Subject: "A little extra rambling." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #1279
Show all folders

QuisletFri 13-Jun-03 01:52 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
240 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1301, "A little extra rambling."

>From just reading this post you seem to have a good grasp of what
>roleplaying is. No Long-lasting Evil character? Does it intimidate
>you for some reason, or have you just not gotten around to it?

There's a few other reasons to not yet play a long-lasting evil character. My original reason and why I probably still wouldn't enjoy it, is because my introduction to RPGs was through the heroic school of playing, where playing an evil character often meant a falling apart of the group dynamic that paper and pencil RPGs usually depend on. I like and miss that kind of RP, and try to promote it when I'm running a game.

The other reason I don't play long-lasting evil is demonstrated by my short lived Nazmorghul follower: the character wasn't dedicated enough and was too easily tempted to the good (or at least neutral) side of things. That fault was entirely with the player in this case; I wasn't prepared to play truly evil then, and I don't yet feel ready to do it. If I can't do it well, I'd prefer to leave it to those who can.

>Carrion Fields is a PLAYERKILLING MUD, with RP enforced, not
>visa versa. It makes perfect sense and is to be expected that
>Cabals will constantly be warring with one another.

In fact, the RP that the cabal wars and other PKing brings is a large part of why the focus isn't on RP first and PK second. I've been to muds where PKing was optional but RP came first. They tend to degrade into social clubs. Instead of the OOC chatter about your day from olden times of CF, you end up with IC chatter about other characters, and only newbies bother to kill others. This is not what the playerbase of CF wants from CF, to my knowledge.

At the same time, RP is enforced so that we don't have rampant and pointless PK (see below). Cabal wars allow an IC reason for PK and various other adrenaline inducing activities (ie. raids, ambushes, etc).

>>So far, the most thought-out plan to go raid another cabal was
>>"We got eight members here. Let's go raid someone."

Sadly, that was about as far as it got before RP was truly enforced. Outside the cabal wars it was little more than an online first person shooter.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicStrength and Defiance [View all] , CaptainAverage, Wed 11-Jun-03 10:26 PM
Reply RE: Strength and Defiance, Isildur, 19-Jun-03 09:57 PM, #7
Reply Nicely said., Zepachu, 12-Jun-03 01:40 AM, #1
     Reply Random note re: ideas:, Valguarnera, 12-Jun-03 02:01 AM, #2
     Reply RE: Nicely said., Karel, 12-Jun-03 04:17 AM, #3
     Reply RE: Nicely said., Zepachu, 12-Jun-03 08:08 AM, #4
          Reply RE: Nicely said., Racli, 19-Jun-03 02:02 AM, #6
     Reply A little extra rambling., Quislet, 13-Jun-03 01:52 PM #5
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #1279 Previous topic | Next topic