Subject: "RE: Endless mob killing" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #20788
Show all folders

_Magus_Fri 14-Mar-08 12:19 AM
Member since 05th Dec 2006
430 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#20789, "RE: Endless mob killing"

That brings up an interesting point. The endless and mostly mindless mob killing that is associated with leveling can really feel like a drag if you create a character, then delete/auto/rage, and then get the urge to play again, only to have to do the same thing over again. The people who play one character, or maybe even two, and take those characters the distance, have a more enjoyable time. These people usually spend anywhere from 60-100 hours getting to hero, sometimes longer, but this seems to be the average. Then when you spend 1-200 hours at hero before deciding to eventually delete, you almost feel as though you're ready to experience the leveling grind again. But if you just keep going through the same cycle over and over, of course you aren't going to enjoy things.

Also, the game doesn't begin at hero. There really do seem to be a lot of people that thing leveling up into hero range is like a race. Like they can't be bothered to develop their character long before ever reaching hero.

That said, and this is what I'm hoping some feedback from, I'd like to see some really tough low level mobs, that give 1500-2000 experience per kill. If I get a decent group (warrior, bard, transmuter, or warrior, healer, shapeshifter, or some other power variation) at level 40, I can go rock skeletons on calandaryl, regardless of alignment, and crank out 5, 6, maybe 7 or 8 levels in a matter of an hour or two, if I know what I'm doing. So why aren't options like this available to lower level characters (like levels 20-40)? I wouldn't really feel like I'm grinding out levels if all the fights I were engaged in felt more like epic battles against light and darkness.

Some examples of this might be:

A mean lich in the Arkham Crypts who is raising all the skeletons/zombies. A group of level 20 lightwalkers goes and kills the lich, and they get 2K experience for it. Have Ghiska(sp) in Arkham initiate some talk with the group to help bring down the evil.

Make killing the trollmaster in the past worth a bunch of experience.

Put an Elven mage in the past with all the other elves.

Put a Dwarven Berserker in Akan.

The idea behind this being that a strong group of adventurers could try to really challenge themselves. There should be a risk of dying. But the mobs should also be killable within the reaches of of ranking group of that area. Plus, it would offer something to talk about for people. Someone stops by the Inn, excited to talk about their victory over the lich of the arkham crypts. People can add role segments about these things.

It should be noted that not every group will have the capability to bring down these single, tough mobs. But those that do, reap the big reward. And if some people felt that hey, let's just kill this one mob, get the big xp, then rest, then rinse repeat, that should be their choice. It might not end up being quicker than just killing 20 zombies real quick. But in some cases, it could be.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicWhy can't I hero? [View all] , colospgsbryan, Thu 13-Mar-08 11:40 PM
Reply RE: Why can't I hero?, Daevryn, 14-Mar-08 07:44 AM, #5
Reply Invest too much effort to throw one away, Mekantos, 14-Mar-08 01:08 AM, #2
Reply RE: Endless mob killing, _Magus_, 14-Mar-08 12:19 AM #1
     Reply Mausoleum in the twenties will blast you past some leve..., Theerkla, 14-Mar-08 05:03 AM, #3
     Reply RE: Endless mob killing, Daevryn, 14-Mar-08 07:40 AM, #4
          Reply I'd say the difference is...., Tac, 14-Mar-08 08:21 AM, #6
               Reply RE: I'd say the difference is...., Isildur, 14-Mar-08 11:39 AM, #7
               Reply Yeah, agreed., Eskelian, 31-Mar-08 08:52 AM, #8
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #20788 Previous topic | Next topic