Subject: "Thanks. Both of you seem to be on it." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top Non-CF Discussion "What Does RL Stand For?" Topic #975
Show all folders

TheDudeTue 30-Jan-07 12:45 AM
Member since 20th Sep 2005
283 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#981, "Thanks. Both of you seem to be on it."
Edited on Tue 30-Jan-07 12:52 AM

I'm running on Mac OS X right now. Theerkla's correct- the sockets are file descriptors and there's a setting to up the default from, I believe, 512. Supposedly the default is dynamically upped when more sockets are requested, but I've not gotten my server to handle more than a hard limit of ~500. No worries though, this is plenty for now so I haven't forced the issue.

And yep Isildur, my whole world starts slowing down when I reach the limits so I'm keeping it under 500 until if and when I need to boost my hardware/code to accomodate. It's a CPU cycle bottleneck with some 500 threads going on (i.e. my application/hardware) not a socket issue, per se. So at the end of the day I've got a strong feeling that my code/hardware's going to be the limiting factor, not the socket limitations..as you warned. I'm happy with that.

Thanks!

(still curious how many connections CF could handle though, har).

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

TopicSockets. CF limit on connections? [View all] , TheDude, Fri 26-Jan-07 09:09 PM
Reply RE: Sockets. CF limit on connections?, Isildur, 28-Jan-07 05:24 PM, #1
     Reply I thought every socket was a file descriptor on Solaris, Theerkla, 28-Jan-07 07:20 PM, #2
          Reply RE: I thought every socket was a file descriptor on Sol..., Isildur, 28-Jan-07 07:41 PM, #3
               Reply Thanks. Both of you seem to be on it., TheDude, 30-Jan-07 12:52 AM #4
                    Reply Probably aren't going to get that info about CF, Tac, 30-Jan-07 09:12 AM, #5
                    Reply Not really.., Marcus_, 30-Jan-07 11:12 AM, #7
                         Reply RE: Not really.., Isildur, 30-Jan-07 06:53 PM, #8
                              Reply But that would be multiplaying, which is wrong and agai..., Marcus_, 05-Feb-07 07:12 AM, #9
                    Reply RE: Thanks. Both of you seem to be on it., Isildur, 30-Jan-07 10:45 AM, #6
Top Non-CF Discussion "What Does RL Stand For?" Topic #975 Previous topic | Next topic