Subject: "Does anyone miss just plain ole hack and slash/non-role..." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #922
Show all folders

geezerThu 01-May-03 11:26 PM
Member since 19th Apr 2003
4 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#922, "Does anyone miss just plain ole hack and slash/non-role play once in a while?"

Role playing is all fine and good. But it makes mudding so time consunming. C'mon people, don't some of you miss mindless hack and slash once in a while eh? Honestly, i thought it was pretty cool talking about OOC stuff over cabal channel. "Dude, you're MARRRIED?!!! You gonna teach your kids to MUD too?" This isn't a post about what's better... just if anyone actually misses things being totally laid back vs up-tight. Wanna share stories over a drink? Meet at the Inn and talk .. "Yeah i just went to a party and got totally sloshed. I'm mudding drunk right now. Doh gotta puke ..brb.."

In case you all are wondering, there isn't supposed to be a point to this post ... =D

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply No, go play quake or whatever. nt, Xaannix, 06-May-03 10:27 AM, #9
Reply RE: Does anyone miss just plain ole hack and slash/non-..., Isildur, 02-May-03 11:41 PM, #6
Reply Ummmm let me think...NO!, Gwyn, 02-May-03 07:49 PM, #5
Reply RE: Hammering on screws., Valguarnera, 02-May-03 05:15 PM, #4
Reply No. Well, not much., Quislet, 02-May-03 01:19 PM, #3
Reply oy!, shokai, 02-May-03 12:29 PM, #2
Reply RE: oy!, geezer, 03-May-03 12:29 PM, #7
     Reply RE: oy!, Quislet, 06-May-03 09:46 AM, #8
Reply Then I would leave this mud for something else. nt, ATK, 02-May-03 04:31 AM, #1

XaannixTue 06-May-03 10:27 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
499 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#943, "No, go play quake or whatever. nt"
In response to Reply #0

nt

IsildurFri 02-May-03 11:41 PM
5969 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#932, "RE: Does anyone miss just plain ole hack and slash/non-..."
In response to Reply #0

You act as if "no ooc idiocy" and "hack and slash" are mutually exclusive. They're not. There are plenty of people, myself occasionally being one, who don't blatantly go ooc yet whose roles, if they have them, are fairly simple and geared for pk.

GwynFri 02-May-03 07:49 PM
Member since 17th Apr 2003
38 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#931, "Ummmm let me think...NO!"
In response to Reply #0

What makes CF fun is the balance of pk and rp. Hack and slash just gets boring when it is mindless and there is no reasoning behind it.

What makes CF fun is that when you get your butt kicked, or you get your shinies stolen, or you beat up the other guy...there is a reason for it. Political intrigue, romantic triangles, religious zeal, loyalty, betrayal, all of these things give the game realism, depth, and make playing a character a lot of fun.

Just beating someone down to see if you can do it gets old and boring and IMHO is a big cause for a lot of rage deletion.

And bringing in OOC chat...yuck! That ruins the whole experience!
By the gods, I can just hear it ..."I killed your character because I had a sucky day at work, so I took out my frustrations by pincering you to death...sorry, man!"

I used to play at a MUD where people chatted over one of the channels and it got very frustrating. Not only listening to people's personal issues and problems, but also people trying to manipulate the roleplay of your character to fit with the way they wanted the storyline to develop. I hated that! It took away all the sponteneity and suspense of not knowing how the other character would react to what you were doing. Fortunately there was a toggle to turn that channel off so I always did and the MUD is a lot more IC strict now than it used to be.

CF is great just the way it is as far as balancing rp and pk and keeping it all IC. At least at the higher ranks. There are still a lot of lowbies who pk for the heck of it and that's a pain, but I try to avoid them if I can.

Just my two cents worth.

Smile - It can't hurt and might help.

ValguarneraFri 02-May-03 05:15 PM
6904 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#929, "RE: Hammering on screws."
In response to Reply #0

There's a number of games which provide exactly this, but it's just not what Carrion Fields is about. There are games which are purely RP, with no combat beyond what the players emote/pose at one another. That's not us either.

We provide a niche. The game isn't for everyone, but it isn't supposed to be. If you enjoy a game that is purely RP or purely PK, it'd probably be more productive to investigate games that are intended to provide that, rather than asking here.

Personally, I've never understood the chatroom-with-strangers appeal that an OOC MUD provides. If I want to talk to random people about the last party they went to, I go to the bar down the street from where I live. Some people obviously like chatrooms- too many exist to argue otherwise- but it's not my cup of tea, and that's part of why I like CF.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

QuisletFri 02-May-03 01:19 PM
240 posts
#928, "No. Well, not much."
In response to Reply #0

Back when OOC topics ran rampant on the cabal channels, I really hated all the pointless and idiotic chatter. However, I accepted it inside the fairly private grouptell and tell communications. It kept a few things short and simple, and let you ask relatively innocuous questions with easy to understand replies. (like "Which way to the Emerald Forest from Galadon?" and getting a reply in single letter direction shorthand)

Unfortunately, it promoted all sorts of things that were eventually listed as Against The Rules.

So, even though I miss being able to make simple comments like the reason why I have to leave suddenly, or when I'd be back, or even why I was gone for a week:

We're better off the way things are now.

---Quislet

PS. OOC conversations in-game can lead to bizarre results, since if not for them, I couldn't have sat in on a conversation with Nimbus when he was a newbie Immortal, and gotten the completely misleading idea that his religion was pro-mage. (he was discussing ideas for invokers with a Windgust, since we didn't yet have these forums)

shokaiFri 02-May-03 12:29 PM
519 posts
#926, "oy!"
In response to Reply #0

Before coming to CF I played a mud that I now generally refer to as a nightmarish-comic-book-caricature of a mud. It was pretty much pure hack and slash, and the assholes came out like mad. When there wasn't a flamewar running rampant on the global chat channel, there was always about 4 notes telling everyone about some girl that the guy writing it supposedly schtuped the weekend before last. Oh, I should I mention the if the imms liked how well you ####ted with others you'd get promoted and generally just handed sparkly gear? Now for all of you drooling over this mud, I'll hit some bad sides that go hand in hand with this mentality on every mud I've seen (and by bad sides I mean things that make everyone cringe, not just me) punishments were handed out just as rewards were, totally based on whim. There was no level range for pk, and there were spells that were one shot area affect high damage. Meaning that the level 50 mage could, and generally did, stand right outside the newbie school and pop his spell off. Then, when the global death channel echoed how many people (mostly level 1s) had just died, he'd get applause. Still sound like fun?

My biggest problem with pure hack and slash is that it becomes Everquest without the graphics. If I want hack and slash I can load up several games I've bought or go back to my old ADOM and Slash'em files and get all the mindless hack and slash I want. If I want to chat with strangers about it while I do it, I'm reasonably certain I could find a chat room somewhere. What makes CF so wonderfully different, and one of the reasons I myself get so cranky when people don't roleplay, is that the mix of roleplay with hack and slash. In theory, at least, there's a reason why the guy just popped up and killed you. There's a reason why you're hunting whowever you're hunting. There's a reason you do or don't sac/return all the gear. More than that, there's 2 challenges to CF, the most obvious is the one everyone overemphasises: pk. Pure and simple it's killed and be killed. For those who pay more attention I see a lot of praise headed towards the good rpers as well, and as that's the second challenge in CF (or the first, I'm not really ordering them here)...well, I think I've said more than enough about my disdain for hack and slash.

...and Floofi hugged the Kerrak and all was laid to non-combative floofination!

geezerSat 03-May-03 12:29 PM
Member since 19th Apr 2003
4 posts
#934, "RE: oy!"
In response to Reply #2

I think i meant to concentrate more on the OOC aspect then hack and slash.

Let me reiterate my statement. I'm not saying what is better, or what CF does or does not stand for. I'm also not talking about anything extreme, like a chatroom or having global flame notes etc. Imagine CF as it is now .. but only SOME OOC is allowed.

But hey, i'm not saying i have a thing against rp'ing. It's all good. Just wondering if anyone misses the times when it WASN'T at all prevalent ... But i guess that's a big NO. hehe.

Oh and c'mon ..CF never had problems with IMM's power-tripping??!!

QuisletTue 06-May-03 09:46 AM
240 posts
#942, "RE: oy!"
In response to Reply #7

>Oh and c'mon ..CF never had problems with IMM's power-tripping??!!

Sure has, but those IMM's don't tend to be around long, do they? And no, I don't include Cador, his power trip was entirely RP.

ATKFri 02-May-03 04:31 AM
59 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#925, "Then I would leave this mud for something else. nt"
In response to Reply #0

sf

ATK

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #922 Previous topic | Next topic