Subject: "RE: (DELETED) [BATTLE] Hrejial the Master of Bronze" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #24670
Show all folders

Hrejial (Guest)Tue 17-Feb-04 08:06 PM

#24686, "RE: (DELETED) [BATTLE] Hrejial the Master of Bronze"

Mostly just wasn't as fun as I'd hoped. Couple comments on minotaurs:

Gore goes off relatively often in fights vs. npcs, it never went off with a lag on a pc. As the inherent benefit of the class I think it's a bit weak. Especially considering all you give up. Effectively losing two wear slots (there are very, very few things to get), not being able to set a wimpy and, most important, the speech problems. People don't realize some of the little things you take for granted that you lose when you can't speak right. I couldn't get into places like Mortorn, couldn't do a bunch of quests, and of course, couldn't be understood by a lot of people. Also, hp gains were very weird. For fully half my levels I got 13 at levelling. That's as a warrior with 21 con. 13. That was much lower than my elf or arial or other warriors who had lower con. And the regen rate was very slow. Much slower than my elf or arial or other warriors who had lower con. I'm not sure how bull heritage is the reason for that (I asked a wizi imm at one point who intimated that was the case). A bull seems a veritable paradigm of health and vitality, to me. But there you have it.

Converseley, having giant resist with no effective vuln is pretty sweet. Nothing much to exploit on a minotaur, so I never took that nasty vuln damage. I imagine if someone had that mental attack weapon it might have done something, but it never happened. Also, the few bards I fought never tried frightful fiend, but as a mino I always wondered if I would be immune to frightful fiend and nightmare. Those two songs are based on fear and the mino helpfile says they do not feel fear. Guess someone else can discuss that who has more experience. Also getting to dual wield the two handed weapons was good, though I definitely noticed the difference having only 23 str from 24 (my last axe giant was a storm). Couldn't dual wield two of the wicked battleaxes from Aridhol. But no biggie. I think the 23 str is good.

Also good was the wisdom. Getting those atrocious hp gains was somewhat offset by my ability to pump four or five trains into hp. And the %4 skill gains made the low int practice crap somewhat better. I still had to practice hours to get things up, but it wasn't as god awful as it was with the duerg or giant chars. I still think you imms are on the purple crack when you say things will perfect with simple levelling. And there is an important reason to get the 100: when you berserk, all your skill drop ten percent, unless they are at 100. And since berserk is the only way to heal yourself.... Right.

Also, my own pet whine: warriors and other fighting classes take just as much time to perfect things as mages. Indeed, for the most part they take more time because fighter classes are most often played by low int races and mages are played by high int races. When a warrior finally gets it to 100, it should be 100. But it's not. Things like weaponbreaker and pincer and disembowel and all that fail all the time. For once I'd like to see a mage who has perfected word of recall cast it and have it fail. I think there should be some parallelism here. Now, sure, I can see why gamebalance would not allow an axe spec to get to kill everyone with a disembowel at writhing every time. So, my suggestion is not to make warrior skills behave like mage casting. Rather, I say make mage casting work more like warrior skills. Make a mage just fail a perfected spell when they try it sometimes. Even if someone is perfectly taught at something they are mortal and make mistakes. A misspoken word, a hand gesture slightly off, an intonation offkey just a bit. There are a million reasons for it - an involuntary need to cough, a child walks by and bumps the mage, making him mis-gesture, somebody drops a dish behind him and the loud crash distracts the mage, whatever. I think it would make things a bit more fair and make being a warrior with "years" (read: scores or hundreds of hours) of training feel a bit better when they miss that pincer or miss that flurry or miss that whatever which they have 100 in, which they have learned as well as anyone can learn.

As for individuals, I'll respond to any who wish.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Topic(DELETED) [BATTLE] Hrejial the Master of Bronze [View all] , Death_Angel, Mon 16-Feb-04 09:16 PM
Reply RE: (DELETED) [BATTLE] Hrejial the Master of Bronze, Hrejial (Guest), 17-Feb-04 08:06 PM #2
Reply Couldnt reccomend you for one reason..., Rahno (Guest), 17-Feb-04 08:52 PM, #3
Reply I thought he was the best villager I've seen in a LONG ..., Pringung (Guest), 18-Feb-04 01:58 PM, #7
Reply Was my response deleted? Why? n/t, Hrejial (Guest), 18-Feb-04 05:42 PM, #10
Reply RE: Couldnt reccomend you for one reason..., Hrejial (Guest), 18-Feb-04 10:20 PM, #12
Reply I never understood a word you said, Jinroh (Guest), 18-Feb-04 05:24 AM, #4
Reply mino speech and the rest, Baendra (Guest), 18-Feb-04 07:31 AM, #5
Reply RE: (DELETED) [BATTLE] Hrejial the Master of Bronze, Betraal (Guest), 18-Feb-04 10:08 AM, #6
Reply RE: (DELETED) [BATTLE] Hrejial the Master of Bronze, Hrejial (Guest), 19-Feb-04 03:55 PM, #13
     Reply RE: (DELETED) [BATTLE] Hrejial the Master of Bronze, Betraal (Guest), 20-Feb-04 09:55 AM, #15
Reply Well damn, Vronwei (Guest), 18-Feb-04 03:07 PM, #8
Reply about imms and booting, Daurwyn (Guest), 18-Feb-04 06:47 PM, #11
Reply RE: Well damn, Hrejial (Guest), 19-Feb-04 03:56 PM, #14
Reply RE: (DELETED) [BATTLE] Hrejial the Master of Bronze, Vex (Guest), 18-Feb-04 05:28 PM, #9
Reply Bard songs and minotaurs, Mairra (Guest), 21-Feb-04 01:55 PM, #16
Reply hey why?, jarsharlax (Guest), 16-Feb-04 10:26 PM, #1
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #24670 Previous topic | Next topic