Subject: "Not really.." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top Non-CF Discussion "What Does RL Stand For?" Topic #975
Show all folders

Marcus_Tue 30-Jan-07 11:03 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
681 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#984, "Not really.."
Edited on Tue 30-Jan-07 11:12 AM

If somebody were to try SYN flooding cf (i.e. opening sockets until cap is reached or all resources are drained), it's a different number than the actual max number of connections.

In those kinds of DoS attacks, you spam-create half-open connections until that specific queue is filled up, and it becomes difficult for new players to connect. The already connected players can, however, stay on. So there's a specific number for half-open connections.

As for the original question: Depends on what OS the cf box is running. If it's solaris, there are two possibilities:
32-bit solaris = 256 connections
64-bit solaris = 65k limit by OS

The server probably runs either solaris 64 or linux, which would put max connections somewhere in the 5-digit range (guesstimation).

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicSockets. CF limit on connections? [View all] , TheDude, Fri 26-Jan-07 09:09 PM
Reply RE: Sockets. CF limit on connections?, Isildur, 28-Jan-07 05:24 PM, #1
     Reply I thought every socket was a file descriptor on Solaris, Theerkla, 28-Jan-07 07:20 PM, #2
          Reply RE: I thought every socket was a file descriptor on Sol..., Isildur, 28-Jan-07 07:41 PM, #3
               Reply Thanks. Both of you seem to be on it., TheDude, 30-Jan-07 12:52 AM, #4
                    Reply Probably aren't going to get that info about CF, Tac, 30-Jan-07 09:12 AM, #5
                    Reply Not really.., Marcus_, 30-Jan-07 11:12 AM #7
                         Reply RE: Not really.., Isildur, 30-Jan-07 06:53 PM, #8
                              Reply But that would be multiplaying, which is wrong and agai..., Marcus_, 05-Feb-07 07:12 AM, #9
                    Reply RE: Thanks. Both of you seem to be on it., Isildur, 30-Jan-07 10:45 AM, #6
Top Non-CF Discussion "What Does RL Stand For?" Topic #975 Previous topic | Next topic