Subject: "How CarrionField hates newbies" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #1800
Show all folders

XenianaWed 18-Jul-07 01:01 AM
Member since 18th Jul 2007
1 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#1800, "How CarrionField hates newbies"

Let me first say that though there may be ways to get around the problems Ive seen, do not know them and as I have played Carrionfields for a good amount of time, I think I know at least what the typical newbie knows.

First, there are a lot of ways to get stuck.
In Galadon, where newbies are encourages to start, the sewers have these cliffs which will let you move in any direction, but if you move in one or two of those directions you will find yourself in empty space with no available exits to you. From what I recall my character starved to death not being able to teleport or recall.
In the Grove there is a pool of water that when entered is too murky to have any exits. Fortunately I had just died so I was able to recall.
Then theres the possible combination of running out of food or water and either money or movement that will leave you stuck and starving. Id like to take this opportunity to thank a heroic dwarf that saved me by handing me a jug of water instead of killing me as I lay dying of thirst. His name started with an H.
Currently I am held within the imperial lands, with insufficiant funds to pay the toll. I can find no one there to kill besides a lizard with no money and no items, nor anyone to sell items to. There is no bank and none of my current items sell for enough to pay the toll (though combined my items are worth enough if I could sell them). Also there is no guild for conjurers in the area so I cant learn teleport as a last resort and I cant quit either. I imagine i can get someone to kill me. The Arkham trainer sent me in and warned me of the toll but not how impossible it was to pay on the way out.
By the way, the arkham trainer quest will reset if you reenter his room and say "yes".

Second- It seems like other players have maps of the world that will let them move automatically to the most obscure of places. Im sure this is the same with most other MUDs but it sure is irritating when someone hunting you can find out where you are more quickly than you yourself can. I dont know what MUD clients people use but as a mac user (G3) theres nothing that can let me do that.

Another thing I find frustrating is trying to team up with people and not knowing how to get to where they are. Teaming up of course is almost required in the game because having three people for some reason gives you more experience per kill and having three people means that things are three times as easy to kill. Killing by oneself seems rather pointless, and having a introverted roll is incredibly inconvenient. I try to get by on quests...and havent had much luck.

Yes Im bitter. I actually started playing carrion fields again because I wanted to be frustrated, but not like this. I had the urge to summon elementals and then lose control of them, because they were to powerful to control, Id not dismissed them before my control wore off, or Id try to dismiss them and fail, all resulting in the elementals hunting me down and killing me while I futily try to run (n n n n n e e s, aww *#%^! ).

Point being, I think Carrionfield could be made less hazardous and discouraging to newbies.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicHow CarrionField hates newbies [View all] , Xeniana, Wed 18-Jul-07 01:01 AM
Reply Good Advice, Kastellyn, 18-Jul-07 12:03 PM, #6
Reply RE: How CarrionField hates newbies, Rayihn, 18-Jul-07 06:25 AM, #4
Reply Rodriguez got most of it, but one more thing..., GinGa, 18-Jul-07 06:21 AM, #3
Reply Typo That Room Please!, Kastellyn, 18-Jul-07 11:50 AM, #5
Reply RE: How CarrionField hates newbies, Rodriguez, 18-Jul-07 06:01 AM, #2
Reply You are missing half the point of the game, incognito, 18-Jul-07 01:19 AM, #1
Top General Discussions New Player Q&A Topic #1800 Previous topic | Next topic