Subject: "Speaking as an avowed non-yes man, I don't really agree." This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #3991
Show all folders

VladamirThu 26-Feb-04 11:24 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
1179 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM Click to send message via ICQ
#4004, "Speaking as an avowed non-yes man, I don't really agree."

>The Immortals don't care if you're happy or not.

This much is true, but on the other hand if you weren't happy, then why play? Noone is holding a gun to your head, forcing you to log in.

>Once upon a time, there was a PK/RP mud, where a set of
>immortals decided (wisely) that open crunching of numbers was
>counteractive to a roleplaying atmosphere.

OK, with you so far.

>The mechanics were still simple enough, that a player could
>intuit what factors affected his skills, and could have some
>idea of how a character would fare before rolling it.

Thus eliminating the need to play said character. Why play if you know how it's going to turn out? That's just not my idea of fun.

>Once upon a time, Immortals were Players.

Actually, in the beginning, the imms were imms. They had mortals, but with one or two exceptions, they played as imms. Most if not all of the current immstaff, started out as players, so they have a better grasp of the "common being" (The PC non sex term) mentality. PLaying without a grasp of the numbers behind it all. Many of said imms were recent additions, in the last two or less years, and so have an even fresher memory of being an ignorant "Joe/Jane normal".

>Perhaps the staff that has inherited this mud has forgotten
>why they do not discuss code or numbers, regardless - you are
>not the first to be frustrated by it, and by the looks of
>things you will not be the last!

I pretty much agree, knowing how it all works just takes away from the fun of trying new thinsg and being pleasantly surprised.

>Testing things for yourself is futile. As the staff is quick
>to point out, they spend their time improving the mud,
>continuously updating code and implementing new features.

Thus you will never run out of new things to try.

>Thera is now a subtle beast, full of so many complexities and
>calculations, that you will perhaps never know why a thing
>works the way it does.

I'm just content to know it works at all. I don't need to take apart my 52 inch screen TV and 6.1 surround sound home theater system, and map out it's parts, just to be able to throw Braveheart in and enjoy me some Gibson-kicking-the-english-ass action.

>Those who know the code will be quick to point out when you
>are wrong, and their loyal army of yes-men will be quick to
>flame. Rest your fingers, preserve your reputation, and
>quietly play the game. Enjoy the sense of wonder that comes
>from winning a fight.

Frankly, I have a few things that I enjoy, that NOT many people know how to do. I like it this way. If everything was common knowledge, then it wouldn't be special. How did I find these things out? Trial and error.

>Long for the skill/spell just out of reach! Despair when it
>does not improve your character!

Because your character isn't just a list of skills and spells. It's a character and only has as much life and personality as you give it.

>But do not complain, friend.

Well, to be honest what good does it do? You either like the game, or you don't. If not, then don't play.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy

HOT Locked TopicAnnoying game aspects, am I alone ??? (LONG) RANT [View all] , Rutsah, Sat 28-Feb-04 01:18 AM
Reply Zulg's response Part 4, Zulghinlour, 28-Feb-04 01:10 AM, #32
Reply Zulg's response Part 3, Zulghinlour, 28-Feb-04 12:51 AM, #31
Reply Seems way off to me., Jay, 28-Feb-04 12:22 AM, #30
Reply Zulg's response Part 2, Zulghinlour, 27-Feb-04 09:24 PM, #29
Reply Zulg's response Part 1, Zulghinlour, 27-Feb-04 04:21 PM, #22
Reply RE: Zulg's response Part 1, Isildur, 27-Feb-04 05:10 PM, #23
Reply Neat post. nt, Dallevian, 27-Feb-04 05:11 PM, #24
Reply Some things. +two questions I really really would like ..., Nightgaunt_, 27-Feb-04 07:13 PM, #27
Reply Hey Noob., ORB, 27-Feb-04 12:11 AM, #16
Reply Hrm..., zod, 27-Feb-04 06:03 PM, #26
Reply RE: Annoying game aspects, am I alone ??? (LONG) RANT, Valguarnera, 26-Feb-04 11:30 PM, #14
Reply Three questions for you, proudest blade!, Chalupah, 27-Feb-04 12:22 AM, #17
Reply RE: Three questions for you, proudest blade!, Zulghinlour, 27-Feb-04 01:39 AM, #19
Reply RE: Three questions, Valguarnera, 27-Feb-04 01:54 AM, #20
     Reply RE: Three questions, Dindon, 27-Feb-04 05:39 PM, #25
          Reply Who is this? He is my perfect example!, Chalupah, 27-Feb-04 09:11 PM, #28
Reply RE: Annoying game aspects, am I alone ??? (LONG) RANT, Isildur, 27-Feb-04 12:34 AM, #18
Reply my 3 cents, Dwoggurd, 27-Feb-04 07:44 AM, #21
Reply side note on riposite, Bajula, 26-Feb-04 11:03 PM, #12
Reply Don't bother, friend., Chalupah, 26-Feb-04 10:52 PM, #11
Reply Speaking as an avowed non-yes man, I don't really agree..., Vladamir, 26-Feb-04 11:24 PM #13
     Reply A reply! To pass the time.., Chalupah, 26-Feb-04 11:54 PM, #15
Reply RE: Annoying game aspects, am I alone ??? (LONG) RANT, nepenthe, 26-Feb-04 10:19 PM, #10
Reply I foresee that one day..., Catastrophic, 26-Feb-04 09:44 PM, #9
Reply Some responses, Arvam, 26-Feb-04 08:52 PM, #6
Reply firstly...it's dexTerity..., shokai, 26-Feb-04 08:43 PM, #5
Reply Uh dude, after reading your first point which is WRONG ..., Drekten, 26-Feb-04 08:02 PM, #2
Reply Your brains are outstanding, +3 to 9 dam roll, wow. txt, Rutsah, 26-Feb-04 08:11 PM, #3
     Reply Okay, now I did read your whole post., Drekten, 26-Feb-04 09:05 PM, #7
     Reply you are missing a lot, incognito, 26-Feb-04 09:32 PM, #8
Reply RE: Annoying game aspects, am I alone ??? (LONG) RANT, Isildur, 26-Feb-04 07:57 PM, #1
     Reply Yeah lots of stuff in there, sleep on it :) nt, Rutsah, 26-Feb-04 08:14 PM, #4
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #3991 Previous topic | Next topic