Subject: "RE: Neutrality, an inquiry on Alignment" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #3424
Show all folders

CaptainAverageSat 17-Jan-04 03:34 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
31 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3518, "RE: Neutrality, an inquiry on Alignment"

Having started shying away from the lightwalkers and having a personal distaste for the shadow walkers, I have come to start loving neutral characters. The epitome of these neutrals was my short-lived wood-elf Aeldermaine. He was a diplomat, and thus, made friends on either side. He adhered strictly to honor, and while he never slew the little children, he did slay those that walked the light at times, though with no discrimination.

Neutrality is more of an adherence to personal beliefs than strong sense of morality. The altars in the Academy define the tiers of neutrality perfectly, I think. Orderly neutral believes in law and government without concern of good or evil, neutral/neutral is a loose cannon with no regard for anything, really, and chaotic neutral would be the belief in total anarchy. Good could be defined as someone with scruples (obviously the good-hearted beggars on the street wouldn't kill someone for money, else they wouldn't have to be beggars), and the evil ones could be defined as lack of moral beliefs with selfish design.

I can fully understand that a neutral character could walk a line on either side of the good or evil scale, but not with the idea of moral accomplishment in mind, but with a purpose of something else. The Sylvans are mostly neutral because they adhere to the protection of the natural. They're driven with singular ambition to succeed in their goal without caring whether or not something is considered good or evil.

That's the best definition of neutrality I can think of. I would suggest reading all of the descriptions on all of the altars in the academy for a better understanding of the terms, as they were not written by fools (despite what many of you obviously think).

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicNeutrality, an inquiry on Alignment [View all] , Abthalok, Thu 08-Jan-04 07:46 AM
Reply We're talking fantasy alignments here, there's a slight..., Vecna, 27-Jan-04 08:44 AM, #8
Reply RE: Neutrality, an inquiry on Alignment, CaptainAverage, 17-Jan-04 03:34 AM #6
Reply People should read this post., Stunna, 08-Jan-04 01:10 PM, #2
Reply didn't the swiss hire out mercenaries? nt, incognito, 08-Jan-04 08:44 AM, #1
     Reply Like the Vaticans Swiss guard? :o> n/t, Evil Genius (Anonymous), 09-Jan-04 05:17 AM, #3
     Reply Exactly. Working for the highest bidder = neutrality. ..., Vladamir, 11-Jan-04 01:54 PM, #4
          Reply Laughable and utterly false statement, Evil Genius (Anonymous), 11-Jan-04 02:48 PM, #5
               Reply I disagree. Working purely for money is amoral, not imm..., Vladamir, 17-Jan-04 03:44 PM, #7
                    Reply RE: I disagree. Working purely for money is amoral, not..., Isildur, 27-Jan-04 10:45 AM, #9
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #3424 Previous topic | Next topic