Subject: "(AP) variety is the spice of life" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Santa Umishuli 2023 Topic #126
Show all folders

xyfaThu 28-Dec-23 02:54 PM
Member since 03rd Mar 2018
151 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#126, "(AP) variety is the spice of life"

Every AP uses fire/lightning controls if they have them or (maybe) unholy for people who resist elemental. Cold/acid see no real use if the ap has the choice not to use them. Both of these controls seem designed around the principle of firing multiple times and stacking up over the course of a fight (low impact per hit but stacking affect which is fun), but against players this doesn't really work in practice because you're rolling multiple dices just to have a chance at one firing:
Defence di. Do I hit them.
Control di. Will the control fire this hit.
(Speculatively) save di. Will they save against the affect.

Fights where people are getting hit a lot resolve too fast for this to matter one way or the other. Fights where people aren't getting hit a lot mean the control won't fire anyway. This also really applies to unholy control, but that one lets you poke holes in duergars/dwarves so everyone likes it anyway.

Tldr: feels like these have been balanced around the one hit wonder of lightning control's on hit affect and basically see no use due to it. This is sad because they're super cool mechanics, and it would be more interesting if every AP wasn't using the same two controls.

For Christmas I would ask for the sad and forgotten children
of the blasphemous five to get some love, and if I can only pick one make it acid because that affect is super unique and at least you get cold before lightning so you might use it due to no other choice. My thought was just to turn these into non damaging progs so they fill the roll of more finesse controls but aren't locked into the melee system, but anything would be sweet and we can all roll aps for April in celebration.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

IshuliWed 03-Jan-24 08:15 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2017
2173 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#149, "Soft coal"
In response to Reply #0

We already made these more accessible by reducing the requirements for getting them.

Per Umi:
Controls aren't underpowered and you only have them in the first place if you're someone who doesn't really need the help

Per me:
I think they're fine, but in the spirit of Santa I'll give you more info about what the burning acid of heglial-gil does since everyone has misconceptions about it.

The big benefit of it is that it makes your victim take more damage from ALL sources. Including you. That has some uses.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Top General Discussions Santa Umishuli 2023 Topic #126 Previous topic | Next topic