Subject: "RE: Weapons are like that too" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #1517
Show all folders

UlulariFri 04-Jul-03 04:29 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
120 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1544, "RE: Weapons are like that too"

>Nobody is going to try to swing their weapon AT your shield.

Sure they are. Oh, certainly, not at the center, but at least some of the time they'll try for spots near the edge -- and what with the fact that you're moving, your shield is moving (it's strapped to your arm, so you've got some good leverage), and they're moving.

If you've got a big shield, you can twist your body to avoid a blow and duck behind it. If you've got a small shield that's less likely, but also less likely is loss of strength or broken wrist to prevent you from moving it.

>Think about it. Are you going to walk up with your sword and
>start beating on a guy's shield if you're trying to kill them?
> That's like a boxer punching his opponent's gloves that are
>hanging around his stomach. I'll give you the -AC for the
>shield even with low strength, as it is still armor, but the
>shield block skill could feasibly become ineffective at some
>point.

Conceivably, sure. But shields -- especially big shields -- doen't have to move anywhere near as fast as a weapon to be effective.

That said, there is a certain amount of "real life cause" for a stronger person to have an advantage over a weaker person when blocking with a sheild. In game, though, I think that's mostly handled with classes ability with the skill.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicIdea for Balancing Dual Wield [View all] , josiah (inactive user), Tue 01-Jul-03 11:34 AM
Reply RE: Idea for Balancing Dual Wield, Quislet, 03-Jul-03 12:15 AM, #6
Reply yes and no, incognito, 01-Jul-03 02:23 PM, #2
Reply Further down a tangent, Hutto, 01-Jul-03 02:32 PM, #3
     Reply I agree.., Gabe, 01-Jul-03 03:19 PM, #4
          Reply I disagree, Quislet, 03-Jul-03 12:01 AM, #5
               Reply Weapons are like that too, josiah (Anonymous), 03-Jul-03 05:38 AM, #7
               Reply RE: Weapons are like that too, Ululari, 04-Jul-03 10:55 AM, #11
                    Reply RE: Weapons are like that too, Hutto, 04-Jul-03 11:34 AM, #12
                         Reply RE: Weapons are like that too, Ululari, 04-Jul-03 04:29 PM #13
               Reply Harum, Marcus_, 03-Jul-03 09:16 AM, #8
                    Reply RE: Harum, Quislet, 03-Jul-03 10:02 AM, #9
                    Reply RE: Harum, Circuits Edge (Anonymous), 03-Jul-03 10:10 AM, #10
Reply RE: Idea for Balancing Dual Wield, Circuits Edge (Anonymous), 01-Jul-03 12:39 PM, #1
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #1517 Previous topic | Next topic