Subject: "Some responses" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #3991
Show all folders

ArvamThu 26-Feb-04 08:52 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
218 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3997, "Some responses"

Stat stuff.

Strength: Uh, weapon weight stuff is pretty big. It's huge for any fighting class, and even important for some non-fighting classes that need the weapon to parry. There's a reason gearing for strength is one of the more common things to gear for in the game.

Int: You're wrong on a lot of stuff here.

Wis: I rarely see gnomes with more hps than dwarves or giants. I'm talking natural max here, not geared max. If they couldn't train hp/mana/mv, they'd be screwed.

Con: We want dying to have penalties. Hell, several recent changes have lessened these penalties. Losing con is something thats gonna stay, and how hp gains are calculated is going to stay the same. Less penalty for death means a lot more mindless suicide throw away chars. We don't like that.

Luck: Wow. I mean...wow. You're wrong. Thats all I've got to say.

Giants: You forgot to mention that cloud giants fly. I'd call that major. Wielding two-handed weapons in one-hand is no big deal? Man, I need some of that crack. Do you get a bonus for using a 2-h weapon? No, but it increases your potential choice in weapons by a ton. You can duel-wield that 2-h weapon, whereas a non-giant race couldn't. This is an advantage. Giant resist is crap? There's more physical damage weapons out there than magic, and even some spells and abilities that use physical damage. All giants have at least one elemental resist in addition to giant resist. I'm...baffled. Pissing hours down the drain practicing? Simple solution, don't do that. Or if you absolutely have to have perfect skills, play a high int race. Guess what, there's a reason for all that, and giants aren't going to learn stuff as fast as smart races.

Sword Specs: Flurry is strength based because it's an unrelenting series of attacks. You tear into an opponent with a series of attacks. It's all muscle, no quickness or finesse about it. Riposte is all about finesse and timing. These make sense to me.

Posting a big sheet of magic numbers? Never gonna happen. I don't understand them. I don't want to. I don't want to make this game into one big fat statistics class where it's purely running numbers. While you're busy crunching numbers, a creative player will be finding a neat way to kill you. We want some mystery with the game. We want some stuff unknown. There's a reason for that. Valg made a post that summed up a conversation he had with The Pico that illustrates that perfectly. Damn if I can remember where it's at now, but it's a good read. I don't know all the secret numbers, as I said, nor do I wanna know. I play with things in game, and I get a feel for every ability, and I go by that from my own experience, and I don't spend hundreds of hours testing to figure it out. Do I have numbers to back it up? Nope, but I'm doing just as fine as anyone else.

Am I saying everything is going to stay the same and we feel the system is perfect and aren't going to change it? No. I am saying it isn't as broke as you make it out to be, and that you've blown a lot of issues out of proportion. You do bring up a few interesting ideas, but on the whole, I don't think it's as broke as you think it is.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy

HOT Locked TopicAnnoying game aspects, am I alone ??? (LONG) RANT [View all] , Rutsah, Sat 28-Feb-04 01:18 AM
Reply Zulg's response Part 4, Zulghinlour, 28-Feb-04 01:10 AM, #32
Reply Zulg's response Part 3, Zulghinlour, 28-Feb-04 12:51 AM, #31
Reply Seems way off to me., Jay, 28-Feb-04 12:22 AM, #30
Reply Zulg's response Part 2, Zulghinlour, 27-Feb-04 09:24 PM, #29
Reply Zulg's response Part 1, Zulghinlour, 27-Feb-04 04:21 PM, #22
Reply RE: Zulg's response Part 1, Isildur, 27-Feb-04 05:10 PM, #23
Reply Neat post. nt, Dallevian, 27-Feb-04 05:11 PM, #24
Reply Some things. +two questions I really really would like ..., Nightgaunt_, 27-Feb-04 07:13 PM, #27
Reply Hey Noob., ORB, 27-Feb-04 12:11 AM, #16
Reply Hrm..., zod, 27-Feb-04 06:03 PM, #26
Reply RE: Annoying game aspects, am I alone ??? (LONG) RANT, Valguarnera, 26-Feb-04 11:30 PM, #14
Reply Three questions for you, proudest blade!, Chalupah, 27-Feb-04 12:22 AM, #17
Reply RE: Three questions for you, proudest blade!, Zulghinlour, 27-Feb-04 01:39 AM, #19
Reply RE: Three questions, Valguarnera, 27-Feb-04 01:54 AM, #20
     Reply RE: Three questions, Dindon, 27-Feb-04 05:39 PM, #25
          Reply Who is this? He is my perfect example!, Chalupah, 27-Feb-04 09:11 PM, #28
Reply RE: Annoying game aspects, am I alone ??? (LONG) RANT, Isildur, 27-Feb-04 12:34 AM, #18
Reply my 3 cents, Dwoggurd, 27-Feb-04 07:44 AM, #21
Reply side note on riposite, Bajula, 26-Feb-04 11:03 PM, #12
Reply Don't bother, friend., Chalupah, 26-Feb-04 10:52 PM, #11
Reply Speaking as an avowed non-yes man, I don't really agree..., Vladamir, 26-Feb-04 11:24 PM, #13
     Reply A reply! To pass the time.., Chalupah, 26-Feb-04 11:54 PM, #15
Reply RE: Annoying game aspects, am I alone ??? (LONG) RANT, nepenthe, 26-Feb-04 10:19 PM, #10
Reply I foresee that one day..., Catastrophic, 26-Feb-04 09:44 PM, #9
Reply Some responses, Arvam, 26-Feb-04 08:52 PM #6
Reply firstly...it's dexTerity..., shokai, 26-Feb-04 08:43 PM, #5
Reply Uh dude, after reading your first point which is WRONG ..., Drekten, 26-Feb-04 08:02 PM, #2
Reply Your brains are outstanding, +3 to 9 dam roll, wow. txt, Rutsah, 26-Feb-04 08:11 PM, #3
     Reply Okay, now I did read your whole post., Drekten, 26-Feb-04 09:05 PM, #7
     Reply you are missing a lot, incognito, 26-Feb-04 09:32 PM, #8
Reply RE: Annoying game aspects, am I alone ??? (LONG) RANT, Isildur, 26-Feb-04 07:57 PM, #1
     Reply Yeah lots of stuff in there, sleep on it :) nt, Rutsah, 26-Feb-04 08:14 PM, #4
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #3991 Previous topic | Next topic