Subject: "Roleplaying Realism" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #1636
Show all folders

AlaminoreSun 13-Jul-03 06:16 PM
Member since 07th Jul 2003
61 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#1636, "Roleplaying Realism"

Hello There.

Way out yonder in Thera, you might know me as Mossi(!), the semi-insane, gnomish cake creating Herald.

Now, this has been bothering me a bit and I'm just wondering if it bothers anyone else... That is, this:

!!A Complete And Utter Lack of Realism In Roleplay!!

Now, I'm probably guilty of this a bit myself, but I try to stay as realistic as possible when I roleplay. Mossi is a gnome... she's round and she waddles. She can't do backflips, so she doesn't. She can't sing, so she doesn't.

But there are those who just walk into a roleplay and are instantly capable of doing humanly (or felarly or arially or giantly or whateverly) impossible things. Or simply not realistic things. I understand a thief, trained in acrobatics, doing a backflip onto the bar. I don't understand a bard doing triple backflips and landing with relative ease on an unsturdy stool with a big grin flourish. I don't get that.

I've been brooding over this awhile. Maybe I just notice it because I play a Herald and Heralds deal a lot with things like that, but it's beginning to really bother me. Even little things, like making food in the Inn... it can be at least semi-realistic. But no... somehow the Inn has a limitless supply of whatever.

I'm just a little worried because it seems, sometimes, that my character is the only one around that is "human". Of course, not human, because she's a gnome, but you know what I mean. She's not a super, uh, woman. Yeah. If she's the only one who can't sing like an angel, can't dance like (hehe) Meladori, can't do backflips like a thief, can't cook like the Inn has a limitless supply of everything, can't write poetry... well... you get it... then what's left?

What's left for the, uh, little, er, girl?

I dunno.

Anyway, please rant back if you feel so inclined.

----- Alaminore, Of Course! -----

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicRoleplaying Realism [View all] , Alaminore, Sun 13-Jul-03 06:16 PM
Reply Realism, Gherian, 13-Jul-03 08:13 PM, #1
     Reply RE: Realism, Alaminore, 13-Jul-03 08:58 PM, #2
          Reply to expand what Gherian said..., shokai, 13-Jul-03 09:56 PM, #3
          Reply RE: Realism, Ululari, 14-Jul-03 11:10 AM, #4
               Reply Excellent rp is like a good characterization in a novel, Gwyn, 18-Jul-03 03:51 PM, #5
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #1636 Previous topic | Next topic