort" mentallity amongst cabals. Meaning that people stick around their cabal when they're holding an enemy cabal's item so they can get a piece of the action. Or on the flip side, you'll get assholes who just want to gangbang the hell out of the lone retriever. But that isn't the standard, fortunately. Most people that the attitude of "holding the cabal item longer is good". We're winning. And that attitude doesn't really translate into "screw this retriever/s over as hard as possible". So just another reason why there are less one on one fights. Simply because it's situational.

* Excluding hero level, generally, people will be traveling in groups anyways. It is much easier to gather gear, get levels, stay alive, etc. when you have numbers. Occasionally, not always, you'll get a group of two or three that goes out with the intent to hunt down enemies. And being on the receiving end of that can probably sour someone. Again, the key here is that there is survivability, in most cases, when you have numbers. That also doesn't translate into "screw over the enemies as much/often as possible". Because generally, they're doing something else. And by happenstance, someone comes across their path, and that person gets chewed up and spit out. Also another reason why one on one fights are lessened. To avoid this one, you can simply keep up your detect invis, or whatever else, and use the where command as often as you can. Depending on the matchup, I generally don't take on groups of three or more. Occasionally you can though. But expect the worst of evils when you do. Despite populate belief, I doubt the Immortals will look down on someone walking away from a 1 vs 3 situation.

* Usually, when a person is alone, they are in a crowded place that provides some safety. Cities, cabals, the Inn, guilds, etc. This can make it difficult even getting to the person to fight them. And that is usually because that person isn't looking for a fight in the first place. I tend to see this more often when I am a mage, and a berserker dwarf is trying to call me out. Thanks, but no thanks. A lot of people just walk away, as opposed to risking their lives.

* The person is new, and is trying to learn PK. I know I didn't learn this by going out and risking my tail all the time. I did it by going around with others, watching what they do, and also reading logs. If you're new, then gathering gear isn't as easy either. Which gives them even more reason not to fly solo. And let's face it, there is always going to be less experienced people playing CF. It isn't all veterans.

Just a few reasons why people don't/wouldn't fight one on one.

Some pro's to fighting one on one:

* Generally, the one who is more prepared will "win" the fight, either by making the person run or killing them. There is a big personal reward here, in that the more time you spend practicing skills/spells, you'll benefit more from it. Also, include prep gathering time into that. There's is a big personal reward for effectively using the preps you gathered for X amount of time when you defeat/kill someone.

* You won't lose your gear as often. Mostly because there is a "respect" factor here. Sure it isn't spoken of much, but it's there. Plus, if the person does intend to loot you, they are only one person, and can only take so much before they are weighed down or can't carry anymore. You'll see this a lot during "duels".

* It's a one on one fight. You vs. Them. It's a true test of who the more crafty person is. The winner can usually pride themselves on a job well done. This can be very satisfying.

I'm sure people can add more to the list. But you get the idea. Carrion Fields doesn't really revolve around one on one fights. If you get a one on one fight, that is usually a treat, and not the norm. It takes a bit of planning, ingenuity, knowledge etc. to learn how to fight two or more people. And not everyone can effectively do so. But it is possible. There are scores of logs to prove it. I know this turned into a long post, and probably isn't that helpful. Every time I hear or read about something getting upset with the PK aspect of CF, my advice is this: Try something that focuses on roleplay. Be a character that people want to bring along with them. Learn where people go to get preparations, and how they equip themselves. I sucked for the longest time, until I played a healer and transmuter.

Warrior's tend to be a choice class for a lot of people. They can defend themselves. They have good offense. Their specializations and legacies offer them a lot of diversity. But a warrior can only do so much on their own. As a matter of fact, a lot of classes have their limitations. And you have to realize and understand these class limitations before you can truly excel.

Maybe when you began to play CF, there were more one on one fights for your character, which really only happened to be luck. CF revolves around interaction. And that means people will always have allies. And they will always have enemies. Treat one on one fights for what they are; the exception and not the rule.

IsildurSun 10-Sep-06 02:56 PM
5969 posts
#50757, "RE: (last drop delete) Takrin the Battle-Scarred"
In response to Reply #0

Why don't you explain what happened, omitting names if necessary.

Takrin (Guest)Sun 10-Sep-06 03:05 PM

#50759, "Really can't, the log would still be too obvious nt"
In response to Reply #1

nt

IsildurSun 10-Sep-06 10:45 PM
5969 posts
#50770, "RE: Really can't, the log would still be too obvious nt"
In response to Reply #2

I didn't say post a log, I said explain what happened. Like, "some guys asked me to group then betrayed me and sac'd all my gear." Just as an example.

Takrin (Guest)Mon 11-Sep-06 12:59 AM

#50774, "Okay, I'll try be as vague as I can"
In response to Reply #9

There was this shifter I attacked at some point, who I found out of form. He took it badly and started about how he'd kill me in form without me even touching him. So I say, okay, come fight me than. He never did.

Than we're talking with a goodie trib. Using ventriloquate on me, the trib got tricked (or wished to get me anyway). Result, instead of 2200 away from lvl 38 I need to get 16000. I lost all my gear, the thief who took it never got wanted although the tribunal couldn't have missed him taking it.

For the character in question, to decide to make me wanted solely based on witnesses (if he even asked them) who I'd killed before (no wonder they testify against me) is just bad.

And when I try clear things out, his respons pretty much was: bite me.

After that it got worse.

It's just the last drop, seriously.

nepentheMon 11-Sep-06 01:06 AM
3430 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#50775, "Curiousity: How much time have you spent playing Tribs..."
In response to Reply #13

I don't think most people would give you a very polite response to the extremely disrespectful (if possibly IC) note you wrote to Tribs.

Berating people and calling them names is your prerogative, but you shouldn't be surprised when they don't subsequently give you what you want or bend over backwards to please you. You caught a bad break, but some percentage of the responsibility for that is yours.

I know it's fun to break the law and get away with it; in this case, you did the crime but didn't get away with it. Those are the dice you roll and the risks you take. If you were innocent, I'd genuinely feel bad for you... as is, you gambled, and I'd like to think you knew what you were getting into.

I'm really surprised, honestly. You clearly have been around the CF block a time or two. I assume all of the players that have been around that long have taken 50 worse or more unfair breaks than this and it pretty much rolls off their back.

Takrin (Guest)Mon 11-Sep-06 01:54 AM

#50776, "RE: Curiousity: How much time have you spent playing T..."
In response to Reply #14

I have. I even got kicked out once for flagging the right people (long story) and now someone get's away with flagging the wrong person.

> I don't think most people would give you a very polite response to the extremely disrespectful (if possibly IC) note you wrote to Tribs
The note was a response to the way he responded to me. I try clear things out and I get a 'bite me'. For someone I've never even met or did anything to, I find this harsh.

> in this case, you did the crime but didn't get away with it.
That depends on how you look at it. Yes, I did strike the guy in town (when there wasn't any trib to see). For the particular trib in question to not act upon evidence, but rather rely on 'witnesses' on whim, just strikes me as poor taste.

> I'm really surprised, honestly. You clearly have been around the CF block a time or two. I assume all of the players that have been around that long have taken 50 worse or more unfair breaks than this and it pretty much rolls off their back.

But enough is enough. The problem with CF is that it pretty much only gives highs and lows, nothing in between. The highs no longer are worth the lows for me.

I'm not looking for an argument or trying to bad mouth someone. Let's just leave it at this.

JMCMon 11-Sep-06 10:48 AM
Member since 04th Aug 2006
13 posts
Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#50785, "RE: Curiousity: How much time have you spent playing T..."
In response to Reply #15

Unfortunately, most tribunals do say 'bite me' because they have to make a decision, whether you believe it's fair or not. I remember one incident where this tribunal was conducting an investigation on a crime in Hamsah. Of course I did commit the crime, but he couldn't have known (his only proof was that the corpse looked like I killed the victim). Come pass 45 minutes and I quit. Next thing I know I log on and the trib posts a note saying that I am to be found guilty and flagged because I quit out.

Lame since he obviously used OOC reasons for IC purposes.

In any case, stuff happens. Just move on. I could've easily made a fuss about it but I just proceeded to kill a few tribs than die myself.

IsildurMon 11-Sep-06 11:12 AM
5969 posts
#50786, "RE: Okay, I'll try be as vague as I can"
In response to Reply #13

So you got screwed by a dirty trib. It's not like that's never happened before. And from what you've said, it sounds like you put yourself in position to get screwed (i.e. in a position where your enemy could trick - or give an excuse to - the trib). Yeah, it sucks when that happens, but...you're not alone in suffering due to dirty or incompetant tribs.

Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #50755 Previous topic | Next topic