Show all folders

5-time Paladin (Guest)Thu 25-Mar-04 02:38 PM

#25727, ""Realism" vrs. gameplayability"

>Who says it's for lightwalkers? Assuming you're ranking own
>pawns, it is a lot better to rank their as neutrals or evils
>since you have 16 pawns to kill before having to walk back
>instead of eight. It's not like there are no alternative
>ranking areas either

I've always felt it's been for both, why else have good and evil pawns?

>Too many, doesn't make it right in my eyes. Elite dwarven
>guards are protecting their king and fighting Duergar
> remember the EEEVIL dwarves?)

Yes, I know duergar are evil, thanks for the update. And here's where my points about suspension of belief and the fact that Tatooed Paladins, HERO-IMMS AND IMMS have done it.

I mean, if you want to play an uber-dwarf and refuse to do so, I think that's something that should be rewarded of course, but if so many paragons of good and virtue do it, why can't I?

>Were I an imm I'd have changed that code day one of having the
>power to do so, I'd make it so they just told you to go piss
>off.

But they haven't, now have they? I wonder why? Mayby it's so Goodies arn't shut out of getting certain types of EQ and given a valid IC reason to do it.

>I don't buy paladins being unplayable without being able to
>cause mobs to attack by requesting. When you can guarantee
>the outcome of request being dead mob, just kill them in the
>first place, you are doing the same thing.

I never said that they were unplayable, but being so hard on them getting basic EQ quickly is a gameplay, fun issue.

How many goodies kill tarus for bracers and the ghost for the templar's crown? Are they all now evil/neutral in your eyes??

>A paladin should be able to type outfit in the guild, find a
>sword to request or grab it off of an evil mob and pk. Also,
>plenty of evil mobs have stuff that is not anti-good. Ever
>notice the commune Remove Taint in your supplication list?

OK, so it's OK to wear a dwarven ribcage and wield a sword of wailing sould as a pally because the taint is gone?

>>So you'd reject a newbie paladin that killed for the Short
>>sword of swiftness and a shirt of shining chain? Jeese man!
>Let's see, Paladin, bastion of light and goodness goes
>storming into a castle and kills the guy trying to run the
>place and steals his sword and armor. Damn right I'd give
>them a warning over that and unempower them if they kept it
>up. Ever read the code?

Yeah, espeically the part about upholding and respecting the Law. You know, where you get THE DEATH PENALTY for stealing bread if you're starving to death or stealing 2 coppers off of someone.

This is a realism vrs. gameplayability issue and the current balance on killing neutral mobs, thus far, was worked well.

>Yup. Gee, and there aren't any other replacements you could
>possibly find or go to a shop and buy.

Wow. You're telling me to buy EQ in a shop. Sorry, hoss, that speaks for itself.

Yes, there are always alternates, but why should goodies be shut out so utterly with stuff that's on neutral mobs?

>Play a neutral then.

Nah.

>Still not buying it, not only are there evil mobs you can
>regear off of, they are summonable, so you don't even have to
>walk around to them. Paladin's are absolutely the easiest
>class to play in the game as long as you can stay empowered.

But yet they should be "hard to play" according to you a few scant paraghaps down????

>Say it all you want, doesn't change my mind. Paladin's have a
>code, it is stringent for a reason. Play a neutral warrior if
>you aren't willing to follow it.

I'm fine with a Code, I love it, let's just clear up what's kosher and not kosher.

>>Also, in D+D I'd just kill the mother wyvern and set lord
>>tabershaw free, or just get a group of heroes to end the War
>>in Mortorn, but I can't do that here now can I?
>>
>>Suspension of belief swings both ways.
>>
>Finally, a valid point.

*gasp* You like me....you really, really like me! *swoon*

>Please tell me how to differentiate killing one or two nice
>guys out of sheer greed vs. killing many, and how it's okay to
>do as a lightwalker?

Re-equipping does not equal sheer greed. Yeah, it's a fuzzy issue, killing neutral mobs, but it's also done for OOC gameplay and balance.

Why else was there a healer in the Battlerager's shrine? Fuzzy, but needed for balance.

I mean, damn, do you really think a single anti-paladin or necro would be allowed in half of the cities in Thera??? In D+D these places only exist in secret or in uber-evil places like Thay.

But on a MUD, they need to practice somewhere.

>Again, that barbarian doesn't attack until after you request,
>see above.

I refer my right honorable friend to the answers I gave some moments ago.

>300%? Maybe 100%, but as far as I'm concerned, Paladin's are
>supposed to be hard to play.

Once again, I refer my right honorable friend to the answers I gave some moments ago.

>Be happy I'm not an imm and haven't been you're patron. You
>would probably have been unempowered 5 times.

But I wasn't. Why?

Listen, before this de-evolves into a flame war, we've had this unspoken understanding about neutral mobs for a long time now. If it's supposed to be different and this isn't just one IMMs dissenting view, so be it.

I won't ever lay a hand on poor ol' Tarus again, if that's the new standard.

But I don't think so. It's not fair to make things so much easier for evils, Hero-Imms and Imms have done it, though not in excess, why should things not continue as they are?

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

HOT Topic(DELETED) [None] Oltrambel the Hammer of Heretics, Seek... [View all] , Death_Angel, Wed 24-Mar-04 10:16 PM
Reply Was fun, and thanks for your help., Audriel (Guest), 26-Mar-04 04:26 AM, #27
Reply Too bad., Baldar (Guest), 25-Mar-04 10:39 AM, #16
Reply Too bad., Baldar (Guest), 25-Mar-04 10:39 AM, #15
Reply Olty!, Calcifer (Guest), 25-Mar-04 06:03 AM, #12
Reply Had fun until I was an idiot momentarily...., Dindon, 24-Mar-04 11:19 PM, #1
     Reply Wait..., Someone (Guest), 25-Mar-04 12:39 AM, #2
     Reply Paladins and neutrality, Phaelim (Anonymous), 25-Mar-04 03:56 AM, #7
          Reply So.......?, permanewbie, 25-Mar-04 04:07 AM, #8
               Reply Re: So.......?, Phaelim (Anonymous), 25-Mar-04 04:12 AM, #9
               Reply Not that I am disagreeing with you...., permanewbie, 25-Mar-04 04:45 AM, #10
               Reply RE: Not that I am disagreeing with you...., Phaelim (Anonymous), 25-Mar-04 05:06 AM, #11
               Reply There goes Taurus' bracers, Templar Crowns....., 5-time Pally (Guest), 25-Mar-04 11:18 AM, #17
                    Reply having played a paladin too, Daurwyn (Guest), 25-Mar-04 12:12 PM, #19
                    Reply RE: There goes Taurus' bracers, Templar Crowns....., Theerkla, 25-Mar-04 12:56 PM, #21
                         Reply "Realism" vrs. gameplayability, 5-time Paladin (Guest), 25-Mar-04 02:38 PM #22
                              Reply Sorry, but:, Valguarnera, 25-Mar-04 02:59 PM, #23
                                   Reply Well, alright., 5-time Paladin (Guest), 25-Mar-04 03:54 PM, #24
                                        Reply Since I'm almost always misunderstood, Theerkla, 25-Mar-04 04:17 PM, #25
                                             Reply Gotcha., 5-time paladin (Guest), 25-Mar-04 04:35 PM, #26
               Reply Absolutely correct, Theerkla, 25-Mar-04 07:23 AM, #13
                    Reply I don't even buy the remorse thing, incognito, 25-Mar-04 12:19 PM, #20
     Reply RE: Had fun until I was an idiot momentarily...., Phaelim (Anonymous), 25-Mar-04 12:49 AM, #3
     Reply RE: Had fun until I was an idiot momentarily...., Dindon, 25-Mar-04 01:09 AM, #5
     Reply RE: Had fun until I was an idiot momentarily...., Stef (Guest), 25-Mar-04 01:04 AM, #4
     Reply RE: Had fun until I was an idiot momentarily...., Dindon, 25-Mar-04 01:12 AM, #6
     Reply well done. except the delete part..., Glilanthis (Guest), 25-Mar-04 09:08 AM, #14
          Reply RE: well done. except the delete part..., Dindon, 25-Mar-04 11:57 AM, #18
Top General Discussions The Battlefield Topic #25702 Previous topic | Next topic