Subject: "A few ideas" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #9536
Show all folders

Balec666Wed 27-Jul-05 08:37 PM
Member since 25th Jul 2005
4 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#9536, "A few ideas"

I just had a few thoughts and experiences to share from other MUDs I've been on only the best of the best though

Passive experience-Leveling without fighting. Mostly for characters who choose to remain non-violent or are a non-violent class such as Bard. It would stop adding up when you start fighting and takes awhile to kick back in after your done fighting.

Cpose-Allowing a Character to change his position and letting other characters see this position i.e Balec is sitting here with a faraway look in his eyes.

Letting bards write their own lyrics on top of what they already have
it goes excellently with the roleplaying of a Bard and allows them a job entertaining people in Taverns and putting on concerts and contest and the like.

I really think this is one of the best MUDs I have ever been on and I hope to make a contribution. I also hope you genuinely take my ideas into consideration because I feel they would make this MUD even better than what it is.

Stop reading these posts of mine they're only gonna make yah more stupid.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: A few ideas, Eskelian, 01-Aug-05 03:26 AM, #14
Reply RE: A few ideas, Eshval, 28-Jul-05 11:16 AM, #9
Reply Perhaps the most underused command, Haggler, 28-Jul-05 11:22 AM, #10
     Reply You're correct, Eshval, 30-Jul-05 11:31 PM, #13
Reply RE: Passive experience:, Valguarnera, 28-Jul-05 08:45 AM, #8
Reply RE: Passive experience:, Balec666, 29-Jul-05 08:09 PM, #11
Reply RE: A few ideas, DurNominator, 28-Jul-05 07:38 AM, #7
Reply RE: A few ideas, Theerkla, 28-Jul-05 06:40 AM, #6
Reply RE: A few ideas, appelsien, 27-Jul-05 09:07 PM, #1
     Reply RE: A few ideas, Balec666, 27-Jul-05 11:13 PM, #2
          Reply Eh?, DurNominator, 28-Jul-05 01:36 AM, #3
               Reply RE: Eh?, Balec666, 28-Jul-05 03:38 AM, #4
                    Reply RE: Eh?, DurNominator, 28-Jul-05 04:28 AM, #5
                    Reply RE: Eh?, Kastellyn, 31-Jul-05 10:12 AM, #12

EskelianMon 01-Aug-05 03:26 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
2023 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#9586, "RE: A few ideas"
In response to Reply #0

Passive experience-Leveling without fighting. Mostly for characters who choose to remain non-violent or are a non-violent class such as Bard. It would stop adding up when you start fighting and takes awhile to kick back in after your done fighting.

- Sorta defeats the purpose of experience. Variety of class-specific quests would accomplish that better. This would just encourage botting.

Cpose-Allowing a Character to change his position and letting other characters see this position i.e Balec is sitting here with a faraway look in his eyes.

it goes excellently with the roleplaying of a Bard and allows them a job entertaining people in Taverns and putting on concerts and contest and the like.

-Going to lump these two together. The problem is like when warcry first became customizable and people would make warcries like :

John looks more stalwart as he yells, 'Spoooon!!!!!!!!'

-#### like that is bad. So, short of normal conversation and stuff like the 'music' command people should've be able to restring themselves, its just too annoying to police.

I really think this is one of the best MUDs I have ever been on and I hope to make a contribution. I also hope you genuinely take my ideas into consideration because I feel they would make this MUD even better than what it is.

- Gotta give the imms props for that, they do act on player suggestions. I'm hoping they fix thieves for instance .

EshvalThu 28-Jul-05 11:16 AM
Member since 22nd Aug 2004
519 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#9551, "RE: A few ideas"
In response to Reply #0

This looks like it would easily be abused by folks sitting in their guilds or the bottom of the ocean, doing nothing.

Presently, stringing a character's description is a venue for immortals to reward characters for exceptional (or poor) rp, quests, and the like.

Anyone is welcome to compose and submit original works. Heralds are often highly encouraged to perform their own pieces. Bards may also use the 'sing' command to perform/express their songs throughout the area they inhabit, as well as post their pieces for all to read. Such original works can be written on scrolls, or evern submitted to the Lyceum for addition to the library.

Eshval's email
BlackMarquessa@gmail.com

Eshval's slightly off-center (unofficial) blog.
http://blackmarquessa.blogspot.com/
Carnivàle
http://cirquecarnivale.wordpress.com/

HagglerThu 28-Jul-05 11:22 AM
Member since 30th Jun 2005
110 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#9552, "Perhaps the most underused command"
In response to Reply #9

But I could have sworn it was "music" and not "sing". Hearing a bard use it in Galadon to sing about the law and order was really classy.

Author's note: Please do not take this post to mean that I think every bard should start spamming songs every ten minutes in Galadon. Lots of people will be very unhappy.

EshvalSat 30-Jul-05 11:31 PM
Member since 22nd Aug 2004
519 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#9581, "You're correct"
In response to Reply #10

It is music.

Eshval's email
BlackMarquessa@gmail.com

Eshval's slightly off-center (unofficial) blog.
http://blackmarquessa.blogspot.com/
Carnivàle
http://cirquecarnivale.wordpress.com/

ValguarneraThu 28-Jul-05 08:45 AM
6904 posts
#9550, "RE: Passive experience:"
In response to Reply #0

1) Bards are not classified as "non-violent". You can choose to play a bard with a more peaceful outlook, but it's not 'part of the class' in the sense that we'd enforce that.

2) We have a number of methods of gaining experience outside of combat, as another poster noted. (See 'help experience'.) They aren't intended as a substitute for adventure as much as a supplement to it, however.

3) We definitely won't give you XP merely for being online. Did you mean for there to be a condition or trigger for these kinds of gains? We're not interested in rewarding people for being inactive-- exactly the opposite.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

Balec666Fri 29-Jul-05 08:09 PM
4 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#9577, "RE: Passive experience:"
In response to Reply #8

I meant yeah there are triggers like you gotta keep moving doin stuff for it to work if you go into the void it will stop working as well and the second you are in a fight it stops and believe me it isnt easy to gain it at all when your doing it passively but it fits some classes

DurNominatorThu 28-Jul-05 07:38 AM
Member since 08th Nov 2004
2018 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#9549, "RE: A few ideas"
In response to Reply #0

I recall someone referring to CF bards as 'death on a stick'. Classes aren't inherently non-violent, though some characters may be. I like the idea of getting xp from many sources other than just killing mobs, but you shouldn't be getting xp for doing nothing.

>Cpose-Allowing a Character to change his position and letting
>other characters see this position i.e Balec is sitting here
>with a faraway look in his eyes.

Currently CF has as in-room descriptions:

Balec is here (standing)
Balec is resting here (resting)
Balec is sleeping here (sleeping)

In addition to this, you can tell your position to others with an emote:

emote is sitting here with a faraway look in his eyes.

If I understood correctly, you want to change the in-room description manually with this cpose. The downside is some people abusing cpose to mask their true position.

This idea has some good in it. The problem with coupling this with sing would be people mistaking these songs with actual bard songs. To some extent, this can be done with music-command. The change I'd make would be changing the music command in such fashion, that the player could choose the color of his music message. New syntax in this case being: music <color> <message>. I think this would give nice additional RP touch to bards musicing stuff.

TheerklaThu 28-Jul-05 06:40 AM
1055 posts
#9548, "RE: A few ideas"
In response to Reply #0

>Passive experience-Leveling without fighting. Mostly for
>characters who choose to remain non-violent or are a
>non-violent class such as Bard. It would stop adding up when
>you start fighting and takes awhile to kick back in after your
>done fighting.
>
You can get exp for quests that involve no killing, skill improvements, commerce, exploration, and as a reward from imms for good roleplaying. The imm stance is you will absolutely never get exp for sitting around doing nothing, or this isn't carrionfields.

>
Decent idea, but it has some problems (much like descriptions with actions in them) in that the position might not make sense for the current situation.
>
>
>Letting bards write their own lyrics on top of what they
>already have

Their have been bard lyrics contests before, while this is a good RP idea, very few players would actually compose original lyrics. Also, the imms would have to snoop all the bards to ensure they aren't using anything that is copyright proteced.

appelsienWed 27-Jul-05 09:07 PM
Member since 08th Jun 2004
108 posts
#9537, "RE: A few ideas"
In response to Reply #0

>Passive experience-Leveling without fighting. Mostly for
>characters who choose to remain non-violent or are a
>non-violent class such as Bard. It would stop adding up when <snip>

How will this work ? This a PK mud, every class gets involved
in violence. What is your idea ? The system (except some lil
flaws that do not matter now) is good enough.

the command REST, as well as others, allows an emote, see helpfiles.

>Letting bards write their own lyrics on top of what they
>already have
>it goes excellently with the roleplaying of a Bard and allows
>them a job entertaining people in Taverns and putting on
>concerts and contest and the like.

This would give the imms, which seem already overtaxed
with tasks and perhaps busy with other duties as administration
and including newer content a real nightmare to administrate
and oversee the whole bard population in their new lyrics.
A lot of warriors mess up with their warcries and get it nullified,
I do not see how this will work out. You have the option to mail in
some new lyric idea and I am sure the imps might consider those
depending on the song as well as repertoire (or however it is spelled).

Balec666Wed 27-Jul-05 11:13 PM
4 posts
#9539, "RE: A few ideas"
In response to Reply #1

Actually with the MUD as RP strict as it is I wouldnt think that it would be neccsary to monitor the songs if someone is out of character with there songs they probably shouldn't be playing the MUD anyway.
The songs I am talking about wouldnt have any sort of special abilities to them just songs you can sing. For example singing a song about the adventures of a brave hero or perhaps a good drinking song when people are in the pub drinking away there troubles sad songs of lament and well you get the idea. I didnt mean for these diddles to have any sort of action behind them at all just good old songs people can write and sing I happen to know it's been done quite abit before I used to play on a MUD that had it and they never had any sort of issues regarding that particular aspect of being a bard (Though I must admit they had some issues but that didnt apply)So now I hope you understand

DurNominatorThu 28-Jul-05 01:36 AM
2018 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#9540, "Eh?"
In response to Reply #2

>The songs I am talking about wouldnt have any sort of special
>abilities to them just songs you can sing. For example singing
>a song about the adventures of a brave hero or perhaps a good
>drinking song when people are in the pub drinking away there
>troubles sad songs of lament and well you get the idea.

Is there something wrong with the music-command bards have in order to do this? I think it fills your criteria for this. And what comes to actual bard songs with affects, they already have four different repertoires to choose the lyrics from, which is pretty nice improvement for them.

Balec666Thu 28-Jul-05 03:38 AM
4 posts
#9545, "RE: Eh?"
In response to Reply #3

If there is such a command I didnt find it listed under class skills for bards because otherwise I would not have mentioned it to save looking like a total jackass I am begining to think that mentioning some helpful ideas was not such a good idea after I apologize for any inconvenience I caused and it wont happen again

DurNominatorThu 28-Jul-05 04:28 AM
2018 posts
#9546, "RE: Eh?"
In response to Reply #4

>If there is such a command I didnt find it listed under class
>skills for bards because otherwise I would not have mentioned
>it to save looking like a total jackass I am begining to think
>that mentioning some helpful ideas was not such a good idea
>after I apologize for any inconvenience I caused and it wont
>happen again

Now that's a wrong attitude. If you feel that you have something to contribute, feel free to post your suggestion. If you come up with one useful idea, it is enough to excuse the ten stupid ones you come up with and bother us with.

And what comes to music, it's not a skill, it's a bard only yell. Here's the yell helpfile for your convenience. I suggest that you read this helpfile and other helpfiles for seemingly simple commands such as say and tell and see if you learn anything new from them(needless to say, this is not a flame. I just checked these two before suggesting them to you).

Finding one useful command not previously known to you makes looking the helpfiles worth the trouble. Using the help search here on CF page makes reading those helpfiles quick and simple for you.

http://www.carrionfields.org/display.html?hid=277&osea=music

KastellynSat 30-Jul-05 10:24 AM
864 posts
#9578, "RE: Eh?"
In response to Reply #4
Edited on Sun 31-Jul-05 10:12 AM

I want to second what DurNominator said: If you have ideas that you think might be good for the MUD...post them! Sure, not everyone (players and Imms alike) my like them or support them, but you will rarely get flamed and you just might have the grain of a good idea in your post. Player suggestions have been incorporated into the game in the past (not always in their original form), and we will continue to do so in the future.

At a bare minimum, threads such as these can help us update or modify our helpfiles (which I just did, adding 'MUSIC' to the other helpfiles referenced in 'help BARD') to make them more comprehensive, by allowing us to 'see' them from a fresh perspective.

So thanks for your post! Keep 'em coming!

Kastellyn the Devourer of Magic, Lord of Legends

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #9536 Previous topic | Next topic