Subject: "RE: Armand and other things" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #1586
Show all folders

IlraethFri 20-Jul-01 11:06 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
20 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1599, "RE: Armand and other things"

I would like to address some of the points you raised here.

1. 'The village is not the enemy of the warlocks'

By that statement, you view that the warlocks don't necessarily want to see the villagers dead. But after all the corpses, skins, ponchos and library research of history, surely the warlocks themselves know that the villagers see them as an enemy. The testimony of dead bodies and skin everywhere should be sufficient. 'I am not your enemy' may be true, but 'You are trying to kill all my followers' should certainly be a higher hurdle to jump over.

(Individual warlocks may indeed want to see the villagers burned at the stake, and the ashes scattered, but that is NOT the goal of the warlocks as a whole. The main focus of the cabal is to guide and protect against the use of "evil" magic, with the side goal of protecting the light. Personal feelings aside, that is the main goal of every warlock, and since the village doesn’t use magic, and is not inherently evil, they don’t view the village as being an "enemy")

2. Armand was very good as an RP applicant

From most of my conversations, I can certainly testify that the words 'water' certainly are bound to enter it. I'm surprised why Thror would not see Armand's worship of you as something to be concerned about. There are wars in the heavens, and certainly, some gods favor others, and some just want to kill others, as can be seen in the past heavenly war. I can see Thror going 'Aye Lad, yer be a courageous one and a wily foe o the war, dere' to one of his favourite battle ragers, but I certainly do not see him toasting a mug of ale to Ilraeth, former essence of a Master Immortal, and current patron of a magical wizard cabal. If there is at least a certain level of rivalry, if not hatred in the heavenlies, why wasn't this translated onto earth?

(Thror may dislike Ilraeth for many reasons, (her link to the Masters through her birth, her focus on cold and ice, and her patronship of the warlocks, but this would have little effect on Armand's belief in the path of clarity. Nothing in the Seeker religion is apposed to Thror's religion. As for translating to earth, Thror's dislike for Ilraeth, as I see it, would have little effect on Armand, other then a possible echoing of those feelings on a personal level)

3. Magic is not knowledge. Okay.

(Hmm... Not sure if you got my point on that one or not)

The main difficulty I have is based on a number of assumptions, really.

1. That Gods and Goddesses have characters and personalities. There are stiff gods, generally angry gods, whispering gods, chaotic gods, unpleasant gods, and nice gods. (see Shokai). These personalities and characteristics translate into emotions, and how they view certain mortals. For example, hypothetically, Balgrimnr might favor a knight of zealous honor, over say, a thief with mynawk's. So gods and goddesses have personal favourites, and these translate into tattoos. Out of those who are tattooed, one is chosen to be a high priest or priestess, the mortal representative who bests represents that god or goddess's goals, personality, intersts, characteristics, and who bests draws others to the faith.

(I could be mistaken, but it seems like you’re under the misunderstanding that Armand is THE high priest of the Seeker religion. The religion has (potentially) one high priest for each sphere under which she governs her religion, with Annalena having the one time position as Overall High Priestess of the religion. Armand was chosen for high priest of water because of his efforts in that sphere, and that sphere alone)

2. Coming back to the personalities, and different likings. Bria, for example, being the patron of the Tribunal, would likely exhibit lawful tendencies, and the same for Shokai, Scarabaeus, Thror, etc, all of whom act, speak, behave and prefer different ways. Hence, patrons of certain cabals usually favor those who are part of those cabals, ONE, and also probably agree with the philosophy of that cabal, TWO.

(I agree that gods do (and should) tend to choose more followers from the cabals they oversee, but don’t think for a minute that just because a Rager was accepted as a follower, that this will be a common occurrence. It was and will be, a very rare thing.)

3. I could probably understand if through tremendous roleplay, Armand clinched a tattoo. But a high priest? As a ilraeth, you would be quite aware that Armand while exhibiting some extraordinary characteristics as a rager who worships you, will also be trying to kill the very members to a cabal whom you are the patron for. By giving to Armand, the natural enemy of your patron worshippers/subjects/followers the status of high priest, are you not sending waves (no pun intended) of contradiction down the very length of your followers?

(Not really. Although there is a conflict with the cabal and Armand, there isn’t one with Armand and my followers since Seekers aren’t allowed to draw each others blood)

4. If I follow closely too, Ilraeth and her sister were formed from the essences of a previous Master Immortal. Tied closely to magic, wizardry, sorcery, wouldn't this too be cause for a particular kind of personality, which while not necessarily wanting the blood and death of every villager, be at least repulsed by it?

(Ilraeth and Savraeth were indeed born from the essence of a dying Master Immortal, and they do share her memories, however, this doesn’t mean that they are tied to the beliefs and goals she had. True, each of the twins mirrors a part of her being, that’s only a base from what they grew on. Savraeth took the love of magic and developed from that, Ilraeth took the desire to grow and learn, and developed her own personality and beliefs. Savraeth, would naturally hate Armand for what he does as a Battle Rager, but Ilraeth on the other hand, believes that death comes to all things and it may not be something to praise and glory in, but it is something that’s accepted and learned from.

If, broken down in simple form, WARLOCK = LIGHT + MAGIC
then patron of WARLOCK = IMMORTAL PRESENCE OF LIGHT + MAGIC
High Priest of patron = HIGH PRIEST OF IMMORTAL OF LIGHT + MAGIC

( WARLOCK (CABAL) = MAGIC + LIGHT
IMMORTAL 1 (Ilraeth) = KNOWLEDGE + LIGHT
For the cabal this means she seeks to guide the warlocks in gaining knowledge and using it to further the cause of the light. For her Religion it means she teaches: Learn all you can before you die (in short).
IMMORTAL 2 (Savraeth) = MAGIC + LIGHT = Seeks to guide the warlocks in the mastery and understanding of magic, to further the cause of the light.

WHY I AM GOING INTO THIS

What I'm really trying to get at is the seeming notion that Gods and Goddess are above good, evil and neutral. Carrionfields is a world where the light have gold auras, and the evil have red auras. These auras were given by the gods and goddesses to their faithful to identify the spirit of the mortals. Hence, spirits can be good and evil.

Aren't gods and goddessses essentially 'spirit'? The meaning of the word escapes me here, but I know of the deep belief that and overriding philosophy that the gods and goddesses are beyond good and evil. It's one of the things I don't agree with, because if mortals are a translation, mirror of the divine, and there is good and evil on earth, then there will be good and evil in the heavenlies. Take the angels, archons versus the demons and devils, for example. Take the war between heaven and hell, for example.

Is there even a meaning to saying a phrase 'Shokai is a God of Light, and Scarabaeus a God of Darkness', if there are no differentiations?

(I agree with you to a point about gods not being above good and evil (to a point), but just because one favors a mortal who seems odd and out of place, doesn’t mean that they give up a belief in what’s good and evil. It only means they saw something in that person that others don’t, or that this person represents a factor of the gods beliefs. (in this case, Armand was the best example of the belief in clarity, under the sphere of Water.)

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

HOT Topic(DEL) <MARAN> Bessian the Paladin Hero [View all] , Death_Angel, Mon 16-Jul-01 02:49 PM
Reply RE: (DEL) <MARAN> Bessian the Paladin Hero, Pohanad (Guest), 18-Jul-01 12:16 AM, #13
Reply RE: (DEL) <MARAN> Bessian the Paladin Hero, Braiden (Guest) (Guest), 17-Jul-01 05:06 PM, #8
Reply I will miss you, Serniae Kordeav-Hall (Guest) (Guest), 17-Jul-01 11:59 AM, #7
Reply RE: (DEL) <MARAN> Bessian the Paladin Hero, Kastury (Guest) (Guest), 17-Jul-01 01:56 AM, #5
Reply RE: (DEL) <MARAN> Bessian the Paladin Hero, Bria, 16-Jul-01 09:54 PM, #3
Reply RE: (DEL) <MARAN> Bessian the Paladin Hero, shokai, 16-Jul-01 05:22 PM, #2
Reply RE: (DEL) <MARAN> Bessian the Paladin Hero, Bessian (Guest) (Guest), 16-Jul-01 03:36 PM, #1
     Reply RE: (DEL) <MARAN> Bessian the Paladin Hero, Arvidor (Guest) (Guest), 16-Jul-01 11:19 PM, #4
     Reply RE: (DEL) <MARAN> Bessian the Paladin Hero, Waskes (Guest) (Guest), 17-Jul-01 06:01 AM, #6
     Reply RE: (DEL) <MARAN> Bessian the Paladin Hero, Thevequn (Guest) (Guest), 17-Jul-01 05:56 PM, #9
     Reply RE: (DEL) <MARAN> Bessian the Paladin Hero, Karnavex (Guest) (Guest), 17-Jul-01 07:52 PM, #10
     Reply Armand and such, Ilraeth, 17-Jul-01 09:25 PM, #11
     Reply Hmmm, Kadsuane, 17-Jul-01 10:16 PM, #12
     Reply RE: Armand and other things, Bessian (Guest) (Guest), 18-Jul-01 08:11 AM, #14
          Reply RE: Armand and other things, Kurkamor, 18-Jul-01 10:13 AM, #15
          Reply RE: Armand and other things, TheFirstApostle (Guest), 18-Jul-01 11:15 AM, #17
               Reply adding my two cents, nepenthe, 18-Jul-01 02:40 PM, #18
          Reply RE: Armand and ALOT of other things, Armand Ti'Silind (Guest) (Guest), 18-Jul-01 11:08 AM, #16
          Reply RE: Armand and ALOT of other things, Isildur (Guest) (Guest), 18-Jul-01 03:15 PM, #19
          Reply Responding to Armand, Bessian (Guest) (Guest), 18-Jul-01 07:08 PM, #21
               Reply RE: Responding to Armand, Jhyrbian (Guest) (Guest), 19-Jul-01 01:04 AM, #22
                    Reply RE: Responding to Armand, Graham (Guest) (Guest), 19-Jul-01 01:52 AM, #23
                    Reply RE: Responding to Armand, Bagsharn (Guest) (Guest), 19-Jul-01 10:33 AM, #24
          Reply RE: Armand and other things, Ilraeth, 20-Jul-01 11:06 PM #25
          Reply Transcendence., Gynax (Guest) (Guest), 25-Jul-01 07:16 PM, #27
     Reply RE: (DEL) <MARAN> Bessian the Paladin Hero, Drucyrus (Guest) (Guest), 18-Jul-01 05:49 PM, #20
          Reply Gee I wonder what it could be?, Dark Man (Guest) (Guest), 20-Jul-01 11:17 PM, #26
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #1586 Previous topic | Next topic